Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by francovendee »

I had a very telling conversation with a woman from Sierra Leone about UK politics. She said they know they have a corrupt government and system in her country but the UK doesn't see theirs is also corrupt.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

francovendee wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 7:59am I had a very telling conversation with a woman from Sierra Leone about UK politics. She said they know they have a corrupt government and system in her country but the UK doesn't see theirs is also corrupt.
When the pub landlord of the Health Secretary gets a multimillion pound PPE contract, you know we're corrupt.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 8:41am
francovendee wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 7:59am I had a very telling conversation with a woman from Sierra Leone about UK politics. She said they know they have a corrupt government and system in her country but the UK doesn't see theirs is also corrupt.
When the pub landlord of the Health Secretary gets a multimillion pound PPE contract, you know we're corrupt.
And the first step is to recognise the problem.

Fortunately international comparisons are now available... and they show the changes as well as the absolute values.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1600 and not a puff of smoke from the Cabinet Office.

I'd guess that they will make an official statement.

And will the chair of the inquiry play hardball... no statement, no further correspondence, immediate application to the High Court?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And here's the official statement... application for judicial review.

Jonathan

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Is this the "transparency" and "integrity" Sunak is so keen to press forward?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Interesting. Push is about to come to shove. Hopefully...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A few experts (real experts) on C4 News seem to suggest Gov. will lose and that should they win Inquiry Chair may easily step down (if she can't do a proper job it's all as waste of time and will have no public credibility).

I regard the Gov. as being quite stupid on this. I can't see them doing it to protect Johnson but my guess is that there are things from Sunak and other Ministers still in Government that they don't want revealed in future so are establishing the precedent now.

That said, sounds like Johnson didn't give them all his messages anyway, just back to when he last changed phones - which seems to highlight a massive shortcoming in government by WhatsApp - no audit trail, n o records.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And not related to Covid inquiry
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/information-commissioner-matt-hancock-ministerial-diaries-covid-19-inquiry/ wrote:Government defies watchdog order to hand over Hancock’s Covid diaries
... the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has missed a legal deadline to disclose Matt Hancock’s ministerial diaries to openDemocracy. It could leave the department in contempt of court.
Health chiefs have spent more than two years fighting our Freedom of Information request for Hancock’s diaries, which could reveal whose advice he sought and who had his ear during the initial stages of the pandemic. The former health secretary published his own edited diaries of the period last year.

Last month the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) ruled that the department had until 29 May to hand them over. That deadline has now passed without the diaries being handed over and a spokesperson confirmed to openDemocracy that the watchdog was “making enquiries with DHSC to ascertain why it has not complied with or appealed the decision notice within the statutory timeframe”.
Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Having thoroughly enjoyed Sonia Purnell's biog of piffle Johnson, I have to say this latest move sounds like just the sort of thing he does. By claiming to have made the material available to the Cabinet, he imagines he looks blameless and at the same time passes the buck to others. But I bet my lucky 10p piece on us learning in the fullness of time that his claim wasn't as straightforward as he implied. I read that he's master of saying one thing and meaning another...
https://www.soniapurnell.com/just-boris
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just now I learn that piffle plans to send the material directly to the inquiry. If he imagines that this will be "doing the right thing", that will be an unprecidented first!
Boris Johnson will provide unredacted WhatsApps to the Covid 19 Inquiry directly, he said in a letter to to the chairwoman on Friday.
S
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:51am Just now I learn that piffle plans .....
[/quote]

Get his name right! It's 'de Piffle'.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:51am Just now I learn that piffle plans to send the material directly to the inquiry. If he imagines that this will be "doing the right thing", that will be an unprecidented first!
Boris Johnson will provide unredacted WhatsApps to the Covid 19 Inquiry directly, he said in a letter to to the chairwoman on Friday.
I suspect Sunak is not refusing/Judicial Review because of Johnson's messages but rather that this is the 1st and there will be more requests e.g. for his or his colleagues' messages so he's trying to set the precedent now. If he says yes now he can hardly say no when the inquiry asks for his and ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Dishonours list imminent.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 12:30pm
simonineaston wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:51am Just now I learn that piffle plans to send the material directly to the inquiry. If he imagines that this will be "doing the right thing", that will be an unprecidented first!
I suspect Sunak is not refusing/Judicial Review because of Johnson's messages but rather that this is the 1st and there will be more requests e.g. for his or his colleagues' messages so he's trying to set the precedent now. If he says yes now he can hardly say no when the inquiry asks for his and ...
DAG's explainer:
https://davidallengreen.com/2023/06/a-d ... gnificant/

Jonathan