Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. Quite apart from the disastrous policies the basic housekeeping seems to have collapsed. And our regulatory mechanisms to have failed.

But I think that the COVID inquiry will stick to its guns.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Oct 2023, 11:05am
Jdsk wrote: 2 Oct 2023, 9:04pm
Psamathe wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 12:30pm I suspect Sunak is not refusing/Judicial Review because of Johnson's messages but rather that this is the 1st and there will be more requests e.g. for his or his colleagues' messages so he's trying to set the precedent now. If he says yes now he can hardly say no when the inquiry asks for his and ...
... he can't find them.

"Sunak fails to hand WhatsApp messages from time as chancellor to Covid inquiry":
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... id-inquiry
To me it completely beggars belief the casual way in which major decsions seem to be made, how vested interests seem protected by complete failure of record keeping.

And no doubt exctly the same convenient lax record keeping persists today.

Expunge your record of poor decisions, undue influences, etc. all for the cost of a new mobile phone.
He's appearing at the inquiry today.

Massive leaks and spin in advance.

And the first questions are about his record keeping...

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Dec 2023, 10:25am He's appearing at the inquiry today.

Which have massively pissed off the chair (extract from the Graun)

Lady Hallett starts by expressing her “concern” about the reports in the papers about what Boris Johnson will say.

She says what witnesses say in witness statements is supposed to be confidential until those statements are published. She goes on:

I wish to remind all those involved in the inquiry process they must maintain this confidentiality so as to allow the sharing of materials prior to hearings between those most involved in the inquiry process. Failing to respect confidentiality undermines the inquiry’s ability to do its job fairly, effectively and independently.

Oooof.

His usual prioritising his media image over his obligations might prove a mistake in this instance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's live streamed:
https://covid19.public-inquiry.uk

The country would be a lot better off if Parliament held the Prime Minister and other Ministers to account in the same way.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 6 Dec 2023, 11:22am

Lady Hallett starts by expressing her “concern” about the reports in the papers about what Boris Johnson will say.

She says what witnesses say in witness statements is supposed to be confidential until those statements are published. She goes on:

I wish to remind all those involved in the inquiry process they must maintain this confidentiality so as to allow the sharing of materials prior to hearings between those most involved in the inquiry process. Failing to respect confidentiality undermines the inquiry’s ability to do its job fairly, effectively and independently.

Oooof.

His usual prioritising his media image over his obligations might prove a mistake in this instance.
Is anybody going to believe anything he says? He has a well established track record of "no appreciation of the truth", has a personal agenda in clearing his name and trying to recover some personal reputation. He may be testifying under oath but is that likely to make any testimony any more truthful (given his prior disregard to laws and courts).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've watched a few minutes. He's completely out of his depth. *Relentless diversion, generalisations, rhetoric and bluster.

Of course what matters is the report, not the performances.

Jonathan

* Which any devotee of this forum will find easy to recognise.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Psamathe wrote: 6 Dec 2023, 11:40am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 6 Dec 2023, 11:22am

Oooof.

Is anybody going to believe anything he says? He has a well established track record of "no appreciation of the truth", has a personal agenda in clearing his name and trying to recover some personal reputation. He may be testifying under oath but is that likely to make any testimony any more truthful (given his prior disregard to laws and courts).

Ian
He could be charged with perjury if he outright lies, so he will definitely be curbed to mere evasions and half truths.

His appearance fill me with a mixture of rage and relief; the former that he was ever put in such a position of responsibility, and the latter that he no longer is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 10:05am
Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 6:43pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 12:37pm
Sounds as if the Heppinstall inquiry has reached Maxwellisation:
https://www.thenational.scot/news/23465 ... ports-say/
Report "expected":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65414185
Resigned:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... g-pressure

The Report:
https://publicappointmentscommissioner. ... -SHARP.pdf

And Sharp's statement on his resignation:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/state ... hard-sharp
And the Select Committee on the government's new choice:
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... #heading-1
includes:

"25. We were disappointed that Dr Shah was not willing to express a view on fundamental principles, such as board level interference in the BBC and other bodies and on political impartiality. In his evidence to us, Dr Shah did not sufficiently demonstrate the strength and character that is needed to challenge the executive leadership of the BBC.

"26. While we are of the view that Dr Shah is appointable as Chair, we have serious reservations about his willingness to offer his opinions and insight on some of the most fundamental issues facing the Corporation, and his ability to provide the robust challenge that the BBC leadership requires at this time.

"27. If the Government chooses to proceed with the appointment of Dr Shah as Chair of the BBC Board, we expect him to appear before the Committee within the first three months of appointment to demonstrate that he has sufficiently considered and addressed our concerns."

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Report sums-up
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/19/boris-johnson-says-trump-back-in-white-house-is-what-the-world-needs wrote:Johnson says Trump back in White House is ‘what the world needs’
Boris Johnson has backed Donald Trump ahead of November’s US presidential election, saying his return to the White House could be “just what the world needs”.
Is he hoping what Farage previously did - after a job in Trump's "team"?

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 21 Jan 2024, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Unbelievable.Hilary Clinton labelled Trump the Russian puppet.A lot of people around the world think she is correct.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Boris Johnson has backed Donald Trump ahead of November’s US presidential election, saying his return to the White House could be “just what the world needs”.
I do not get why? why?

Apparently a few senior Conservatives are with Boris Johnson on this.Latest quote when in office "Trump would not be so bad. "
So what do they gain by backing Trump? (even if he will probably win)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 1:11pm
I do not get why? why?

Apparently a few senior Conservatives are with Boris Johnson on this.Latest quote when in office "Trump would not be so bad. "
There is a valid argument for this. Maybe the world (or too many countries) have become too enthral to US, like the UK being a US poodle. Maybe it's time the dominance of the US in the world was reduced such that other world leaders don't keep 'Yes Sir, how high Sir? ..." to whoever is sitting in the White House.

But such a change would have significant impact on the rest of the World, but there is an argument that it's got to happen at some point and it's going to cause pain. And Trump will certainly lower the domination of the US over many other parts of the World.

It's an argument, but not one I'd personally accept as I think the damage to the world at this time would be too great (climate change, economy, etc.) and I think the dominance of the US is declining slowly anyway so let it happen slowly which means less pain for the rest of the world as well as less devastation for US citizens.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I do not get why? why?

Some suggestions:
https://www.politico.eu/article/britain ... ald-trump/
https://conservativehome.com/2024/01/22 ... -of-trump/

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I do not get why? why?

Maybe also that they regard most of Trump's madness as lies. And their own experience of politics is to lie to get what they want so it's second nature to them so probably easy to assume Trump is doing the same.

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I do not get why? why?

Johnson is a narcissist. After saying this, the headlines are all about Johnson. He's a toddler craving attention, and he knows he personally will face no consequences regardless.