Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 7:20pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:23pm Maybe she read this from the very same newspaper
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 34624.html
It begs the question how do they know?
And what's the percentage of women paedophiles?
Nevertheless, that statistic - if true - is scary. One-in-thirty-five...

Put it in perspective. For example: a (men's) Rugby Union match. 30 players, three officials, two trainers. That's 35 men. So, on average, one of those participating might be a paedophile.

I have to say my flabber is well and truly ghasted. In my student days I was sometimes called upon to babysit (for the local rabbi's toddler, of all people). No-one would have raised an eyebrow, back then. But now....! :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 7:23pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:27pm
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:02pm Presumably she's never heard of Ghislaine Maxwell ... or Myra Hindley.
The list of males convicted for the same or much worse is too long to quote here -- I'm sure everyone of you could name ten high profile cases off the top of your head.

Andrea had a point -- it's just the inconvenient truth ---- again!
Is it though?
Or could it be the incomplete truth of statistics?

There can be no doubt there are many paedophiles but are they all men?

And should men not be allowed to be nurses or doctors because there's been some high profile murderers and paedophiles in the medical profession?
The fact that it's the very same newspaper shows how they don't care that they put out a statistic like that and then condemn someone for repeating it
??? Again people pick out the story they want to believe rather than listen to all of the facts. I'm with Andrea on this one.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:50pm
reohn2 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 7:20pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:23pm Maybe she read this from the very same newspaper
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 34624.html
It begs the question how do they know?
And what's the percentage of women paedophiles?
Nevertheless, that statistic - if true - is scary......
If true yes but is it true?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:01pm ...... The fact that it's the very same newspaper shows how they don't care that they put out a statistic like that and then condemn someone for repeating it
??? Again people pick out the story they want to believe rather than listen to all of the facts.
I wouldn't know about that statistic as I asked is it a true statistic?
Where does that statistic come from,how would anyone know other than a guess?
Yes there's quite possibly more male paedophiles than female after all male are the ones with all the testosterone,but I find 1 in 35 males to be a paedophile a truly staggering number,if indeed it's true!

BTW I don't read newspapers.
I'm with Andrea on this one.
You have the right to that freedom,personally I wouldn't give her the time of day.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:36am
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:24amJust asking others to think about it...
Excellent advice. Think about our own alcohol consumption. And discuss it.
New data on consumption during the outbreak:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... perts-warn

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Apologies if posted already, but this lady has the measure of him.

Sometimes you don't need a lot of words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6jesg5MYOs

a quick google will show that it's all over the web.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 9:37am Apologies if posted already, but this lady has the measure of him.

Boris Johnson(saviour of the known universe) summed up to a tee! :D
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another this time from the leader of the opposition:- https://youtu.be/qoxaXNucXiU
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One shocking aspect to Johnson's partying is how easily people or MPs or nobody is distracted by the attempts to bring Starmer in because he had a beer. As I remember rules, lunch was permitted and no rules about not having a beer with lunch. So what exactly did Starmer do wrong?

Whilst I'm shocked by there being any issue about Starmer drinking a beer I'm not sure why. Is it shocking that Johnson loyalists think people can be distracted by irrelevant distractions? Or that MPs (who Johnson is really targeting) can be distracted? Or the general electorate can be distracted? Or does it just take a fw column inches that would otherwise be telling us about more of Johnson's failings?

It would be interesting to know who (if anybody) is distracted by Starmer legally drinking a beer.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 9:37am Apologies if posted already, but this lady has the measure of him.

:lol: this reminded me on the little old lady who was asked what she thought of
Martin McGuinness when he died.

After all the accolades from most of the interviewees.

Stopped to answer in a small feeble voice " That was a bad man" and walked on down the street -- nothing more needed to be said.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The only reason Boris got into the job in the first place was because he was completely two faced.

The Tories didn't want brexit neither did Boris ( because most in his party didn't want it )

Boris saw an opportunity when he noticed how the electorate were going to vote so to boost his own self serving interests he switched sides.

This has been a pattern throughout his whole life and term as prime minister. How anyone can't see this is beyond me.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:50pm Nevertheless, that statistic - if true - is scary. One-in-thirty-five...
Put it in perspective. For example: a (men's) Rugby Union match. 30 players, three officials, two trainers. That's 35 men. So, on average, one of those participating might be a paedophile.
I really don't think these 'statistics' are believable.It's like the advert '1 in 2 of us will get Cancer in our lifetime'.That's 50%.That just seems unbelievable to me!1 in 5 or 1 in 10 seems much more plausible.
For the paedophile statistics I would think 1 in 100 would still be pushing it a bit!?
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Hellhound wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:59amIt's like the advert '1 in 2 of us will get Cancer in our lifetime'.That's 50%.That just seems unbelievable to me!
Unbelievable or not, it appears to be true.

N.B. That's the proportion of people who die with cancer, not because of it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hellhound wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:59am
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:50pm Nevertheless, that statistic - if true - is scary. One-in-thirty-five...
I really don't think these 'statistics' are believable.It's like the advert '1 in 2 of us will get Cancer in our lifetime'.That's 50%.That just seems unbelievable to me!1 in 5 or 1 in 10 seems much more plausible.
For the paedophile statistics I would think 1 in 100 would still be pushing it a bit!?
My point is not the statistic itself ( which is shocking ) but the double standards the press have which is disgusting but as with BJ himself not surprising. What is surprising is that 'intelligent' people will quote them -- when it suits them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:34am
djnotts wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 7:54pm "He's done nothing squared v-a-v levelling up."

He can't without a regional/economic policy, long since abolished. Death thereof was begun by Thatcher on instructions of Keith Joseph and finally killed off by Brexit, having only (just) survived so long via EU Structural Funds.
"State of the North 2021/22":
https://www.ippr.org/publication/state- ... excellence

Guardian coverage:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... new-report

“However we measure investment in levelling up – whether we compare with Germany’s successful efforts to rebalance its economy, or to London-level investment – it’s clear that central government simply hasn’t put its money where its mouth is when it comes to rebalancing the economy. Levelling up will be consigned to the list of hollow, unmet promises made to people in regions like the north for a long time now, if it isn’t underpinned by investment and, crucially, fiscal devolution.”
And, since no-one read it:

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 16.14.05.png

Jonathan