Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 11:21am
Chris Jeggo wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 11:11am
reohn2 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 8:42am

Can you think of anyone in the Tory party who cares more for the country than they do for their despicable party?
Where is Rory Stewart now? Did he leave, or was he pushed?
Ah! Good point I must admit he came across as decent enough human,perhaps why he left eh?
His wiki page is worth a read. Fascinating character & backstory (tory with a small t, I'd say)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pwa wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 7:23am I bring great news.

Radio 4 this morning is saying that Tory MPs are reporting inboxes rammed with angry messages from long term supporters who want Boris out. This has to be the end for Boris. The backing of his MPs will not persist if they perceive that their Tory backing constituents are furious. I expect the number of Tory MPs demanding that he go will rise significantly over the next few days. I think he is toast now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60005134

But who next for PM? I can't think of anyone in the cabinet who might look like a breath of fresh air.
Andrea Leadsom
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Watching Johnson's clinging to power and drawing up lists of those to lose their livelihood to scapegoat his mistakes is both comical and tragic. Watching the contenders trying to show loyalty whilst desperate to get their turn is both comic and pathetic. None of them considering the good of the electorate or population. It's all about them, their personal ambitions, their egos.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 12:11pm Watching Johnson's clinging to power and drawing up lists of those to lose their livelihood to scapegoat his mistakes is both comical and tragic. Watching the contenders trying to show loyalty whilst desperate to get their turn is both comic and pathetic. None of them considering the good of the electorate or population. It's all about them, their personal ambitions, their egos.

Ian
+1 despicable humans at "work" :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 12:11pm Watching Johnson's clinging to power and drawing up lists of those to lose their livelihood to scapegoat his mistakes is both comical and tragic.
It was the same with Nixon - nearly 50 years ago, for those who can remember. Firing his underlings left right and centre - but it didn't save his skin. I suppose the same happened with Trump. But US politics has always been cutthroat. we used not to expect that sort of thing here - but times have changed...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 10:10am But would the decent Tory ever get to a position of being PM?
Point being made is being "decent" excludes him from leadership without question.
I'm afraid you're probably right, there.

I'd love to hear of the Councillor I mentioned defecting - even if it were to the LibDems (he wouldn't have any truck with Labour - sorry! - and he's not very Green). He lost his seat as a County Councillor last year, and would have kept it if he'd stood for LD.

But neither I nor Mrs P are going to act his Mephistopheles - even though he lives only a couple of streets from us (but in a much posher neighbourhood...). Let him follow his conscience. Surely there must be plenty of Tories out there with a conscience...?
Last edited by 661-Pete on 15 Jan 2022, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 11:38am
Chris Jeggo wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 11:11am Where is Rory Stewart now? Did he leave, or was he pushed?
Ah! Good point I must admit he came across as decent enough human,perhaps why he left eh?
His wiki page is worth a read. Fascinating character & backstory (tory with a small t, I'd say)
As are his books about Asia. Highly Recommended.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 15 Jan 2022, 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 8:42am Can you think of anyone in the Tory party who cares more for the country than they do for their despicable party?
After May announced she would be stepping down, Stewart stood as a candidate to be Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the 2019 leadership contest. His campaign was defined by his unorthodox use of social media and opposition to a no-deal Brexit. He stated at the beginning of his campaign that he would not serve under Boris Johnson and when Johnson became prime minister, in July 2019, Stewart resigned from the cabinet.

On 3 October 2019 Stewart announced he had resigned from the Conservative Party and that he would stand down as an MP at the next general election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Stewart

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Surely there must be plenty of Tories out there with a conscience...?"

By definition there are no Tories, voters nor Party members/elected representatives, with a conscience.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Some of Johnson's loyal sycophants fight for him is the most daft (yet predictable) ways
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-fabrican-coup-attempt-bbc-boris-johnson-b1993807.html wrote:Tory MP accuses BBC of ‘coup attempt’ against Boris Johnson for No10 party reporting
A Conservative MP has been criticised after claiming the BBC had launched a "coup attempt" against Boris Johnson.

Michael Fabricant hit out at the public broadcaster after hearing a news bulletin featuring criticism of the prime minister over lockdown parties at Downing Street.
So elected MP now thinks the BBC is trying to carry out a coup!! (shows the level (or lack) of common sense amongst Conservative MPs when faced with something they don't like).

