Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stevek76

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Stevek76 »

Political reporters saying he's now actually resigning.

I'm a bit surprised, thought he might try and cling on, not quite full trump style insurrection - for a start he's not got the same support to do that, but I did wonder if he'd seriously go scorched earth and try to call an election.

I do think it was disappointingly revealing of how useless and passive the political journalism sector is with their constant apparent surprise every time he disregarded yet another constitutional convention.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:31amNow, I suspect he considers that majority to be personal to him and although his name wasn't on the ballot papers, he would have a point.
He does. Everyone's suddenly pointing out that we don't have a presidential system and he doesn't have a personal mandate. But of course many people vote on a ballot paper that lists individual candidates but are taking into account both the party they support and who will become Prime Minister. I'd guess that in many cases those issues dominate anything about the individual candidate.

What's happened is that yet again we haven't evolved our constitutional system to meet current needs.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:40amI'm a bit surprised, thought he might try and cling on, not quite full trump style insurrection - for a start he's not got the same support to do that, but I did wonder if he'd seriously go scorched earth and try to call an election.
Yes, that's the most likely terminal gasp.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

DaveReading wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:32am
Sweep wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 8:59amCan't see that happening, but am pretty sure Putin's keyboard warrior monkeys will be hard at work on this, stirring trouble. I hope the security services are onto this.
I suspect they have more important things to do than reading the output of Russian trolls.
I hope not.
Why do you think Putin pays those folks?
We are not talking about a few malconted russian teens in backbedrooms.
It is well established that there are state-run factories of what you call "trolls" hell bent on causing social division/actual disturbances-demos-riots/undermining of democracies.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:41am
thirdcrank wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:31amNow, I suspect he considers that majority to be personal to him and although his name wasn't on the ballot papers, he would have a point.
He does. Everyone's suddenly pointing out that we don't have a presidential system and he doesn't have a personal mandate. But of course many people vote on a ballot paper that lists individual candidates but are taking into account both the party they support and who will become Prime Minister. I'd guess that in many cases those issues dominate anything about the individual candidate.

What's happened is that yet again we haven't evolved our constitutional system to meet current needs.

Jonathan
And many of those Tory politicians now commenting - or briefing through sources - begin by paying tribute his achievements in
  • delivering Brexit
  • dealing with the pandemic
  • defending Ukraine

All of which are debatable but accepted in some quarters and proclaimed by Tory politicians.

What remains to his opponents in his own party is to highlight things like dishonesty which are widely attributed to politicians anyway. The reality may be that the whole tory edifice is crumbling but there are still plenty with an interest in hanging on.

The constitution is what it is and imo Boris Johnson is just the latest in a succession of people who have pushed it further to suit their own purposes. Our constitution doesn't really include a mechanism for changing it significantly. (The nominal Cabinet system being run as a presidency is something I've commented on before.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

so he's resignng as Tory leader but will remain PM until the autumn?

some fresh trick/desperate ploy?

surely that won't wash?
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

He's not even been in post long enough to get his own green letterhead.

Anybody like to bet on the response. "Sorry, I promoted the other Nad. Join the queue behind the serpent at the exit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The timeline for May was:
24 May Statement of intention to resign
7 June Resignation as party leader
24 July Resignation as Prime Minister.

The difference this time is the probability of unconstitutional behaviour in the lame duck interval.

One of the many rumours this morning is Raab as interim Prime Minister with all Ministers etc who have resigned offered reinstatement.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Zahawi,yet another barefaced liar,politics is full of them but the Tory party has a monopoly........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:41am ...

Jonathan
Any now, yet again, our PM will (at best) be chosen by a tiny fraction of the electorate all belonging to a particularly narrow sector of society. The same selection procedures that gave us the disaster of the last few years.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 10:15am so he's resignng as Tory leader but will remain PM until the autumn?

some fresh trick/desperate ploy?

surely that won't wash?
I would agree. Government needs Ministers and he is desperately short of them, some departments have none (apparently).

Does anybody believe Johnson can do no more than "Caretaking"? He'll be pushing his agenda (satisfying his narcissism), photo opportunities verywhere, etc.. On what basis are Conservative MPs now believing he'll do what he says and is telling the truth, when most have resigned because he repeatedly doe snot do what he says and does lie.

But bottom line is Government departments need ministers and he does not have the MPs to fill those posts. Chose too many from Lords and democratic accountability becomes an issue. Maybe he'll take the opportunity to stuff the Lords with loads of his mates to fill Ministerial posts?

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The reality may be that the whole tory edifice is crumbling but there are still plenty with an interest in hanging on.
A ship driven onto its own personal rock, IMO.

There are fierce winds from post-covid, war, and the self-generated headwind of the B thing, and the only logical way to deal with some of the affects is to use redistributive taxation to ameliorate the pain for the worst affected, and targeted public expenditure to promote economic activity in places where the market doesn’t.

The rock is the pathological aversion to both necessary medicines that underlies Tory philosophy.

It would be spectator sports if we weren’t all on board the ship, and there wasn’t a realistic prospect that any new Tory party leader will want to reinforce the rock, and do things to make the wind even stronger, rather than attend to the course and crew.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:07amGovernment needs Ministers and he is desperately short of them, some departments have none (apparently).
"Portfolio without Minister"

: - )

Jonathan