Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Jdsk »

New customs checks on imports to the UK from countries of the EU starting on 1 January 2022.

It might be worth buying stuff now.

Jonathan

PS: IoD survey of preparedness:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cks-survey
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 8:02pm New customs checks on imports to the UK from countries of the EU starting on 1 January 2022.
That has nothing to do with personal imports. The grace period that's coming to an end meant an importer could do the declaration paperwork at a later date (90 days?) rather than have it ready at the point of import.
This was never an option for retail.

I'd have thought you'd get the gist of that from reading your own link.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:07pm
Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 8:02pm New customs checks on imports to the UK from countries of the EU starting on 1 January 2022.
That has nothing to do with personal imports. The grace period that's coming to an end meant an importer could do the declaration paperwork at a later date (90 days?) rather than have it ready at the point of import.
This was never an option for retail.

I'd have thought you'd get the gist of that from reading your own link.
Might it affect importers in the UK who then sell things to cyclists?

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:09pm Might it affect importers in the UK who then sell things to cyclists?
Thanks

Jonathan
I'm sure it'll effect any business importing, however well prepared they are they're likely to get stuck in the queue behind those that aren't. There was no grace period going the other way, the chaos subsided after a few weeks and it seems to be working OK now (Comparable with exporting to non EU countries, rather than pre Brexit EU) and importers have had an extra year to prepare, we'll see.

However, the subject of this thread is "buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)" I've pointed out this change has no relevance to that, your post gave the impression it had.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:22pm
Jdsk wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:09pm Might it affect importers in the UK who then sell things to cyclists?
I'm sure it'll effect any business importing, however well prepared they are they're likely to get stuck in the queue behind those that aren't.
Thanks.

That's why I thought it might be worth buying things now.

Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 8:33am The Bikester FAQs were updated in the middle of August:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/brexit-faqs.html

Jonathan
I ordered from Bikester in early October (£460), and from hollandbikeshop in late November (€18).

In both cases VAT was included in the price at the point of sale, and the goods turned up without any extra to pay and with no undue delay (not quick like a UK order, but IME a week has been about normal from Germany).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

andrew_s wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 5:48pm
Jdsk wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 8:33am The Bikester FAQs were updated in the middle of August:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/brexit-faqs.html
I ordered from Bikester in early October (£460), and from hollandbikeshop in late November (€18).

In both cases VAT was included in the price at the point of sale, and the goods turned up without any extra to pay and with no undue delay (not quick like a UK order, but IME a week has been about normal from Germany).
Thanks.

Let's keep sharing experiences, especially as the next change is imminent.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 10:46am
Thanks.

Let's keep sharing experiences, especially as the next change is imminent.

Jonathan
+1
Sweep
pga

Post by pga »

I ordered am item a few weeks ago from Bikester without being aware is was German. Luckily,it came ok although I was warned that customs could add 3 to 5 days on the delivery time. What does the new year hold?

I did not vote for Brexit.
PH

Post by PH »

BikeInn (Other ...Inns exist, Trekk..., Run..., Snow..., Dive... and loads more)
Based in Spain, though some orders are fulfilled direct from elsewhere. They get mixed reviews, even before Brexit, usual complaint is slow delivery, I think this is the forth time I've ordered from them, without problem, though I choose to use PayPal, so in the event of an issue getting a refund might be simpler.
This order - A pair of Schwalbe tyres, I know it seems excessive to buy German tyres from Spain, but I wanted to try the new Pick-it cargo tyres and no one else had stock.
Despatched within 24 hours, then had a four day rest in the Netherlands, then 48 hours to the UK arriving Christmas Eve, seven days in total, I'm happy with that.
Order value well under £135, but they're also handling the VAT on higher value orders.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PH wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 7:51pm BikeInn (Other ...Inns exist, Trekk..., Run..., Snow..., Dive... and loads more)
Order value well under £135, but they're also handling the VAT on higher value orders.
If they handle VAT at all (which they have to for small orders, or forego them and set a £135 minimum order), they will have the process in place for larger orders too, and not handling the VAT lands the customer with a £10-£12 charge from the carrier, which would be something of a marketing fail.
PH

Post by PH »

andrew_s wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 2:33am
PH wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 7:51pm BikeInn (Other ...Inns exist, Trekk..., Run..., Snow..., Dive... and loads more)
If they handle VAT at all (which they have to for small orders, or forego them and set a £135 minimum order), they will have the process in place for larger orders too, and not handling the VAT lands the customer with a £10-£12 charge from the carrier, which would be something of a marketing fail.
No, this isn't correct. it isn't the same process and some retailers choose to not handle the VAT on larger orders, Starbike in Germany is an example.
VAT on a consignment under £135 has to collected by the retailer before export, over that amount it becomes due after import.
There are third parties offering this service that make it seamless for the consumer, but the regulations are clear.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It looks as if HBS is shipping to the UK again but Rose still isn't. Goodness knows why Rose still keeps the .uk web address.
RickH

Post by RickH »

rogerzilla wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 8:42pm It looks as if HBS is shipping to the UK again but Rose still isn't. Goodness knows why Rose still keeps the .uk web address.
Bike24 claim(ed) to be shipping to the UK in general
bike24 top of page notice.png
but I still haven't found a single product listed that doesn't say
bike24 notice.png
& Great Britain is not listed in the shipping countries linked (nor is United Kingdom)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I looked at some Shimano bits on Bike24 and got the same message. I thought it was protectionism by Shimano, but obviously not.