Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 3:34pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:08pm
Cowsham wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:41pm He's getting mauled in prime ministers question time on BBC2 right now -- David Davis has just told him " You've sat there too long for all the good you've done - in the name of God GO!"
But now the public turn against him and he's no longer any use. Suddenly, miraculously, the scales fall from Davis's eyes. And, most deliciously of all, the man who whipped up fear of foreigners and outsiders as a means to gain power, is condemned by one who held on to his shirt tails for his own ends. Naturally, The War must be invoked at this point, for the UK is forever condemned to look backwards to this most glorious chapter. And he quote used? Chamberlain condemned for his insufficient rigour in standing up to another politician who used loathing of outsiders to gain power.
Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 15.29.20.png
Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 15.32.31.png

Jonathan
Should we be surprised from a lazy pathalogical narcissitic liar who can't even research the content of his own book!
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 Jan 2022, 8:21am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:09pm Thinking about Conservative Party procedures and risks of enough letters then Johnson wins the vote of no confidence; whilst the 54 (or whatever) letters is not enough MPs to oust him, if a confidence vote was triggered I suspect a lot of supporters of the various contenders would take the opportunity to oust Johnson. Were he to survive the vote that gives him a year to improve, get through the pandemic, get through cost-of-living crisis and in a year he might be a lot harder to get out.

Ian
It could be argued that the best outcome for anyone wanting the Tories to lose the next General Election would be for Boris to survive a major rebellion and limp on as a wounded and discredited figure providing Labour and the other parties with plenty to aim at.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:08pm The War must be invoked at this point, for the UK is forever condemned to look backwards to this most glorious chapter. And he quote used? Chamberlain condemned for his insufficient rigour in standing up to another politician who used loathing of outsiders to gain power.
Interesting, because when I heard the report of the quote I immediately thought of Cromwell speaking to the Rump Parliament - and although there's some doubt as to exactly what Cromwell said it was a quotable remark attributed to Cromwell well before Amery used it about Chamberlain.

I wonder which of the two Davis had in mind when he decided to use the quote. And how many people are as likely to make a link to WW2 as you have done.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 6:38am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:08pm The War must be invoked at this point, for the UK is forever condemned to look backwards to this most glorious chapter. And he quote used? Chamberlain condemned for his insufficient rigour in standing up to another politician who used loathing of outsiders to gain power.
Interesting, because when I heard the report of the quote I immediately thought of Cromwell speaking to the Rump Parliament - and although there's some doubt as to exactly what Cromwell said it was a quotable remark attributed to Cromwell well before Amery used it about Chamberlain.

I wonder which of the two Davis had in mind when he decided to use the quote. And how many people are as likely to make a link to WW2 as you have done.
Davis mentioned Amery just before he used the quotation.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

sjs wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 7:04am
Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 6:38am

Davis mentioned Amery just before he used the quotation.
Ah - thanks. I wonder why Davis thought Amery was the better one to choose - it definitely not being his originally. Maybe Cromwell has too many shades of republicanism and telling Parliament to bugger off!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I took it that ousting Chamberlain was the key to getting Churchill into his wartime role here, bearing in mind that Boris Johnson apes the latter
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

pwa wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 4:43am
Psamathe wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:09pm Thinking about Conservative Party procedures and risks of enough letters then Johnson wins the vote of no confidence; whilst the 54 (or whatever) letters is not enough MPs to oust him, if a confidence vote was triggered I suspect a lot of supporters of the various contenders would take the opportunity to oust Johnson. Were he to survive the vote that gives him a year to improve, get through the pandemic, get through cost-of-living crisis and in a year he might be a lot harder to get out.

