Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 10:10am So why do the Remainiacs and hard left continually keep denigrating Britain?
Demonising opposition to the ruling party as being unpatriotic has a long history in fascist, communist and other authoritarian dictatorships.

Typically this involves the use of vitriolic terms of abuse, labelling reasonable concerns as extreme, as exemplified here.

Together with control of the media, suppression of rights to assemble and voting rights, these propaganda tactics, taken up enthusiastically by government supporters as seen here, also often characterise the slide into authoritarian government. Punishment of out groups such as religious or racial minorities in performative ways is also common. A charismatic leader will be ascribed special powers which allow him (it's always a him) and only him to save the country from the malaise brought on by these enemies from without, who are aided by the "enemies of the people" within, invariably including intellectuals and the like.

But at least the previous paragraph isn't descriptive of today's Britain. Is it?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Authoritarian dictatorship! Pfffft... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's none so blind as them that will not see!
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Jun 2022, 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Today's quiz.

There are two by-elections this week. Guess which party produced each of these.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

An insight into how stories appear in some newspapers. And then disappear.

"Mystery surrounds Times exclusive claiming Boris Johnson wanted to give Carrie Symonds a £100,000 role":
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/boris- ... reet-role/

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

With rising inflation and a resistance to admit any downsides caused by leaving the EU. Our once great country is being slowly diminished.
It doesn't have to be like this. A change of government and facing up to what is needed to have a decent relationship with our European neighbors could sort it out and not upset anyone apart from the UDP and the ERG.
Lying to the country and shaking your fist at the EU isn't working very well.

I wonder if telling the truth is the same as running your country down?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:57am ...
Maybe not but for Johnson and his cronies it's great fun and very profitable and certainly satisfies narcissistic needs. e.g This year bankers got biggest bonuses since before the 2008 crisis (they caused) e.g. how much profit would all those friends of Conservative MPs have made without selling the Gov. faulty PPE at overinflated prices without scrutiny?.

Ian
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Psamathe wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 12:11pm
francovendee wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:57am ...
Maybe not but for Johnson and his cronies it's great fun and very profitable and certainly satisfies narcissistic needs. e.g This year bankers got biggest bonuses since before the 2008 crisis (they caused) e.g. how much profit would all those friends of Conservative MPs have made without selling the Gov. faulty PPE at overinflated prices without scrutiny?.

Ian
Yes but no but yes but no but ..... they're a better class of people! Just look how well educated they are and the cut of their suits. Also, they have those nice accents. Mr Mogg even has a nice haircut, a bit like that one on the nice German fellow's brow, from the 1930s. (Those were the days).

Cugel, trying senile ole Boomer mode.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:08am An insight into how stories appear in some newspapers. And then disappear.

"Mystery surrounds Times exclusive claiming Boris Johnson wanted to give Carrie Symonds a £100,000 role":
I've seen it pointed out a few times today that this story is actually months old having been published in Ashcroft's book on Ms Symonds and included in the extract/advertorial for the book published in the daily mail (which is still online).

This bears some similarity to partygate where one event (the birthday one i think) was covered in sufficient detail (the times iirc) to be obviously both guidance and law breaking at the time it happened. But no one really noticed.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 9:36pm Authoritarian dictatorship! Pfffft... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
You've certainly convinced me to vote for Johnson, though I believe "piffle", not "pfft" is generally approved by our dear leader as the dismissive to avoid answering genuine concerns.

Such as attempting to get a public job for his mistress.

We could note at this point that enrichment of associates at public expense is also a key feature of authoritarianism.

As is suppression of reporting of such.

Move along now, nothing to see here.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As you 'mentor' chinese students. Have a little word with them about life back home...

Party member and policeman in every block keeping an eye on things

Want to relocate somewhere else...you will have to seek permission from the authorities!

Say the wrong thing...instant arrest and get sent to a re education facility.

Criminal or subversive activity...likely to result in facing a firing squad

Thats just for starters....

You have no idea.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: .......You have no idea.

Al
I think everyone has a very good idea of the end result of an authoritarian dictatorship.
What people on here are say is that this government is making ickle fairy steps toward decreasing people's freedom,whilst the ruling classes are allowed more freedom.
There are many,many examples posted upthread that you either blank or don't choose to see!
Others have their eyes wide open and see the Tories and capitalism in it's present form for what is!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 2:08pm
al_yrpal wrote: .......You have no idea.

Al
I think everyone has a very good idea of the end result of an authoritarian dictatorship.
What people on here are say is that this government is making ickle fairy steps toward decreasing people's freedom,whilst the ruling classes are allowed more freedom.
There are many,many examples posted upthread that you either blank or don't choose to see!
Others have their eyes wide open and see the Tories and capitalism in it's present form for what is!
I believe many examples are sometimes exagerated and are mostly driven by political ideology and class hatred rather than sensible interpretation of the situation.
People who glue themselves to motorways obstructing thousands and causing utter chaos, death and pain should be stopped IMO. I think the Police will apply the law sensibly allowing peaceful demos and protests to take place as they should.
Trying to equate this to what goes on in N Korea, China and Venezuela wont wash and makes those putting forward that view look pretty stupid.
Having lived in a mining community I do understand where this sort of nonsense comes from...the 1970s where we sadly seem to be heading back to. :( As for open eyes, a wide eyed stare is often a sign of unreasoning extremism. Scargill was a great example.

The British public have their eye upon Boris and his mates and if they dont up their game they going to be out pretty soon. Now its up to the middle and left to convince the public that they can do better without plunging the country into a further economic mess run by the bullys.

Al
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:27pm As you 'mentor' chinese students. Have a little word with them about life back home...
Al, I have no idea why you think I mentor Chinese students. I don't.

You previously spent literally months telling me I was an ex-pat. I'm not.

This seems quite an odd pattern of behaviour from my perspective!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:27pm As you 'mentor' chinese students. Have a little word with them about life back home...

Party member and policeman in every block keeping an eye on things

Want to relocate somewhere else...you will have to seek permission from the authorities!

Say the wrong thing...instant arrest and get sent to a re education facility.

Criminal or subversive activity...likely to result in facing a firing squad

Thats just for starters....

You have no idea.

Al
On the substance, I work with Chinese people on a daily basis, and visited China just before the pandemic.

I have no idea why the movement of the UK away from enlightenment values and human rights does not concern you, given that China is such a great exemplification of the potential, but I'm sure you can explain it.

It does concern me.