Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2022, 9:33am
simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2022, 12:03pmWhat's so puzzling is a) why do we continue to put up with it and b) why can't Labour (as the most obvious alternative) come up with some really good fresh ideas?
I'm pretty keen on really good fresh ideas.

But I'd put competence of administration and constitutionality/lawfulness even higher.
"The Lord Chancellor’s extraordinary tweet about the Tracey Connelly case":
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/05/the ... elly-case/

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2022, 11:26am
Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2022, 9:33am
simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2022, 12:03pmWhat's so puzzling is a) why do we continue to put up with it and b) why can't Labour (as the most obvious alternative) come up with some really good fresh ideas?
I'm pretty keen on really good fresh ideas.

But I'd put competence of administration and constitutionality/lawfulness even higher.
"The Lord Chancellor’s extraordinary tweet about the Tracey Connelly case":
https://davidallengreen.com/2022/05/the ... elly-case/

Jonathan
It's a populist government who wants to remain popular so it appeals to thlowest common denominator,it's also a government that likes to stick it's hooter in where it doesn't belong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 7:55am The Rwanda scheme is a national humiliation.

I expect it to fail, but probably only after it's caused some unnecessary suffering.
"The first legal action has been launched against Priti Patel’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda as the UN’s refugee agency raised concerns that the UK is “inviting” other European countries to adopt the same divisive immigration policy."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -challenge

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 6:29pm

I expect it to fail, but probably only after it's caused some unnecessary suffering.
"The first legal action has been launched against Priti Patel’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda as the UN’s refugee agency raised concerns that the UK is “inviting” other European countries to adopt the same divisive immigration policy."

Jonathan
Must confess I regarded that "plan" more as PR "red meat" to her fanbase as a replacement to the "push back" scheme that was never going anywhere. But it does highlight how our Government cpmpletely fails to learn from the mistakes of others.

Maybe I'm just a cynic?

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 8 May 2022, 6:36pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 6:29pm

m,

Jonathan
Must confess I regarded that "plan" more as PR "red meat" to her fanbase as a replacement to the "push back" scheme that was never going anywhere. But it does highlight how our Government cpmpletely fails to learn from the mistakes of others.

Maybe I'm just a cynic?

Ian
Or maybe your like many more who see right through Priti Patel and this truly awful and corrupt government.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Starmer:
"But if the police decide to issue me with a fixed penalty notice I would, of course, do the right thing and step down."

Rayner:
"If I were issued with a fine, I would do the decent thing and step down."

That's a very interesting play, both in the sad politics of the UK and in the general world of games theory.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If there's the slightest suspicion that the Durham police aren't themselves playing by the rules - or perish the thought that there's any suggestion of political interference, then whoosh - we're off down another rabbit hole...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 9 May 2022, 5:04pm If there's the slightest suspicion that the Durham police aren't themselves playing by the rules - or perish the thought that there's any suggestion of political interference, then whoosh - we're off down another rabbit hole...
Exactly and let's not forget that Starmer has been investigated once on the issue and found not to have broken any laws.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2022, 4:35pm Starmer:
"But if the police decide to issue me with a fixed penalty notice I would, of course, do the right thing and step down."

Rayner:

That's a very interesting play, both in the sad politics of the UK and in the general world of games theory.

Jonathan
It's the natural thing to do for honourable people,however having been investigated once and absolved of any wrong doing one would think they're both on safe ground.
That is unless there's been some political interference from those who have no honour or morals!
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cui bono?

Continuing the schoolboy Latin theme, the Roman geezer, Julius Caesar is quoted as saying "Et tu, Brute?

All a roundabout way of saying the source of any skulduggery here, if skulduggery there be, may be somebody putting the knife in their leader's back. Boris Johnson's or Keir Starmer's.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

This PM and his party of thieves is getting away with it. None are just rogues or scoundrels but all are deadly serious about their own smirking self satisfied and lying selves. We are doing nothing about it because we have been terrified by disease that was probably created by science and then "conquered" by science, ripped off by the captains of industry who are going to make us accept a compulsory repayable loan in order to pay our heating bill and told over and over and over that the government will get it done, whatever that is. We have brexit, war, nuclear, enforcement, obedience, fear, grateful cowering to show for our votes. What a shower.
Tim
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2022, 4:35pm Starmer:

Rayner:

It isn't even the whole story. Starmer, in his desperation to set the bar for resignation as low as possible had earlier (on January 31st) tweeted that 'the PM needs to do the decent thing and resign', not for being found guilty but simply for being under 'criminal investigation'.

So Starmer has already made himself a hypocrite by not already resigning. Much earlier in this whole debacle I remember hearing a left-of-centre commentator saying that Starmer/Labour needed to back off on the whole 'Partygate' issue because it would inevitably come back to bite them on the bum. Even then I don't think he expected it to be Starmer and Rayner themselves.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

The Labour lot are no better and unable to even speak out loud in the game of gaslighting which is played by the high and mighty. We are all discounted and trivialised in this country by those who have put themselves forward with their lies and who speak with forked tongue. We are all made to feel reluctant to appear untrusting even when all the warning signs and our gut feelings say we should not trust. We are treated as gullible and weak. We are subjected to mocking and diversion and are told to be quiet, to settle down and let the grown ups get on with it. For how long? It is clear: The politicians are all not to be trusted. Votes may be insufficient in this climate of cognitive dissonance.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Ben@Forest wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:37pm It isn't even the whole story. Starmer, in his desperation to set the bar for resignation as low as possible had earlier (on January 31st) tweeted that 'the PM needs to do the decent thing and resign', not for being found guilty but simply for being under 'criminal investigation'.

So Starmer has already made himself a hypocrite by not already resigning. Much earlier in this whole debacle I remember hearing a left-of-centre commentator saying that Starmer/Labour needed to back off on the whole 'Partygate' issue because it would inevitably come back to bite them on the bum. Even then I don't think he expected it to be Starmer and Rayner themselves.
Even Owen Jones is now saying it:

The problem for Starmer isn’t actually Johnson’s behaviour, but rather the fate of Rishi Sunak. The chancellor’s prime ministerial ambitions were essentially terminated because he turned up early to an official meeting and ate some birthday cake. Sunak was fined for this really very minor transgression, and Starmer’s position was that he should resign. By imposing such a low threshold for resignation – and bear in mind the Labour leader called for Johnson’s resignation simply for being under police investigation, now his own predicament – Starmer dug himself an avoidably deep pit.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Tim Holman wrote: 10 May 2022, 5:27am The Labour lot are no better and unable to even speak out loud in the game of gaslighting which is played by the high and mighty. We are all discounted and trivialised in this country by those who have put themselves forward with their lies and who speak with forked tongue. We are all made to feel reluctant to appear untrusting even when all the warning signs and our gut feelings say we should not trust. We are treated as gullible and weak. We are subjected to mocking and diversion and are told to be quiet, to settle down and let the grown ups get on with it. For how long? It is clear: The politicians are all not to be trusted. Votes may be insufficient in this climate of cognitive dissonance.
What alternative do you suggest?