Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

And apart from the personality issues working in local government is one of the best ways to prepare for being a Minister.

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

He's made a right mess of the clean air zone stuff though. Very poor performance generally on that.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I get the impression that directly-elected mayors can be a way of thwarting traditional local government. The chap alleged to have his brain missing is the epitome of that.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 11:11am Do people think Andy Burnham has any realistic prospects at the national level? I just see him as a lingering hangover from New Labour.
A hang over from new Labour maybe, but he could run rings around Johnson and offer something other than more of the same..
Even New Labour would be far preferable to 4 more years of hard right Tory government at the next GE.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Piffle Johnson's cousin lives in New York. She's written a thoughtful piece for the Byline Times, on the subject of the pm's and the UK's attitude to immigration - see here in which she points out that one of Piffle's grandparents was a "a distinguished human rights barrister who worked to advance international human rights..." Ooops - just as well he's gone to a better place, rather than see what his grandson has amounted to.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well the current home secretary is daughter of Ugandan-Indian migrants who'd never succeed in entering under her current policies. :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 10:27am That said i view PR as far more important and i suspect a number of EU members may be wary of any substantially closer relationship whilst we still operate under the instability of fptp.
I've said it endlessly on here, and endlessly much of my adult life, that FPTP is a silly and stupid and daft system.
Yes, it's simple, but it never ever gives a good result unless it's a walkover.

Just say there are two candidates.
One gets 50.5 percent of the vote.
The other gets 49.5 percent of the vote.

50.5 candidate gets elected when half of the voters are utterly against it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think politicians and their advisors understand the system well and a lot of what we are discussing implies a wish for change among the electorate.

The bonus question is how change will be achieved without a revolution, losing a war (civil or otherwise) or ... er ... that's it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was elected president of the CPO's mess in HMS Sirius back in early 1988. I was Pres of the Mess until I left the ship over a year later.

FPTP was a simple majority for me, but I was the only candidate and managed a 100% vote.
I'd been in HMS Sirius for three years by then, having been Mess Treasurer before that. My election was from the mess members numbering 20odd and they wanted me as Pres.
Had there been two candidates, and we'd have been level pegging we would have shared the office. One Vice, the other Pres and swapped over every few months.

HMS Ambuscade, and that very situation occurred. Bob S for a while, and then Vic B.
I remember it well, and personally preferred Bob. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:19pm
Stevek76 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 10:27am That said i view PR as far more important and i suspect a number of EU members may be wary of any substantially closer relationship whilst we still operate under the instability of fptp.
I've said it endlessly on here, and endlessly much of my adult life, that FPTP is a silly and stupid and daft system.

A bit like Brexit then :roll: just saying.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:24pm I think politicians and their advisors understand the system well and a lot of what we are discussing implies a wish for change among the electorate.

The bonus question is how change will be achieved without a revolution, losing a war (civil or otherwise) or ... er ... that's it.
In other words the Turkeys etc... ....which in turn leaves the population at their mercy and up a smelly creek sans paddle!
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:49pm
Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:19pm

Are you a mind reader? I had the very same thought. It was the will of (some) of the people after all so I must stop re-moaning. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:56pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:49pm
Are you a mind reader? I had the very same thought. It was the will of (some) of the people after all so I must stop re-moaning. :lol:
:wink:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

R2, absolutely correct.

I never wanted to be in the EU in the first place, and I voted to leave given that chance. I was never asked if we should have even joined!
Trouble is, the leave/remain vote was too close for comfort.

It should have been annulled perhaps, and another vote taken later after we had all inwardly digested the result.
Maybe General Elections when they are split closely, should be re-voted upon later.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 9:34pm R2, absolutely correct.

I never wanted to be in the EU in the first place, and I voted to leave given that chance. I was never asked if we should have even joined!
Trouble is, the leave/remain vote was too close for comfort.

It should have been annulled perhaps, and another vote taken later after we had all inwardly digested the result.
Maybe General Elections when they are split closely, should be re-voted upon later.
It would seem reasonable that a good margin be required for a referendums of major significance e.g. 60% to 40%. Maybe the laws for such referendums should state that if such a margin is not achieved one way or the other and maybe with a minimum turnout %age of those eligible a repeats referendum will be held e.g. 4 years later. Would apply to things like EU membership, Scottish Independence. As you say, just crawling over the line is not enough when the outcome has such major impacts on everybody.

Ian