Just lash out wildly at anything and everything that contradicts they personal wishes.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Now we find out why Johnson did not attend Prince Philip's funeral
https://www.newsbiscuit.com/post/johnson-too-hungover-to-attend-prince-philip-s-funeral-after-massive-session-the-night-before wrote:Johnson ‘too hungover’ to attend Prince Philip’s funeral after massive session the night before
It has emerged that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson did not attend the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral because he had been nursing a stonking hangover after getting completely sh*tfaced on the previous night at yet another party.

Being far too busy at the time celebrating his nationwide ban on social gatherings by hosting lots of illicit booze-fueled bashes of his own, it is reported that the PM told an aide “cobble together some noble sounding flim-flam” about him sacrificing his seat at the funeral so another member of the royal family could go in his place, as his hectic social calendar was just too busy, an anonymous source confirmed.
Attribution Joanne Starkie https://www.newsbiscuit.com/profile/741 ... 5b/profile

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 3:59pm Now we find out why Johnson did not attend Prince Philip's funeral
https://www.newsbiscuit.com/post/johnson-too-hungover-to-attend-prince-philip-s-funeral-after-massive-session-the-night-before wrote:Johnson ‘too hungover’ to attend Prince Philip’s funeral after massive session the night before
It has emerged that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson did not attend the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral because he had been nursing a stonking hangover after getting completely sh*tfaced on the previous night at yet another party.

Being far too busy at the time celebrating his nationwide ban on social gatherings by hosting lots of illicit booze-fueled bashes of his own, it is reported that the PM told an aide “cobble together some noble sounding flim-flam” about him sacrificing his seat at the funeral so another member of the royal family could go in his place, as his hectic social calendar was just too busy, an anonymous source confirmed.
Attribution Joanne Starkie https://www.newsbiscuit.com/profile/741 ... 5b/profile

Ian
I wonder if that's the kind of thing that convinces those who want to believe it. I don't think that the arrangements for an event like this are changed at short notice on a whim. I'm not going back to look and I'm not confident of finding it but the timing of Boris Johnson deciding not to go must be out there in contemporaneous reports. It's always possible, of course, that he knew well in advance that he was going to be fragile that day, but that's even further into the realms of fantasy. (I've no time for the man, but if something's not factual, it just helps discredit the genuine stuff.)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 2:09pm
After May announced she would be stepping down, Stewart stood as a candidate to be Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the 2019 leadership contest. His campaign was defined by his unorthodox use of social media and opposition to a no-deal Brexit. He stated at the beginning of his campaign that he would not serve under Boris Johnson and when Johnson became prime minister, in July 2019, Stewart resigned from the cabinet.

On 3 October 2019 Stewart announced he had resigned from the Conservative Party and that he would stand down as an MP at the next general election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Stewart

Jonathan
Correct!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 3:38pm Some of Johnson's loyal sycophants fight for him is the most daft (yet predictable) ways
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-fabrican-coup-attempt-bbc-boris-johnson-b1993807.html wrote:Tory MP accuses BBC of ‘coup attempt’ against Boris Johnson for No10 party reporting
A Conservative MP has been criticised after claiming the BBC had launched a "coup attempt" against Boris Johnson.

Michael Fabricant hit out at the public broadcaster after hearing a news bulletin featuring criticism of the prime minister over lockdown parties at Downing Street.
So elected MP now thinks the BBC is trying to carry out a coup!! (shows the level (or lack) of common sense amongst Conservative MPs when faced with something they don't like).

Just lash out wildly at anything and everything that contradicts they personal wishes.

Ian
What can you expect from someone who tries his best to look like Johnson.......

......But fails miserably :lol:
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 4:12pm
Psamathe wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 3:59pm Now we find out why Johnson did not attend Prince Philip's funeral

Ian
I wonder if that's the kind of thing that convinces those who want to believe it. I don't think that the arrangements for an event like this are changed at short notice on a whim. I'm not going back to look and I'm not confident of finding it but the timing of Boris Johnson deciding not to go must be out there in contemporaneous reports. It's always possible, of course, that he knew well in advance that he was going to be fragile that day, but that's even further into the realms of fantasy. (I've no time for the man, but if something's not factual, it just helps discredit the genuine stuff.)
NewsBiscuit! (source was provided)

Ian