Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO, he's just allowing himself more waggle-room in how he deals with his appointees.

He retains the power to appoint, sack, move, demote or promote as he sees fit. There's less pressure on him to do any of those as a response to their conduct
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Boris Johnson to reportedly bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee
Quick double-take to check it not suddenly April 1again, then recalled supporters of brexit might just be dim enough to fall for it...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 28 May 2022, 11:45pm
Boris Johnson to reportedly bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee
Quick double-take to check it not suddenly April 1again, then recalled supporters of brexit might just be dim enough to fall for it...
Those who agree with the idea will love him for it. Those who recognise the stupidity will be talking about his plan rather than talking about PartyGate.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Ah, Imperial measurements to match His Imperial Excellence's irrelevance. A bad, sad, joke.
Wish I still had my old school exercise book(s) with the "tables" on the backcover.
What possible relevance for the under 50s? And for the over 70s .... we can't remember that far back anyway!
As usual with Tory policies, words fail....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Those who recognise the stupidity will be talking about his plan rather than talking about PartyGate
Or indeed, looking closely at proposed legislation issuing from the murky minds of the sec.s home & foreign. Like Trump before him, our Johnson is designed to behave like a joke leader, full of crazy ideas and cartoon behaviour - why? To take our attention away from the real damage being done.
Democracy & politics have morphed these days into strange and sophisticated stuff. As individuals, we have less control than ever before. The old battles of left v right, or indeed The West v East are stuff of the past. Politicians are now simply the prawns of the banks and finance. All honour and individual decency are finished - we are all product. No control. The End.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

djnotts wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:11am Ah, Imperial measurements to match His Imperial Excellence's irrelevance. A bad, sad, joke.
Wish I still had my old school exercise book(s) with the "tables" on the backcover.
What possible relevance for the under 50s? And for the over 70s .... we can't remember that far back anyway!
As usual with Tory policies, words fail....
Also a good way to mask inflation. For things like fruit and veg people will use the mental conversion 2 lbs = 1Kg so switch to selling in lbs at 2x the Kg price and customers will think it's the same pricing. (it's quite possible my mental arithmetic is wrong which maybe further highlights the stupidity of Johnson's proposal).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:29amPoliticians are now simply the prawns of the banks and finance.
And motivated by shellfishness?

Jonathan
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Crown stamp & imperial measurements?

I must thank Mr Johnson - as Britain is clearly going back(wards) to the 70s, these generous adjustments will help us all to re-adapt to how life once was. I must dig out my flares…………
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This type of airy fairy proposal is always open to whatever interpretation suits the individual. There is a difference between recognised E measures and the metric system, even though they are often the same. The pint is recognised as an E measure for beer. Looking at a couple of the front pages in the newsagent's this morning - and checking on line I see it was the Daily Mail - what's being spun is only a consultation coinciding with the jubilee, to consider a return to pint glasses being stamped with the crown, rather than the E certification. Presumably. a last minute eye-catching further attempt to move on. Had it been anything else, the royal schooners would have been in the pubs ready for the celebrations. Straight bananas next.............
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Exactly so. Sorry about the prawn thing - I was just watching cheeky chancer Keith Floyd ribbing 'Nick" Stein in an old old telly food prog..
As the old tensions between left & right disappear, what motivates modern players such as Trump and Johnson appears to be their colossal self-belief, as opposed to any sincere yearning to follow political ideoligies. They see that they can engage in the game at a high level, by flaunting their own 'values', more as celebrities than old-fashioned politicians - and it works.
The trouble is - as we're finding to our cost - once elected as winner of the popularity contest, they turn out to be devoid of principled policies and instead indulge in the sort of shopping-cart-crashes-down-corridor government that the Gollom-like Cummings warned us about... This isn't coincidental but is a result of there being no democracy anymore - all the real decisions are taken by bankers , the markets, data algorithms and finance company exec.s.
Take a sober look at what Trump did in his one term and it's truly mind-boggling in its pointlessness and ineptitude - and yet, there are serious predicitions that he could return. What the [beep beep beep] is going on??
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some recent posts give the impression that Boris Johnson has indeed managed to move on. There's a piece in todays Sunday Telegraph by Jonathan Sumption who argues that Boris Johnson has shown his unsuitability as a leader. (Behind a paywall.)

Partygate is really about leadership, lies and the death of trust

Our unwritten constitution rests on the behaviour of public servants. That’s why the PM cannot simply “get away with it”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... ath-trust/

The sort of closely-argued case you might expect from a top learned friend, but he seems to miss the effect on public opinion of "misleading Parliament." Parliamentarians may see this as the ultimate misconduct but I fancy a lot of people take it for granted. They believe politicians' engagement with the truth is limited to avoiding it at all costs, using whatever weasel words fit the need of the moment. Many ordinary people assume that politicians understand this even better than they do so they become bored, assuming that the fuss is manufactured.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:23pmParliamentarians may see this as the ultimate misconduct but I fancy a lot of people take it for granted. They believe politicians' engagement with the truth is limited to avoiding it at all costs, using whatever weasel words fit the need of the moment. Many ordinary people assume that politicians understand this even better than they do so they become bored, assuming that the fuss is manufactured.
What's the evidence for that assertion (and its predecessors) about "many ordinary people", please?

Options of Johnson have changed dramatically in a very short time:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ex ... t=trackers

Jonathan

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 12.29.29.png
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2022, 11:03am
simonineaston wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:29amPoliticians are now simply the prawns of the banks and finance.

Jonathan
:wink: (that's a Winkle)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 29 May 2022, 11:36am
Exactly so. Sorry about the prawn thing - I was just watching cheeky chancer Keith Floyd ribbing 'Nick" Stein in an old old telly food prog..
Don't be sorry it brought about a bit of light relief to what is a very serious thread :wink:
As the old tensions between left & right disappear, what motivates modern players such as Trump and Johnson appears to be their colossal self-belief, as opposed to any sincere yearning to follow political ideoligies. They see that they can engage in the game at a high level, by flaunting their own 'values', more as celebrities than old-fashioned politicians - and it works.
The trouble is - as we're finding to our cost - once elected as winner of the popularity contest, they turn out to be devoid of principled policies and instead indulge in the sort of shopping-cart-crashes-down-corridor government that the Gollom-like Cummings warned us about... This isn't coincidental but is a result of there being no democracy anymore - all the real decisions are taken by bankers , the markets, data algorithms and finance company exec.s.
Take a sober look at what Trump did in his one term and it's truly mind-boggling in its pointlessness and ineptitude - and yet, there are serious predicitions that he could return. What the [beep beep beep] is going on??
Yer not wrong.
Sadly that's how I feel about politics and some of the animals who preside at the top of it,the problem is,those animal's(I stuggle to call them human)respective parties eagerly put them where they are not with the country's best interests at heart but their own.
It's all thoroughly depressing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:47pmDon't be sorry it brought about a bit of light relief to what is a very serious thread
I hope so. Molluscs and other crustaceans are also available.

Jonathan