Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 5:23pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 4:24pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 10:20pm
Could Lebedev offer an alternative location? They wouldn't have to cater for officials.
Johnson's explanation of the trip to Italy:
https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 6/default/

... these explanations have a habit of unravelling...
Starting with:

"“As far as I am aware, no Government business was discussed” – A close reading of Boris Johnson’s letter about the Lebedev meeting":
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/07/as- ... v-meeting/

Jonathan
I think the "As far as I'm aware ..." is the telling bit indicating that he isn't fully aware of what he discussed.

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 6:31pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 5:23pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 4:24pm
Johnson's explanation of the trip to Italy:
https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 6/default/

... these explanations have a habit of unravelling...
Starting with:

"“As far as I am aware, no Government business was discussed” – A close reading of Boris Johnson’s letter about the Lebedev meeting":
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/07/as- ... v-meeting/

Jonathan
I think the "As far as I'm aware ..." is the telling bit indicating that he isn't fully aware of what he discussed.

Ian
He probably remembers the exact amount of money he was paid in exchange for NATO secrets.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"In a highly critical report published today the Commons’ Public Accounts Committee says that “woefully inadequate record-keeping”, failing to meet even basic requirements to publicly report ministers’ meetings with external parties or deal with potential conflicts of interest, “despite clear concerns about Randox’s political connections” means it is “impossible to have confidence” that the £777 million of contracts – many without competition – “were awarded properly”.":
https://committees.parliament.uk/commit ... -properly/

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Debs wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 2:16pm
What I find so amazing about this is that it seems to have taken many years to actually be investigated. I'd have hoped day after it happened things would have been put in place to prevent it recurring and to find out what was revealed that should not have been revealed.

And how does Johnson get away with e.g. putting Russians with KGB links into the HoL! Beggars belief.

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

We have criminals and gangsters for politicians in Brexit Britain.

This is the honest type of guy who should be a voted into parliament, or even be the PM:

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Debs wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 1:37pm We have criminals and gangsters for politicians in Brexit Britain.

This is the honest type of guy who should be a voted into parliament, or even be the PM:

thanks for that.

Though can't help wondering what Sir Starmer might say on the matter.

Last I heard he was more interested in pushing for a public holiday if the lionesses lift the cup on Sunday.

With that knotty issue dealt with he has now doubtless moved with lightening speed to give us his empathetic thoughts on the last episode of Ramsay St/Neighbours.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 1:37pm We have criminals and gangsters for politicians in Brexit Britain.

Spot on!
The truth hurts,the rich don't like the truth being aired!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 4:41pm .....Though can't help wondering what Sir Starmer might say on the matter. ......
Not much,he's another part pf the problem
Last I heard he was more interested in pushing for a public holiday if the lionesses lift the cup on Sunday.
Sounds about right for another facet of Toryism!
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/29/boris-carrie-johnson-to-hold-wedding-party-tory-donor-estate wrote:Boris and Carrie Johnson to hold wedding party at Tory donor’s estate
Just as long as Johnson doesn't have to pay anything himself (as always).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Or not missing, given this terrible litany of freedoms curtailed during his short term of office

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/boris- ... pMU.YjCYwm

Most scary is the new photo ID requirement for voters despite the electoral commission repeatedly stating that:

In 2018, there was no evidence of large-scale electoral fraud.
Of the 266 cases that were investigated by the police, one led to a conviction, and two suspects accepted police cautions.
In 2017, there was one conviction and eight suspects accepted police cautions.

And we can no longer protest any of these changes in any manner that mildly inconveniences anyone for fear of imprisonment :x

There seems to be a growing move towards a centre/left coalition to make sure that the Tories are ousted at the next election, Liberals, Labour and Greens are all warming to the idea. Perhaps this is why the Tories are talking snap elections to try and get another 5 years on the gravy train before the coalition opposition gets established?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Whilst I'm pleased to see the back of Boris what he leaves behind will endure for much longer.
The genie is out of the bottle and others like him will have seen how far the rules can be bent/broken without any damage to their support from the Tory party. I see more corruption dressed up as being for the benefit of the country.
Let's see who benefits most from rumoured help with energy bills, customers or the energy companies.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"In only a couple of hours I will be in Balmoral to see Her Majesty the Queen and the torch will finally be passed to a new Conservative leader.
"The battle will be handed over in what has unexpectedly turned out to be a relay race.
"They changed the rules halfway through, but never mind that now."

?

Jonathan