EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pendodave

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:44am ... and there are delays in the return of UK passports:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59409509

... and I recommend checking the validity of passports, some countries have changed how close to expiry is acceptable.

I hope the trip works out.

Jonathan
By way of reassurance to cycle tourists everywhere...
My daughter and I have renewed passports recently. 2 different offices involved. 11 day and 21 day turnaround from form filling to delivery.
Tiny sample size and anecdote rich, but that's the BBC for you......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Current typical processing times are on the Passport Office's site:
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... r-services

I think that "processing" only means what they do in-house and that "return" isn't included.

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:21pm Current typical processing times are on the Passport Office's site:
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... r-services

I think that "processing" only means what they do in-house and that "return" isn't included.

Jonathan
Thanks.
I fully realise that I am working on a sample size of 2, but my own experience is that end to end processing was less than half of the times quoted.
I wonder why such a marked difference occurs in what is a fairly straightforward clerical exercise?
The thing is, giving misleading information is a pita in whichever direction it misses in. It cost me a couple of months of validity by painting an inaccurate number. Hmmm...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I got caught out too. It was July 2020 at the peak of the problems from lockdowns, work from home, delays etc. Dire warnings of long passport delays.

I got mine back in 8 days. Others were still waiting months. Mine was a simple renewal, but processed in Glasgow, the most distant office to where I live.

Not only did I lose a few months renewing early but I then couldn't use for over a year. First stamp 1 year 3 months later. Probably won't need the extra pages I paid for.

No rhyme or reason and the trouble is knowing if yours will be a quickie or not.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Slightly off topic but driving licences are worse at the moment than passports. I’d definitely order a new passport sooner rather than later for this summer though.

My driving licence had to be sent to the DVLA due to an error decades ago with my first name. It was one letter out and is a common mistake with my name so I never got it changed. But that meant for my renewal I couldn’t do it online as my name didn’t match my passport. Sent it off on 1 October. Got it back yesterday. If we’d travelled as planned for Xmas I would have wanted it last Sunday for car hire.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Several people I know have been caught out by processing times, you need to be off your mark!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Is it time that this thread was removed as a sticky?

This thread, supposedly about EU Visas has encompassed EHIC, passports, driving licences and endless pages of discussion. I doubt it offers much useful info to anyone who wants to go to Europe even if they read all 27 pages. In fact there is now better info on EU entry in other threads currently ongoing.

I think we pretty much know what we need to get into the EU. This will change once ETIAS is introduced, but that will be a standard procedure for all of us. If deemed necessary a sticky on ETIAS could be created once it goes live, but I doubt it will be needed.

Any thoughts before I ask mods to de-sticky this.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nah the usual suspects broke another thread about Europe. Ask but no rush as the mods seem overloaded still.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 2:05pm
Yes, do it. It's just a rambling collection of thoughts, opinions, and facts (most of which are correct? dunno).

The author had good intentions, but probably had better things to do than follow through, so is in no way worth STICKY status:
Navrig wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 1:50am This thread is intended to be used as a source of good information and experience in relation to VISAs in the EU after the Brexit deals are concluded at the end of 2020.

Where possible I'll try to capture useful links on this top post so feel free to add your thoughts links and experience.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/
[my bold]
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

simonhill wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 2:05pm Is it time that this thread was removed as a sticky?

This thread, supposedly about EU Visas has encompassed EHIC, passports, driving licences and endless pages of discussion. I doubt it offers much useful info to anyone who wants to go to Europe even if they read all 27 pages. In fact there is now better info on EU entry in other threads currently ongoing.

I think we pretty much know what we need to get into the EU. This will change once ETIAS is introduced, but that will be a standard procedure for all of us. If deemed necessary a sticky on ETIAS could be created once it goes live, but I doubt it will be needed.

I think that ETIAS and EES info will be needed, one starts in September, one next year. So there'll be one more temporary transition, then the full implementation next year (followed by the UK version of EES)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Does anyone have experience of long term visa applications (6 months or more) and the health insurance costs associated?
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

simonhill wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 3:09pm Not only did I lose a few months renewing early but I then couldn't use for over a year. First stamp 1 year 3 months later. Probably won't need the extra pages I paid for.
Something at the back of my mind tells me that you may have to be wary in the last few months of your passports validity. Something about early renewals, and the last few months not counting as the 6 month validity you need for entering Europe.
pal

Post by pal »

Dingdong wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 7:39am Does anyone have experience of long term visa applications (6 months or more) and the health insurance costs associated?
I don't have experience myself, but there's a useful account here of someone getting a long-stay visa (based in France). The author is american, but the process (other than location of embassies, of course...) would now be the same for a UK person: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/ski ... art-i-dd4/
mjr

Post by mjr »

Steve X wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 7:59am Something at the back of my mind tells me that you may have to be wary in the last few months of your passports validity. Something about early renewals, and the last few months not counting as the 6 month validity you need for entering Europe.
Be wary. The above isn't exactly it, but it's better to look up the current requirements on government websites than trust forums.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Dingdong wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 7:39am Does anyone have experience of long term visa applications (6 months or more) and the health insurance costs associated?
There is no long term Schengen visa.

You can get individual country extension visas, but they only give you extra time in one country and not many countries issue them for tourist purposes. You also need to check as some confer residency and hence tax liabilities.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”