Ian
It could be argued that the best outcome for anyone wanting the Tories to lose the next General Election would be for Boris to survive a major rebellion and limp on as a wounded and discredited figure providing Labour and the other parties with plenty to aim at.
Spot on. He needs to stay and continue to lose the Tories their new found voters and those that aren't die hard Tories.
His nature means he'll continue as though all this hasn't happened. This will be his and the Tories downfall.
If the parliament goes to term then by that time we'll have a better idea on the 'success' of leaving the EU.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 7:58am
pwa wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 4:43am It could be argued that the best outcome for anyone wanting the Tories to lose the next General Election would be for Boris to survive a major rebellion and limp on as a wounded and discredited figure providing Labour and the other parties with plenty to aim at.
Spot on. He needs to stay and continue to lose the Tories their new found voters and those that aren't die hard Tories.
His nature means he'll continue as though all this hasn't happened. This will be his and the Tories downfall.
If the parliament goes to term then by that time we'll have a better idea on the 'success' of leaving the EU.
The last thing I want is another day of Boris Johnson and the Tory Party in power,but if it takes him and his despicable band of swine,ruling the country until the next GE to make the people of the UK* realise what a monumental misake they made electing this shower in then so be it.

*The Scots and Welsh had more sense and saw right through them.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Chair of the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee today:

In recent days a number of members of parliament have faced pressures and intimidation from members of the government because of their declared or assumed desire for a vote of confidence in the party leadership of the prime minister.

It is of course the duty of the government whip’s office to secure the government’s business in the House of Commons.

However it is not their function to breach the ministerial code in threatening to withdraw investments from members of parliament’s constituencies which are funded from the public purse.

Additionally, reports to me and others of members of staff at No 10 Downing Street, special advisers, government ministers and others encouraging the publication of stories in the press seeking to embarrass those who they suspect of lacking confidence in the prime minister is simply unacceptable.

The intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter. Moreover, the reports of which I’m aware would seem to constitute blackmail. As such, it would be my general advice to colleagues report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, and they’re also welcome to contact me at any time.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 7:58am
pwa wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 4:43am

Ian
I agree but also he is making so many bad decisions it becomes a question as to what is worse?

Also, through his general approach he has enabled a number of failings that are not directly associated with Johnson that Labour could use to good effect even with a new Conservative Leader e.g. illegal VIP PPE contracts - not something with Johnson's name on the sleaze but broader Conservative Party issues - and that will be passed on to a new leader. It's Johnson's lax inept management that has allowed others (who know that even if caught e.g. bullying he will never hold them to account).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Chair of the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee
Perhaps a significant aspect of this is that William Wragg is a Tory
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:54am
Astonishing. Reminds me of the lengths a certain individual was prepared to go to to "Get Brexit Done", as I believe it may have been termed.

Ugly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:47am Chair of the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee today:

In recent days a number of members of parliament have faced pressures and intimidation from members of the government because of their declared or assumed desire for a vote of confidence in the party leadership of the prime minister.

It is of course the duty of the government whip’s office to secure the government’s business in the House of Commons.

However it is not their function to breach the ministerial code in threatening to withdraw investments from members of parliament’s constituencies which are funded from the public purse.

Additionally, reports to me and others of members of staff at No 10 Downing Street, special advisers, government ministers and others encouraging the publication of stories in the press seeking to embarrass those who they suspect of lacking confidence in the prime minister is simply unacceptable.

The intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter. Moreover, the reports of which I’m aware would seem to constitute blackmail. As such, it would be my general advice to colleagues report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, and they’re also welcome to contact me at any time.

Jonathan
It's only to be expected from this shower of swine,like pigs they roll in there own excrement then stroll around smelling of it thinking the stink is of roses!
And these people run the country?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Boris Johnson: I've seen no evidence of blackmailing
Senior Tory William Wragg - who has called on the PM to resign over parties at No 10 - said rebels faced "pressures and intimidation" from ministers to stop them plotting against Mr Johnson.

And the ex-Tory MP who defected to Labour, Christian Wakeford, said he was threatened over funding for a school.

Mr Johnson told reporters: "I have seen no evidence [and] heard no evidence."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60068612

(Sporting a face mask, the prime minister was aping three wise monkeys)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:54am
It's the appropriate committee. And the Select Committees of the House of Commons have been a very positive development. And are much better at non-partisan working than most of Parliament.

Jonathan