Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Carlton green »

The Financial Times says Mr Johnson's insistence that he did not knowingly mislead Parliament stretches credulity, and he has shown it the same disrespect as he has the British people. The paper concludes he's "unfit to lead". Strong words indeed from a paper that’s more into fact that opinion.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-61588024
Johnson must now have his fingers crossed that Starmer doesn't get fined and resign.
There is little that Johnson would like more than for Starmer to resign, and Johnson would not resign if Starmer did so. Starmer represents a real threat to the Tories and IMHO the Labour Party has nobody more electable than Starmer to offer to the public. If Starmer does get fined then he should tough it out, there’s much more guilt on the other benches and I believe that the public knows that too.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re a directly elected executive president, what's to say that would have come up with a somehow better result? AIUI, Tory MPs originally wanted to keep him out, which is how we ended up with Teresa May as PM. They eventually backed Boris Johnson knowing what he was like but as an electoral asset and in doing so backed a winner. Of course, different systems can produce different results, but I fancy that a direct presidential election would have brought Boris Johnson to power sooner and possibly for longer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:55am Re a directly elected executive president, what's to say that would have come up with a somehow better result? AIUI, Tory MPs originally wanted to keep him out, which is how we ended up with Teresa May as PM. They eventually backed Boris Johnson knowing what he was like but as an electoral asset and in doing so backed a winner. Of course, different systems can produce different results, but I fancy that a direct presidential election would have brought Boris Johnson to power sooner and possibly for longer.
In any election a "better" result depends on what outcome you are seeking. Johnson being elected was a "better" result in some people's eyes.

In my view a separately elected President is not a perfect solution but it does take the decision on who holds a very powerful position in our legislature out of the hands of a few MPs (sometimes also party members) and put it in the hands of the electorate. Plus people might feel more prepared to not vote for the party they've always voted for when the Presidential candidate is an untrustworthy liar. They could vote for the trustworthy sensible moderate for President and still vote for the party they've always voted for for MPs.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The conclusion reached from recent developments is that Johnson has no intention what-so-ever of relinquising his postion as Prime Minister. He is prepared to say and do absolutely anything to maintain his grip on the job he believes is his by right. We must content ourselves by recalling that sooner or later, all political careers end in failure - that's how it is. :lol:
In the meantime it may be more useful for the oppositon to focus hard on not only the current cost-of-lving crisis but also the extremely dubious activities of the two secretaries, home and foreign, who are quietly going about their unpleasant business aided and abetted by the dangerously biased and inept attorney general, behind the smoke-screen of Partygate - take our collective eye off what's going on there and we're likely to regret it...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

From the point of view of the more rational citizens, the Tory party looks like a private club of inept, incompetent albeit extremely venal Hooray Henries and Henriettas. However, there is an underlying theme and associated set of actions going on beneath the choppy & roiling surface of the apparently stagnant Tory pond.

As your remark about the antics of two other cabinet members intimates, there's a slow anti-democratic attempt to arrange what looks very like a proto-fascist arrangement. Election fixing, making protest illegal, constructing pariahs and scapegoats and much else from the would-be totalitarian play book. .......

In addition, the Tory knows all about neoliberal shock & awe mechanisms, whereby the everyday life of a nation's inhabitants is made more and more unpleasant, via destruction of most of the infrastructure and support-institutions such as those providing welfare, health, education, law, employment, food & energy et al. Citizens become "shocked and awed" by the constant degradation of everything they rely on, into an inability to act or find a way out of their ever more difficult circumstances. .........

.....Then along comes a gang of business "saviours", who buy up and privatise everything, provide substitute goods and services for those lost - but at a much greater cost and in exchange for a vast control over what has now become their nation. The citizens become subjects. Representative government becomes an oligarchy.

The Tories have been going down this path for many years now. Boris the Bogus has accelerated the process immensely, whilst also providing a spectacle to distract we dupes about what's being degraded, hand over fist, of our nation and its traditional ways of life, week-by-week.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cugel wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:03pmAs your remark about the antics of two other cabinet members intimates, there's a slow anti-democratic attempt to arrange what looks very like a proto-fascist arrangement. Election fixing, making protest illegal, constructing pariahs and scapegoats and much else from the would-be totalitarian play book. .......
+ Centralisation of power. + Bypassing of Parliamentary power and oversight of the Executive.

