Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DaveReading

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by DaveReading »

simonineaston wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:24pmDrivel - utter drivel...Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 12.21.33.png
Patel has nothing to lose. Any other outcome to the leadership contest would consign her to the political wilderness, probably irrevocably.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:24pm Drivel - utter drivel...Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 12.21.33.png
When people who should be smarter come out with such twaddle it makes me wonder if they are just lying thinking we'll believe such drivel or are they so dumb they can't recognise what they're saying is just rubbish.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 5:17pm
simonineaston wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:24pm Drivel - utter drivel...Screenshot 2022-10-22 at 12.21.33.png
When people who should be smarter come out with such twaddle it makes me wonder if they are just lying thinking we'll believe such drivel or are they so dumb they can't recognise what they're saying is just rubbish.

Ian
She's a sycophant,there's a lot of it about in politricks and power.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ossie

Post by ossie »

francovendee wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 3:45pm I was born, educated ( what little there was of it) and earned a living in England. I have a daughter and two grandchildren living there but every day that passes I become more grateful that I no longer live there.
France has its problems, strikes and fuel shortages etc, but nothing like the self inflicted chaos I see going on in the UK.
I'm sure a few forum members will accuse me of being ant-British but the complete opposite is the case.
I try to stand up for the UK but I've run out of excuses.
It's fine here, as usual the press and threads like this make you think the sky's falling in. Apart from some prices in the supermarket going up, fuel prices are falling rapidly, we know where we stand in relation to gas /leccy for the next six months, trust me things are completely normal apart from shuffling around the top table - which is par for the course.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ossie wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 8:49pm
francovendee wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 3:45pm I was born, educated ( what little there was of it) and earned a living in England. I have a daughter and two grandchildren living there but every day that passes I become more grateful that I no longer live there.
France has its problems, strikes and fuel shortages etc, but nothing like the self inflicted chaos I see going on in the UK.
I'm sure a few forum members will accuse me of being ant-British but the complete opposite is the case.
It's fine here, as usual the press and threads like this make you think the sky's falling in. Apart from some prices in the supermarket going up, fuel prices are falling rapidly, we know where we stand in relation to gas /leccy for the next six months, trust me things are completely normal apart from shuffling around the top table - which is par for the course.
Try telling that to a young couple with a £200k mortgage
Or some old dependent person whose carehome is about to close,or is stuck in hospital bed blocking because they've nowhere to go.
Or someone on minimum wage whose rent and food bills have rocketed out of all proportion recently and don't know how they'll cope.
Fuel costs are not going down at all,in fact they're on the way back up after a slight dip from around £1.90 a litre to £1.60 now at around £1.66.Before the pandemic fuel prices were around £1.30ish or less.
We know where we stand with enegy costs for the next six months because if the government hadn't helped out there'd have been riots,when they should've taxed the enegy companies making huge profits in the first place not loaned the public some tide over cash that the taxpayer would need to pay back in the future.
What about the NHS on the brink with 50,000 nurses an 5,000 doctors short,ambulances queued up at A&Es due to bedblocking,unable to get to the next urgent call,it's never been this bad!
It's the "shuffling at the top table" that's causing all this sh*tshow and it's only set to get worse as we enter winter.

What I think you mean is,Ossie is alright!
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Oct 2022, 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Maybe you should include my daughter and SIL . In the last few months she's told me of being told after 2 years she still has to wait for an operation. Her husband has just, for a second time, broken a spring on the car from running into a pothole on a main road. Still unable to get her mother into a care home after 18 months of trying to get her a place. Their mortgage is £200000 so interest rates are shooting up and affecting the family budget. Having to feed kids in her school, so poor they don't get breakfast.
I can't comment on polluted rivers or rail problems.
I do listen to the news, mostly UK but some French. I think the UK media is mostly right wing so you'd think they would be playing down any problems.
ossie

