Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycle tramp

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by cycle tramp »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 2 May 2022, 7:41pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2022, 5:32pm
Psamathe wrote: 2 May 2022, 5:29pmMany forum members don't like the political threads.
And many of the ones who do would prefer them to be polite, and for opinions to have some connection to facts, however tenuous that
connection might be.

Jonathan
It makes for a better debate when someone disagrees and sensible grown up debate is definitely the way forward.....Happy Debating!
Yeah... but I could also try and play chess with one of my chickens. All the chicken will do is be-foul the board, knock over a couple of pieces and then strutt around like she's won the game...
...a debate, sort of suggests that one or both parties are open to change their minds on the subject. And I can see that this ain't happening on this thread.
It's less about the evolution of society and politics as a tool to improve and empower the populace then it is the school yard game of 'the political party I support is better than yours' which fails to do anything than stop other people from actually wishing to engage...

Generally discussions about politics becomes more honest and inclusive when people say 'I generally support this ideology, but recognise that it was badly let down because of this particular MP acting in this way'
It's time to go :-)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycle tramp wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:50am ........Generally discussions about politics becomes more honest and inclusive when people say 'I generally support this ideology, but recognise that it was badly let down because of this particular MP acting in this way'
The problem here is that party lines have been drawn and the vast majority of Tory MPs are toeing a party line leader and cabinet that are not fit to run the country,shown by a litany of lies and illegal actions in parliament,fines for preaching the country's law on Covid restrictions,£ billions backhanded to Tory party funders,people placed in jobs attached to government who are totally out of their depth and failing to carry out the work properly wasting even more £billions in the process,not to mention the lives lost due to their engineered incompentence over asymptomatic people released from hospital into care homes when the government knew it was a problem,the funding by Russian oligarchs ofmthe Tory party and therefore UK government,and on and on the corruption,lies and dishonesty goes.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

5B5CAB15-527E-454C-AEBD-23F53551EEE9.jpeg
He was in Whitley Bay :roll:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A chap who doesn't know where he is,though we know what he is! :wink:
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2022, 12:03pmWhat's so puzzling is a) why do we continue to put up with it and b) why can't Labour (as the most obvious alternative) come up with some really good fresh ideas?
I'm pretty keen on really good fresh ideas.

But I'd put competence of administration and constitutionality/lawfulness even higher.

The High Court hearing about the contracts for COVID testing starts today:
https://goodlawproject.org/update/were- ... omorrow-2/

That page includes a link for donations in support.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yesterday, I visited my parents' grave in west Oxfordshire and while there, it occurred to me that I spend much too much time thinking about the past. I determined to try to change, as far as I can and instead, focus on the present, in order to enjoy such little time as is left to me (good old God!).
As such it's tempting to say, stuff the politicians - let them get on with doing what they always do - jostle for power and use that power for their own ends. However, in the case of the disgusting neoliberal cabal that is cheerfully and blatantly trying its best to monetise the nation's ill-health, I'll make an exception. I've donated.
he fell orf the roof !
he fell orf the roof !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Are they sure it's John the Baptist only it doesn't look like him :? :wink:
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

:lol: to be fair, it doesn't look like he's having a good day... !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 3 May 2022, 10:14am :lol: to be fair, it doesn't look like he's having a good day... !
You wouldn't yourself after falling off the church roof!

PS,do you think he was up there nicking the lead :shock:
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I doubt Boris Johnson would be bothered if his government were to be defeated in the High Court on a daily basis. It can all be spun away.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 May 2022, 10:48am I doubt Boris Johnson would be bothered if his government were to be defeated in the High Court on a daily basis. It can all be spun away.
You could be right there,the two things he cares least about is the truth and the law,his track record is appalling on both counts!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Johnson and his government are liars:- https://youtu.be/1XEZKlJHnjc
W H Auden
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2022, 12:03pmWhat's so puzzling is a) why do we continue to put up with it and b) why can't Labour (as the most obvious alternative) come up with some really good fresh ideas?
I don't think it's about ideas, it's more about personality. Both Donald Trump and Boris Johnson probably have some character flaws which would keep your average psychiatrist in paid work for years..
...however they are energetic, they are wildly optimistic, and they are positive and even in some cases passionate (especially in Boris' case)
I loved (but not in a sticky way) Jeremy Corbyn.. who at least appeared sincere and caring and was genuine in his own beliefs. I would like to know more about the current labour leader, but while he appears statement like, there's none of the 'let's have a go at this problem' that Boris Johnson has.
If the Conservative Party was cleverer, they would keep both Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg as figure heads, but they would be on a tight lead, and the back office team would do all their heavy thinking and ensure that whatever they did or said was edited before it went public.
If the Republican party had been thinking, they would have done the same thing with Trump.
Had the Democrats been cleverer they would have had someone like Bill Hicks, if not as their leader, somewhere in their back offices.
People rarely engage with ideas, people engage with other people and ideas are sort of spread like viruses :-) As Dilbert once wrote in his cartoon; Big, Smiley, Simple
It's time to go :-)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Boris Johnson's stock-in-trade seems fairly simple to me: promise everybody just about everything they want then blame others when he cannot deliver. He does his pathetic Churchill impersonations which seem to impress some, but as far as I can see, he believes in nothing but Boris Johnson.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think that's a reasonable summary, tc.
S