And this is a very different problem from traditional party splits on policy in England or the UK.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jonathan,Cugel,Simon
+1 Spot on!

We're on the slide to the sludge and filth of fascism by any other name.
Worst of all some people still think this debacle that is the Tory government are doing a good job!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

reohn2 wrote: 26 May 2022, 3:20pm Worst of all some people still think this debacle that is the Tory government are doing a good job!
But help me out guys, how do you tackle the multitudes who believe that the privileged and well heeled (i.e. 'The Parasite Class') must know best about how to run a country - because look at all the money they have made - ignoring the rich parents, corruption and tax evasion that actually made them rich.

Add to this those who voted for Brexit and feel that supporting anyone other than Boris and his cronies means admitting they were wrong (and/or racist) and I despair that we'll ever get the Tories out :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote: 26 May 2022, 4:36pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 May 2022, 3:20pm Worst of all some people still think this debacle that is the Tory government are doing a good job!
But help me out guys, how do you tackle the multitudes who believe that the privileged and well heeled (i.e. 'The Parasite Class') must know best about how to run a country - because look at all the money they have made - ignoring the rich parents, corruption and tax evasion that actually made them rich.

Add to this those who voted for Brexit and feel that supporting anyone other than Boris and his cronies means admitting they were wrong (and/or racist) and I despair that we'll ever get the Tories out :(
We can but hope they see to sense what Johnson and his Tory cronies are doing to us(the majority)and that Brexit,who Johnson and his Tory cronies sold to them,aren't doing the country,any good at all.
Maybe they may finally see that jam tomorrow never comes with a Tory government such as these slimeballs.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Boris who?
He'll disappear in the next year or so.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 5:34pm Boris who?
The only people who can rid the country of him presently is the Tory party MPs,ATM that's not looking like it'll happen anytime soon.
If he rides the storm out he'll go into the next GE as PM,if he does it'll be a gift to Labour and,significantly,LibDems who'll steal Tory votes by the shed load.

I sincerly hope he stays in power :D
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From Twitter …
https://twitter.com/AdrianEdmondson/status/1529145844213096448?cxt=HHwWgICx4eSCz7gqAAAA wrote:It appears you could have held a proper wake with lots of people during lockdown if you’d designated a ‘funeral’ as a ‘leaving do’ (which is sort of technically is?)
Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote: 26 May 2022, 5:51pm
The only people who can rid the country of him presently is the Tory party MPs,ATM that's not looking like it'll happen anytime soon.
If he rides the storm out he'll go into the next GE as PM,if he does it'll be a gift to Labour and,significantly,LibDems who'll steal Tory votes by the shed load.

There’s always a danger of believing your own propaganda. The next election will be a fight and if the Labour Party has any sense it’s main objective will be to deny the Tories a majority; to do that it will have to work with other parties, form electoral pacts and be prepared to govern in coalition. One should remember that the most important thing is to make sure that the Tories aren’t in power and if power is wrestled from the Tories then the voting system must be changed to PR as quickly as is possible.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 26 May 2022, 7:03pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 May 2022, 5:51pm

There’s always a danger of believing your own propaganda. The next election will be a fight and if the Labour Party has any sense it’s main objective will be to deny the Tories a majority; to do that it will have to work with other parties, form electoral pacts and be prepared to govern in coalition. One should remember that the most important thing is to make sure that the Tories aren’t in power and if power is wrestled from the Tories then the voting system must be changed to PR as quickly as is possible.
I couldn't agree more! :wink:
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m no fan of “fancy” voting systems, because I think the solid and clear, one-to-one link between constituency and MP is a good thing, but I would be jubilant to see a cross-party pact to oust the present party of government.

A pre-election pact to avoid splitting the not-Tory vote in England would fit the bill as far as I’m concerned. I shall certainly vote tactically, even if that means voting for other than the party that I naturally would vote for.

And yes, I share many of the fears expressed above.