EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by Psamathe »

Relevant report in todays Press
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/20/uk-travellers-to-france-may-be-asked-proof-of-accommodation-as-part-of-post-brexit-changes wrote:...
According to the French government’s website, anyone in France hosting non-EU nationals is expected to complete an attestation d’accueil (accommodation certificate) form and submit it for approval to their town hall, a process taking up to a month.

Once stamped, the form, which costs €30 (£26) and requires supporting documents such as proof of address, income and right of residence, must then be forwarded to the guest so they can show it at the border, where officials are entitled to ask for it.
It is not clear to what extent the requirements will be enforced for post-Brexit British travellers.

Some French immigration lawyers have suggested a simple letter of invitation, rather than an official attestation, may be sufficient for UK nationals visiting friends and family since formal certificates are in theory only required for travellers from countries needing a Schengen visa.

However, accounts of mistreatment of EU citizens in the UK suggest the chance of tougher border checks in the future cannot be excluded and the British government has advised travellers, including those staying with friends or family, to err on the side of caution.
(My bold and colour)

Whilst there are rules, the article has a lot of "may be" and from when I lived in France I quickly learnt that there are millions of rules and regulations and the main thing the French do is ignore them (makes you wonder if they have all those rules so the French can enjoy ignoring them).

But the UK's negotiating attitude and treatment of EU citizens at the border does make one wonder if at best we are more likely to come across officious border staff who decide to enforce the letter for visiting UK citizens.

Ian

n.b The mistreatment is in part
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/13/eu-citizens-arriving-in-uk-being-locked-up-and-expelled wrote:Europeans with job interviews tell of detentions and expulsions despite rules allowing non-visa holders to attend interviews

EU citizens are being sent to immigration removal centres and held in airport detention rooms as the UK government’s “hostile environment” policy falls on them after Brexit, according to campaigners and travellers interviewed by the Guardian.
When they are allowed to enter the UK under the rules!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Thus far it is fortunately all "maybe", but France has a long tradition of the compulsory registration of travellers. Under EU rules this had to be relaxed, and did indeed become even more relaxed in practice. The Johnson government's recent behaviour has not encouraged EU countries to adopt a relaxed posture, although xenophobia and racism have been a long tradition with UK immigration officials, as, sadly, in many other countries.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"A "road to success" for future British cycling stars risks being "wiped out" because of Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic, claim a host of elite names.
"A group of 12 riders, including Tour de France winners Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas, has written to the UK government to raise their concerns.
"They believe post-Brexit rules limiting how much time riders can spend in Europe will hinder development."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/57615391

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

On the cyclist and other working visas this government is too idealistic to change it at the moment as it conflicts with their purist Brexit but I think that eventually something will happen for sportspeople and entertainers etc. Sadly that suggests there will be a gap and unquestionably some young professionals and potential professionals will lose out due to that.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Psamathe wrote: 20 May 2021, 11:02am
Whilst there are rules, the article has a lot of "may be" and from when I lived in France I quickly learnt that there are millions of rules and regulations and the main thing the French do is ignore them (makes you wonder if they have all those rules so the French can enjoy ignoring them).
sounds familiar
I well remember going to italy in the early 80s to stay with an italian family for ten days or so.
Conscientious me had read in some official guide that you were supposed to register with the authorities within a couple of days of arrival or something.
So trotted off to the mega carabinieri HQ to find a lot of bemused folk.
They may have taken my details down (can't remember) to humour me before going back to their office gossip.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 5:35pmI well remember going to italy in the early 80s to stay with an italian family for ten days or so.
Conscientious me had read in some official guide that you were supposed to register with the authorities within a couple of days of arrival or something.
It was pretty common in a lot of countries.

The process in France for hotels etc is recorded in The Day of the Jackal and the original film. I wonder if there's something similar for Italy in Ripley.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

France does have many laws and rules, even the French are unaware of some of them.
They're not normally enforced unless something happens that brings in the authority.
A friend built and sold a house here. He always said it's easier here as there were no building inspectors checking to see the work has been carried out properly. He hadn't and when the purchaser went to law he lost the case and had a legal bill that wiped him out financially.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 3 Jan 2021, 4:34pm
Jdsk wrote:
albal1 wrote:EU visa to commence 2022. §7 valid for 3 years. This on top of the 90 day rule. To all uk residents.
Have you got a source, please?
Presumably talking about ETIAS as mentioned above.

Ah, visas. Pages of discussions await us. Visa, visa free, visa exempt, visa on arrival, tourist card, etc, etc. A pedants charter. This used to be a happy hunting ground for one such on the old Lonely Planet forum.
"Today, the rules making the future European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) interoperable with other EU information systems enter into force. This is an important step towards the entry into operation of ETIAS by the end of 2022."
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... sion-says/

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

So a lot cheaper than the US ESTA system.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

willem jongman wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 2:33pm So a lot cheaper than the US ESTA system.
But nowhere near as good as the system we had before the madness of brexit: it was like moving from Kent to Sussex, couldn't possibly have been any simpler. :roll:
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I could not agree more. Even so, since the UK was not in the Schengen zone, getting into the UK was always a bit harder. You had to bring your passport and wait in line, sometimes for quite a while. I have never seen a welcoming smile on the face of these immigration officers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MartinBrice wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 11:00pm
willem jongman wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 2:33pm So a lot cheaper than the US ESTA system.
But nowhere near as good as the system we had before the madness of brexit: it was like moving from Kent to Sussex, couldn't possibly have been any simpler.
Kent to Sussex maybe... but the other way?

; - (

"Check an HGV is ready to cross the border (Kent Access Permit)"
https://www.gov.uk/check-hgv-border

Jonathan
climo

Post by climo »

willem jongman wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 6:07am I have never seen a welcoming smile on the face of these immigration officers.
Try the US immigration if you want to see unsmiling officers!
climo

Post by climo »

I can't say that I blame France and any EU countries for being hostile to brits. We've messed with their economies, made them employ 100's of customs officials and our wonderful government and press have said some awful xenophobic things about them. If I was a French immigration officer I would most likely be hostile to a brit passing my door.
You reap what you sow.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yes US immigration is in a class of its own - mostly, but I also have some really nice experiences.