Post by ossie »

francovendee wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 9:07am Maybe you should include my daughter and SIL . In the last few months she's told me of being told after 2 years she still has to wait for an operation. Her husband has just, for a second time, broken a spring on the car from running into a pothole on a main road. Still unable to get her mother into a care home after 18 months of trying to get her a place. Their mortgage is £200000 so interest rates are shooting up and affecting the family budget. Having to feed kids in her school, so poor they don't get breakfast.
I can't comment on polluted rivers or rail problems.
I do listen to the news, mostly UK but some French. I think the UK media is mostly right wing so you'd think they would be playing down any problems.
Its strange because here's a recent article about healthcare in France. It looks like you have the same issues as us. Ours have simply been amplified by covid. So do we believe this article or not - I'm not sure.
On life support: can France's struggling healthcare system be saved?
https://www.euronews.com/2022/07/08/on- ... m-be-saved

Regarding roads there is massive investment happening, £27 billions worth and anyone who travels on main arterial routes will see it, its the same old issues however on local roads, I doubt its any different from when you lived here, that said we've recently had various residential streets completely re tarmacced.

Base rates are still at 2.25%, historically low. The BOE has forecast they won't go above 5% . The truth is borrowing has been too cheap for too long and interest rates were always forecast to rise, not just this quickly due to the ineptitude of Truss. I have two kids with similar mortgages of £200k, fortunately they're both fixed. They were however stress tested on application for future rises of 4 to 5% so should be able to cope when it comes to renewal time. That said at the moment there's a large difference between the actual base rate and panic invoked variables, this will settle in time.

You mention rail problems which is pot kettle black surely from someone in France. At least we advertise our strikes well in advance unlike the French who will literally strike on a whim :wink:

Polluted Rivers ? Thats a new one on me, we have several rivers near us and the kids have been swimming in them all summer but I guess there's a doom monger article somewhere.

Our problems are no different than most other countries, increasing interest rates, fuel prices, food prices inflation etc.

Hopefully this thread can be put to bed soon and Sunak or someone can steady the ship. Then of course we have the next bunch of jokers to take over the economy in two years time, they really are all the same.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

It's fine here,
Unless you need an Ambulance, Or an Operation. Then your f**ked.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'll be able to see how things are or seem to be at the end of November as I'm visiting for a week and travelling by car. Maybe the road congestion won't be as bad as I fear. By then Boris should be back sorting it out. :roll:
ossie

Post by ossie »

francovendee wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 10:42am I'll be able to see how things are or seem to be at the end of November as I'm visiting for a week and travelling by car. Maybe the road congestion won't be as bad as I fear. By then Boris should be back sorting it out. :roll:
I guess it depends on where you're travelling but congestion will often be bad at certain times .( Something to do with cramming as many people as possible into a small country). The train strikes have to be advertised at least two weeks in advance so take note of the dates as they will impact further on the road situation.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Portsmouth to Rickmansworth. I guess it'll mean M3 and M25. I'm allowing 3 hours for the journey. Should be plenty of time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

An interesting conversation on LBC with Sangita Miska and someone who claims to be a typical Tory party member and why he thinks Rishi Sunak shouldn't be the party leader:- https://youtu.be/cPYdzIt7p7s
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 1:01pm An interesting conversation on LBC with Sangita Miska and someone who claims to be a typical Tory party member and why he thinks Rishi Sunak shouldn't be the party leader:- https://youtu.be/cPYdzIt7p7s
None of them "should" be party leader. But it comes down to the least bad choice and the vast majority of the UK electorate get no say.

Ian
ossie

Post by ossie »

francovendee wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 12:51pm Portsmouth to Rickmansworth. I guess it'll mean M3 and M25. I'm allowing 3 hours for the journey. Should be plenty of time.
Yes, should be fine. From Portsmouth take the A3 its quicker anyway (The M3 has roadworks and a 50mph limit from Eastleigh up to Winchester). Of course either way you'll have to negotiate the M25 up to 'Ricky' . You'll probably hit traffic around the M4 / Heathrow junctions but it moves, obviously try and keep clear of rush hour if you can.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Couldn't believe what I've just heard on BBC radio 4 just now.

Damian Hinds who resigned in the summer as security minister was asked on "The World This Weekend " show

" If Boris was chosen as prime minister again, would you serve under him?"

I was expecting the answer to be obviously "NO!" but he skirted around the question stuttering out that he'd serve his country type of general answer.

Aren't politicians supposed to be smart enough to know that this marks his card as just another money grabbing self serving worm? ( I do a disservice to worms everywhere )
I am here. Where are you?