Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:55pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 9:17pm
Jdsk wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 8:51pm PS: I suspect that her report is rapidly becoming irrelevant.
I agree. I think that even Canute Johnson is failing to stop the tide of public opprobrium from rising this time.
"Pressure is building on the Metropolitan police from Tory MPs who want the force to investigate Downing Street’s lockdown parties regardless of the findings of the Sue Gray report this week.":
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -partygate

Jonathan
I think moves are afoot to oust Johnston so I'd say we don't have long to wait. There's a lot of speculation on who will replace him.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 5:25pmEvidence for any of these parties will take them 30 seconds to obtain - CCTV. If they are close surveilling and recording the inside of Hancock's office I'm sure the rear garden to No 10 is well monitored. Or if Johnson has had the recordings wiped, just ask any of the officers providing security at the time (those witnesses to offences in one of the most secure buildings in the country but who failed to report those offences!)
The senior civil servant investigating allegations of at least nine lockdown-breaking parties at Downing Street has been given access to a detailed log of staff movements in and out of the building from security data including swipecards.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... f-building

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

As always if you don't look you'll never find it.
I wonder how much of Sue Gray's report we'll actually see. Maybe a redacted form?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 12:33pm As always if you don't look you'll never find it.
I wonder how much of Sue Gray's report we'll actually see. Maybe a redacted form?
I'm no expert of procedures and how far Ms Gray can go "having her name removed from a report she considered changed by redactions". But if Johnson decides what to redact then if the report effectively finds him guilty he has a choice to resign or redact and then try and smirk away the outcry over his redactions. Redacting gives him a further delay and opportunity to cling on.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Edited: Crossed with Ian's.
francovendee wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 12:33pm As always if you don't look you'll never find it.
I expect that we'll see the findings but not the full report. (That's what's specified in the terms of reference.)

Follow by both an outcry and legal attempts to force disclosure.

Then probably a leaked version.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Raab must be reading what you're writing!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... minic-raab

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only thing I get from that is that Dominic Raab has no idea what will happen because nobody has told him. It's being managed by Boris Johnson's people, not his fellow Cabinet members, and those people will be busking - making it up as they go along
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 12:44pm
Raab must be reading what you're writing!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... minic-raab

Jonathan
Thinking like Raab, Oh! Please don't let this be true. :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 12:51pm The only thing I get from that is that Dominic Raab has no idea what will happen because nobody has told him. It's being managed by Boris Johnson's people, not his fellow Cabinet members, and those people will be busking - making it up as they go along
(My bold)

As per usual! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I read this morning that so far there's no commitment to publish the full report, when it's eventually finished.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 3:42pm I read this morning that so far there's no commitment to publish the full report, when it's eventually finished.
From what is expected there is no way the entire report will be published as some details ought to be redacted e.g. names of Ciil Servants and special advisers who broke rules and who will thus be subject to employment disciplinary proceedings. But that is very different e.g. redacting "Mr Johnson was invited to and attended an illegal party gathering that was not a work meeting". But how will we know what is in the redacted sections? Hence the need for a Police inquiry.

Ian
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'm sure anything redacted will be explained away by: 'It was a security issue'.
I believe in the general public's mind he's guilty no matter what the report says.
This won't stop them continuing to support him, at least not for the next few months.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/partygate-boris-johnson-sue-gray-investigation-b1998921.html wrote:No 10 officials admit holding back information from partygate inquiry after being ‘frightened into silence’
Officials working in No 10 claim they have held back information from Sue Gray’s investigation into the partygate scandal due to a “culture of fear” surrounding the probe.

Three sources told The Independent they have not divulged messages and pictures on their phones after a senior member of staff told them to remove anything that could fuel speculation in the wake of the first party revelations.

Messages in a WhatsApp group were said to contain photographs of people drinking and dancing, as well as references to how hungover people were the next day.

The messages are from the eve of Prince Philip’s funeral, when there were two parties, one to mark the departure of a No 10 photographer and another to mark the departure of James Slack, Downing Street’s director of communications. Mr Slack has since made a public apology.

One source claimed that after being asked to remove information, they subsequently deleted evidence of that party.

They said they were also fearful that, having removed material, they could face censure: “I did the wrong thing and actually deleted stuff.”

“Everyone’s terrified. It’s a witch hunt,” another source told The Independent. “There’s been a culture of fear [in the office] every day since the first party story broke.”

Another source added: "I’ve held back from sharing evidence, it’s too risky. And I’d have to explain why I’d deleted some stuff, which would mean saying I’d felt intimidated."
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 3:42pm I read this morning that so far there's no commitment to publish the full report, when it's eventually finished.
The terms of reference don't mandate it. And there has been no official statement that they will.

So beyond that it will be pressure and leaks and legal action.

FoI? (Unlikely to succeed.)

Judicial review?

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 4:32pm
The terms of reference don't mandate it. And there has been no official statement that they will.

So beyond that it will be pressure and leaks and legal action.

FoI? (Unlikely to succeed.)

Judicial review?

Jonathan
Tory MP pressure was mooted in the Observer article - but IIRC it was Andrew Rawnsley, so may not be the most reliable indicator?