Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:23am The public has become mistrustful and find politics something they don't want to be concerned with.
In my view schools should include politics as part of teaching.
You're 20 years behind the times. From Wiki:

Citizenship education has been a statutory subject in the English National Curriculum since 2001. It must be taught as part of the school curriculum to all pupils aged 11–16 years old in maintained schools in England.

Politics is one of the four key areas, the others being financial skills, volunteering and law.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:55am
francovendee wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:23am The public has become mistrustful and find politics something they don't want to be concerned with.

Citizenship education has been a statutory subject in the English National Curriculum since 2001. It must be taught as part of the school curriculum to all pupils aged 11–16 years old in maintained schools in England.

Politics is one of the four key areas, the others being financial skills, volunteering and law.
But how much time is given to it in a crowded curriculum?
How well is it taught?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

At what level is this taught. General politics, historical, support ( financial) for the parties?
More education required.
I've a friend who is a teacher and he's told me it is a very low priority subject in the schools he's taught in
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Carrie Johnston's birthday is on the 17th of March.

On the 29th Boris announced he tested positive for covid-19 ( remember this is when he announced it -- not when he contracted it )

I wonder if there had been a party for her birthday?

She allegedly contracted covid after him so he didn't get it from her -- allegedly.

(Edit) I suppose it wasn't full lockdown at that point just non essential gatherings advice.
I am here. Where are you?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:59am

How well is it taught?
At secondary school in the 1980s and before citizenship was on the National Curriculum or, later, compulsory we did 'Life Skills' - which included politics. I can't really say if it was well or badly taught and I wasn't a good student, but I think teaching about our political system has been around in one guise or another for a long time. And of course it is generally at least partly covered in history - or even economics - both subjects I did at O level.

But more interestingly most children now stay at school till 18. It could be argued that leaving school at 16, getting a job, knowing a workplace, actually having the feel of real money in your pay packet and giving some of that to your Mum for housekeeping (I did that but from 18) was a far better education in reality than a classroom subject. It's odd that people clamour for 16 year-olds to get the vote, but actually the 16 year-olds prior to about 2007 (possibly about 1997 looking at the focus on university education) would have been better equipped to do so than those now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 9:27am
reohn2 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:59am

How well is it taught?
At secondary school in the 1980s and before citizenship was on the National Curriculum or, later, compulsory we did 'Life Skills' - which included politics. I can't really say if it was well or badly taught and I wasn't a good student, but I think teaching about our political system has been around in one guise or another for a long time. And of course it is generally at least partly covered in history - or even economics - both subjects I did at O level.

But more interestingly most children now stay at school till 18. It could be argued that leaving school at 16, getting a job, knowing a workplace, actually having the feel of real money in your pay packet and giving some of that to your Mum for housekeeping (I did that but from 18) was a far better education in reality than a classroom subject. It's odd that people clamour for 16 year-olds to get the vote, but actually the 16 year-olds prior to about 2007 (possibly about 1997 looking at the focus on university education) would have been better equipped to do so than those now.

I agree with most of that though leaving school in the 60's I had no political teaching and wasn't interested in politics until 20's.
BITD in an industrial economy there were plenty of jobs for people who weren't interested in academic study and so the real world became apparent sooner in life,15 in my case,13 in my father's.
Children stay at school longer to keep them from extending dole queues some in mickey mouse academic studies with qualifications that lead nowhere,in colleges and universities run as businesses rather than centres of real education.
That I suppose is the result of the country focusing on a ""service economy" as a result we now have a generation not interested in getting their hands dirty,a sweeping statemne agreed but generally true.

IMO social media has a lot to answer for with regard to ignorance of politics though that can be a two edged sword.

But the point is what quality of political education is being taught to a generation more interested in celebrities,Whatapp,Tiktok and palying the latest games on their PC,phone or iPad.

Meanwhile the owners of such media make billions and skip paying taxes due to offshore tax havens,provided by corrupt governments they own.

A jaundiced view?
Possibly,but it's hard getting out of that trap set,especially if you're from a poor family,if you're of colour harder still,and people wonder why we have a drugs problem?
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

There are more reports today of Tory MPs breaking ranks and openly saying Boris must go. It is a slow process but it seems to have some momentum building. The first few have to be brave, the ones following need a little less courage, but the choice to ditch him may become easier if and when a few dozen have declared themselves dissatisfied. And as soon as he looks to be a gonner, nearly all will jump ship just to be sure of being on the winning side. I'd still put money on him being gone in a matter of weeks.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:31am There are more reports today of Tory MPs breaking ranks and openly saying Boris must go. It is a slow process but it seems to have some momentum building. The first few have to be brave, the ones following need a little less courage, but the choice to ditch him may become easier if and when a few dozen have declared themselves dissatisfied. And as soon as he looks to be a gonner, nearly all will jump ship just to be sure of being on the winning side. I'd still put money on him being gone in a matter of weeks.
IMHO he's on the way out,it's just a matter of time.
What concerns me most is that his replacement won't be much better if at all :?
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 9:16am Carrie Johnston's birthday is on the 17th of March.

On the 29th Boris announced he tested positive for covid-19 ( remember this is when he announced it -- not when he contracted it )

I wonder if there had been a party for her birthday?

She allegedly contracted covid after him so he didn't get it from her -- allegedly.

(Edit) I suppose it wasn't full lockdown at that point just non essential gatherings advice.
On the 29th Boris announced he allegedly tested positive for covid-19(remember this is when he announced it-not when he allegedly contracted it) :wink:
I do not believe he actually had it nor was he in hospital with it.All a massive publicity stunt IMO.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:34am
From a transport & cycling perspective I think there's a major risk his replacement will be worse. Would at least like to see him limp on until some of the already delayed but nearly there stuff is through. I.e. Active Travel England, moving traffic offences for non London councils etc.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stevek76 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:02am
reohn2 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:34am
From a transport & cycling perspective I think there's a major risk his replacement will be worse. Would at least like to see him limp on until some of the already delayed but nearly there stuff is through. I.e. Active Travel England, moving traffic offences for non London councils etc.
You could very well be right there.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

pwa wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:31am There are more reports today of Tory MPs breaking ranks and openly saying Boris must go. It is a slow process but it seems to have some momentum building. The first few have to be brave, the ones following need a little less courage, but the choice to ditch him may become easier if and when a few dozen have declared themselves dissatisfied. And as soon as he looks to be a gonner, nearly all will jump ship just to be sure of being on the winning side. I'd still put money on him being gone in a matter of weeks.
The today programme reported ex Tory whips and others loitering near the staircase to 'discourage' MPs handing in letters of no confidence. Bullying or coercion or just happened to be there?
The red wall new MPs seem prepared to stand up and be counted. Good for them, they're trying to give the party some respect.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:06am
The today programme reported ex Tory whips and others loitering near the staircase to 'discourage' MPs handing in letters of no confidence. Bullying or coercion or just happened to be there?
The red wall new MPs seem prepared to stand up and be counted. Good for them, they're trying to give the party some respect.
Wrath of the whips does not lose them their jobs (being an MP). Wrath of the electorate with Johnson does lose them their jobs (being an MP).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Thinking about Conservative Party procedures and risks of enough letters then Johnson wins the vote of no confidence; whilst the 54 (or whatever) letters is not enough MPs to oust him, if a confidence vote was triggered I suspect a lot of supporters of the various contenders would take the opportunity to oust Johnson. Were he to survive the vote that gives him a year to improve, get through the pandemic, get through cost-of-living crisis and in a year he might be a lot harder to get out.

Ian