Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by francovendee »

djnotts wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 10:45pm ".....mainly he's no longer an election winner and we know what that means in the Conservative Party."

2 years is a LONG time in politics. He is likely to be a winner again in the medium term. There is no Labour alternative - Starmer is another "grey" man and no traditional Labour voter could vote for him, including me. Only a Lib-Lab coalition, with the promise of proportional representation might win.
Two years is a long time in politics and I'm sure the last two weeks has seemed like two years to the Tories.
I think he'd be unlikely to get a second chance from his Party but more likely he'd not want it. He's got his name in the history books and he can earn far more money writing for a living. He won't have the status he has now but this may be an attraction.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:45am An exSpAd on the drinking culture in Whitehall:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... nk-problem
Frankly, that's shocking. I don't recall whether there was an absolute ban on alcohol at all of my workplaces, but I do remember at least one colleague being sacked on the spot for being - er - inebriated at work. Surely that's the norm in all sensibly-run workplaces? (Except, perhaps, pubs).

I keep thinking, if only we had Jim Callaghan back! - he was a notable teetotaller. But in fact many people high up in politics don't drink. Joe Biden doesn't drink (Unfortunately, neither did Donald Trump. Nor Hitler...).

I speak as an almost-teetotaller myself (we use wine occasionally in cooking, that's all). But I hope I don't come across all sanctimonious here! In reality, I found, some years ago, that a pint of beer (~ 2.5 units) would set me into palpitations, and even a half-pint made me uncomfortable. So I stay clear of the stuff now - and none the worse for it. Just asking others to think about it...

One crumb of comfort: Rishi Sunak, apparently, is also a TT. So if he becomes PM, perhaps the culture will change...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:24am .......One crumb of comfort: Rishi Sunak, apparently, is also a TT. So if he becomes PM, perhaps the culture will change...
With Sunak in charge the drinking at work may change,but I doubt the Tory lack of ethics or the gulf between rich and poor and the general poor state of the nation won't!
I'd dearly love to be proven wrong,though very much doubt I will.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:24amJust asking others to think about it...
Excellent advice. Think about our own alcohol consumption. And discuss it.

Jonathan

PS: Just the same as politics and statues and eScooters and helmets... openness and evidence and rational debate are the best tools to get us out of many holes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the spirit of openness, I'll note that it used to be normal for large police stations to have a Home Office Canteen ie licensed premises where the chief constable was, in effect, the licensing authority. No drinking on duty.

Dewsbury was the only place I was posted where there was such a bar, but it was a complete pita. AFAIK, Keith Hellawell took the same view as me and closed them all in West Yorkshire not long after I retired. The more general liquor licensing was transferred from the police to local authorities after that time and I've no idea what the current legislation allows.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

pwa wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 7:23am I bring great news.
Radio 4 this morning is saying that Tory MPs are reporting inboxes rammed with angry messages from long term supporters who want Boris out. This has to be the end for Boris. The backing of his MPs will not persist if they perceive that their Tory backing constituents are furious. I expect the number of Tory MPs demanding that he go will rise significantly over the next few days. I think he is toast now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60005134
But who next for PM? I can't think of anyone in the cabinet who might look like a breath of fresh air.
Then there are supporters like this:-
This is a direct quote from a Facebook feed of work colleague.61 years old,40 years in the Steel Industry, lifelong Labour voter who voted for Boris and to leave the EU.This follows rant-after-rant about lockdowns and he and his wife not being able to take their annual holiday in the Dominican Republic.Sorry about the Grammar but it's a cut-and-paste.
Think it's Time that the British Media got on with some proper news stories instead of digging back over the past 2 or 3 years just to see how they can make our government, especially Boris look like he is taking the micturate out of every British Citizens abiding to the Covid rules and regulations.why has it only come out 2 years later about the so called party's. He has had a thankless job with Brexit then Covid. I'm pretty sure if it was a labour government things would be the same. Just a load of tell tail shits that won't to pull each other down. I've got my trust in Boris. Keep up the good work. 👍👍👍. And definitely don't listen to the labour man Kier Starmer whatever

