Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Psamathe »

I see Ms Truss is cutting short a trip to Indonesia and returning to UK immediately. Why? What is she going to do when she gets back?

If her trip and the costs & time are justfied, there is no urgency within her department and the aims of the trip should be completed. Reality is she's abandoning her role in Government so she can get her leadership camapign underway. Talk to colleagues, make them "If I become leader I'll need a senior ... and you would be well suited to the role ..." to try and get votes (patronage offers).

If her trip was important enough to justify the cost and time it should not be abandoned for her career self-interest.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Johnson's hubris and arrogance continue even in resignation.

Now trying to appoint a new cabinet and start in office until autumn conference ahead of his announcement.

Will the Tory party allow such a farce?

Probably. Been utterly spineless for years in face of Johnson's lies and betrayals.

Will it last?

Doubt it. Probably completely gone within 48 hrs regardless.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:47am Johnson's hubris and arrogance continue even in resignation.

Now trying to appoint a new cabinet and start in office until autumn conference ahead of his announcement.

Probably. Been utterly spineless for years in face of Johnson's lies and betrayals.

Will it last?

yep - isn't this what the deputy PM is for?
If Boris had died/ascended to heaven/dropped to hell, he would surely step-in so all provided for.
Maybe Boris plans to sack the deputy PM?
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:47am Johnson's hubris and arrogance continue even in resignation.

Will it last?

Does anybdy believe that Johnson remaining as supposed "Caretaker" until autumn wont spend that time scheming and finding ways to extend his time and "un-resign". Spending his days enoying the attention being PM gets him and the evenings steaming wallpaper off the No 11 flat.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:58am

Will it last?

yep - isn't this what the deputy PM is for?
If Boris had died/ascended to heaven/dropped to hell, he would surely step-in so all provided for.
Maybe Boris plans to sack the deputy PM?
There is no constitutional position of deputy Prime Minister and consequently no policies or procedures either written or understood.

Of course there ought to be.

And of course it is taken into account in practice, as at present.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:00pm

Will it last?

Does anybdy believe that Johnson remaining as supposed "Caretaker" until autumn wont spend that time scheming and finding ways to extend his time and "un-resign". Spending his days enoying the attention being PM gets him and the evenings steaming wallpaper off the No 11 flat.
It's normally (!) a reasonable way of handling the transition. But Johnson is different: far too dangerous to leave in office, as you say.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder what "caretaker" means. Presumably it's a "caretaker" Government rather than just a "caretaker" PM. So e.g. given that to date no refugees have been deported to Rwanda and courts have ruled they should not for the moment take place, would starting such deportations be going beyond "caretaking"? Without knowledge of such matters I'd say it would represent pursuing a policy and be beyond "caretaking" given nothing is yet underway.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:00pm

Will it last?

Ian
Exactly this. And appointing more cronies and weirdos to the House of Lords to be able to vote on laws the rest of us have to follow.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Johnson just started statement and already lying.

"Fastest vaccine rollout in Europe"

Nope.
Capture.PNG
Doubtless he'll be lying about a few more things yet.
atoz

Post by atoz »

I won't be popular for saying this, but some in the Labour Party should be ashamed of themselves. For all the many faults of their previous leader, he was not like Boris. By undermining Corbyn it made it easier for Boris to eventually become PM. In particular, in 2017, this could have been avoided. By 2019 it was too late. Thanks, Mandelson, Austin, and the rest.

But most thanks should be to the huge no's of over 50s who voted for Boris. Cheers for that..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see from the rolling BBC coverage that Keir Starmer is threatening to trigger a motion of no confidence. Can anybody explain why he doesn't just get on with it? It's hard to see a better or more appropriate opportunity.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:57pm I see from the rolling BBC coverage that Keir Starmer is threatening to trigger a motion of no confidence. Can anybody explain why he doesn't just get on with it? It's hard to see a better or more appropriate opportunity.
Pointless. Tories won't vote for it. Only serves to unite Conservative party.

Don't interrupt your enemy whilst they're making a mistake.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:47pm Johnson just started statement and already lying.

"Fastest vaccine rollout in Europe"

Nope.

Capture.PNG

Doubtless he'll be lying about a few more things yet.
And the cumulative excess deaths are worse than those of many similar countries.

Jonathan

PS: The inquiry has just started. And about time.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:57pm I see from the rolling BBC coverage that Keir Starmer is threatening to trigger a motion of no confidence. Can anybody explain why he doesn't just get on with it? It's hard to see a better or more appropriate opportunity.
I think there would be uncertainty about whether the motion would be accepted. In Parliament he can ask for a motion of no confidence in the Government and it will be held high-priority (virtually immediately) but that is in the entire Gov. and Conservatives (even those with no confidence in Johnson) would not vote for it because they don't want a General Election (they know they'd lose a General Election and loads would lose their seats).

He could ask for a motion of no confidence in the PM but that wont get the same high priority selection and there is not much time before the summer recess. Also it would not be a binding outcome.

That said, that is my understanding and I am no expert so I've very ready to be corrected.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:01pm
Pointless. Tories won't vote for it. Only serves to unite Conservative party.

Don't interrupt your enemy whilst they're making a mistake.
Fair enough. Time to stop huffing and puffing then?