Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz wrote:A v quick glance at that thread, it's pleasantly not what I'd expected.

I suppose that was my subtext for posting (and it's representative of what happens when cycling and other vulnerable road users are brought up).

OTOH, that's a community of keen drivers, who perhaps put a little more thought into their driving than some others...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: .........OTOH, that's a community of keen drivers, who perhaps put a little more thought into their driving than some others...

And,like this forum,a very small slice of the whole cake.
TBH,as I've got older I've become a lot less brave than I used to be,as a result my road riding has become less and less enjoyable to such a point I avoid riding on the road unless I can help it,such is the lunacy of the growing minority of drivers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think the keen drivers point is valid. I often notice when passed by columns of souped up hot Subarus and the like, all spoilers and extra wide zorsts, that they are some of the most likely to give a really wide pass.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Syd wrote:https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/chat-mat-edinburgh-police-pull-19355316

Good start:

"The officers stopped several drivers for passing cyclists too closely - and four drivers were reported to the Procurator Fiscal"

but then the article goes on to explain that the four drivers were reported for document offences, nothing to do with their passing technique.
Syd

Post by Syd »

DaveReading wrote:
Syd wrote:https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/chat-mat-edinburgh-police-pull-19355316

Good start:

"The officers stopped several drivers for passing cyclists too closely - and four drivers were reported to the Procurator Fiscal"

but then the article goes on to explain that the four drivers were reported for document offences, nothing to do with their passing technique.

Yes, but a good start anyway.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:
DaveReading wrote:

Good start:

Yes, but a good start anyway.

Yes. The first milestone is to attract attention to the problem and to the available solutions. We're not going to achieve perfection in one magic step.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I think the keen drivers point is valid. I often notice when passed by columns of souped up hot Subarus and the like, all spoilers and extra wide zorsts, that they are some of the most likely to give a really wide pass.

I had a Subaru until very recently. It wasn't "souped up". It didn't need to be - 250 BHP, 3.0 litre flat 6 Boxer engine (like a Porsche). Floor that and it shifted, I can tell you. And smooth as silk, due the nature of 6 cylinder engines. I thought it would be expensive to insure. Not so. The broker told me that Subaru drivers actually have a low accident rate, generally. They are seen as a car for "serious" drivers, because they are so well engineered. So people buy them who take a pride in their driving. As opposed to the mob that think putting wide tyres on a Corsa and drilling holes in the exhaust somehow makes then Lewis Hamilton.
Syd

Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Post by Syd »

Edinburgh has also taken on board criticism of usual Beware of Cyclists signs and all are now modified as shown in the second image.

Image Image
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mikeymo wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I think the keen drivers point is valid. I often notice when passed by columns of souped up hot Subarus and the like, all spoilers and extra wide zorsts, that they are some of the most likely to give a really wide pass.

I had a Subaru until very recently. It wasn't "souped up". It didn't need to be - 250 BHP, 3.0 litre flat 6 Boxer engine (like a Porsche). Floor that and it shifted, I can tell you. And smooth as silk, due the nature of 6 cylinder engines. I thought it would be expensive to insure. Not so. The broker told me that Subaru drivers actually have a low accident rate, generally. They are seen as a car for "serious" drivers, because they are so well engineered. So people buy them who take a pride in their driving. As opposed to the mob that think putting wide tyres on a Corsa and drilling holes in the exhaust somehow makes then Lewis Hamilton.

Point of order.

The H6 is a flat 6 Boxer. The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote:The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer...

More, please... now if you'd said "917"...

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

In a nutshell "Boxer" engines have pistons fire such that they punch each other as they meet in the middle/head away from each other in exact mirror synchronisation, hence the nickname. Flat 6 pistons move in the same, not opposing directions.

Animations of each at bottom here:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ther ... 85305.html
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

On a boxer engine the opposing pistons move in or out together. On a flat engine they don't.
Boxers are more expensive to produce, the crankshaft is more complicated because each pair of cylinders can't share the crank pin.

<edit> beaten to it by bonefish.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

On a boxer engine the opposing pistons move in or out together. On a flat engine they don't.
Boxers are more expensive to produce, the crankshaft is more complicated because each pair of cylinders can't share the crank pin.

<edit> beaten to it by bonefish.

You're going to have to get one of those electric cars so you can get off the line more quickly :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:On a boxer engine the opposing pistons move in or out together. On a flat engine they don't.

I disagree about the taxonomy... the boxer is a type of flat engine. Another type is the 180° V.

kwackers wrote:Boxers are more expensive to produce, the crankshaft is more complicated because each pair of cylinders can't share the crank pin.

Yes, the key distinguisher between flat boxers and flat 180° Vs is the coaxial positioning of the big ends of the pistons in each position in the two banks.

440px-Moteurs_à_Plat_-_V_à_180°_vs._Boxer.png

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 2 Dec 2020, 2:59pm, edited 2 times in total.