The quote is bad enough but the 40+ replies all agree with him.
The Tories have conned a certain sort of person to vote for them now,I won't use the word but think Pork product, and whilst they have this continued support we are screwed :|
Another 'friend' removed from my list as I'm sick of arguing with people so stupid.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:02am
Cowsham wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 7:53pm
francovendee wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 7:18pm
Oh god no!!
Why not?
Her opposition to wind farms and renewable energy.
An ardent pro supporter of brexit and I suspect someone who would find walking away from any deal with the EU as quite acceptable.
Another example
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrea-leadsom-men-paedophiles-childcare-workers-hired-sensible-a7139351.html wrote:Andrea Leadsom says men should not be hired to do childcare as they may be paedophiles
She made the comments in an interview during the Conservative leadership contest

Men should not be hired to look after young children because of the risk they might be paedophiles, Andrea Leadsom has said.

The Conservative MP and former leadership candidate said the “odds were stacked against” people who hired men and worried they would abuse their children.
Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hellhound wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:07am This is a direct quote from a Facebook feed of work colleague.61 years old,40 years in the Steel Industry, lifelong Labour voter who voted for Boris and to leave the EU.This follows rant-after-rant about lockdowns and he and his wife not being able to take their annual holiday in the Dominican Republic.Sorry about the Grammar but it's a cut-and-paste.
...which is why I sometimes think, the voting franchise should be restricted to the functionally literate...

[No, don't answer that... :roll: ]

...and yes, before you ask, yes I did read The Rise of the Meritocracy. Not sure I understood it all, and not sure I fully agree with Michael Young's point of view - but then I'm no expert.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Men should not be hired to look after young children because of the risk they might be paedophiles, Andrea Leadsom has said.
Presumably she's never heard of Ghislaine Maxwell ... or Myra Hindley.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I will be interested to see if I get a reply from my MP - sent the e-mail, attaching my fathers death certificate (which is dated a few days before the No 10 Party Johnson attended). On the subject line I included "I Expect A Reply".

I eventually decided Johnson is making to many errors it's worse for UK for him to stay even if that gives the Conservatives a better chance next General election. No way Johnson will step down so only way is for his MPs to throw him out through their Party procedures.

It's reported he is considering discarding all Covid rules as a move to save himself - the health of the nation mid way through a pandemic and he's considering discarding all precautions to save his own position!

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I'd fear for the transport policy if sunak was in charge. We've already seen the treasury's short sighted influences in things like the IRP. Indeed any other conservative leader would likely result in a deterioration in both transport and environmental policies.

As much as Johnson is an incompetent narcissistic idiot, I think he's almost certainly less dangerous than any of the significantly less incompetent contenders.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:24am
francovendee wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:02am
Cowsham wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 7:53pm

Why not?
Her opposition to wind farms and renewable energy.
An ardent pro supporter of brexit and I suspect someone who would find walking away from any deal with the EU as quite acceptable.
Another example
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrea-leadsom-men-paedophiles-childcare-workers-hired-sensible-a7139351.html wrote:Andrea Leadsom says men should not be hired to do childcare as they may be paedophiles
She made the comments in an interview during the Conservative leadership contest

The Conservative MP and former leadership candidate said the “odds were stacked against” people who hired men and worried they would abuse their children.
Ian
Maybe she read this from the very same newspaper
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 34624.html
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:02pm
The list of males convicted for the same or much worse is too long to quote here -- I'm sure everyone of you could name ten high profile cases off the top of your head.

Andrea had a point -- it's just the inconvenient truth ---- again!
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:23pm Maybe she read this from the very same newspaper
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 34624.html
It begs the question how do they know?
And what's the percentage of women paedophiles?
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Jan 2022, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:27pm
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:02pm
The list of males convicted for the same or much worse is too long to quote here -- I'm sure everyone of you could name ten high profile cases off the top of your head.

Andrea had a point -- it's just the inconvenient truth ---- again!
Is it though?
Or could it be the incomplete truth of statistics?

There can be no doubt there are many paedophiles but are they all men?

And should men not be allowed to be nurses or doctors because there's been some high profile murderers and paedophiles in the medical profession?
W H Auden