Large Helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
iandusud

Large Helmets

Post by iandusud »

A member of my family who shall remain nameless has a head that is too big for any of the helmets we have tried so far. Can anyone recommend helmet brands that fit "larger" heads please.

Thanks, Ian
pete75

Re: Large Helmets

Post by pete75 »

Johnson is a big beaded bâtard so whatever brand this is

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of our PM I would hastily steer clear of any recommendation he might make!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Forum member drossall is your expert here.
drossall

Post by drossall »

:D :D :D

My head is 66cm, and to make it worse is longer and narrower than average (so a typical helmet shape may not fit even if nominally the correct size)*. Most manufacturers only make up to 62cm or sometimes 64cm. I'm considering seeking a prosecution under the Trades Descriptions Act of the next maker who claims to offer a "one-size-fits-all" product; I should have thought it would be an open-and-shut case, since it quite obviously doesn't.

My excellent LBS spent ten years (really!) looking for a helmet for me. I'd drop in for an inner tube or some brake blocks, and they'd look triumphant and offer me their latest find, and then look crestfallen when it proved to be yet another not-quite-big-enough one. They did finally succeed with a Bell Triton though. That was a decade or two ago, and it's far too precious actually to wear much, so it lives in a helmet case and comes out for things where helmets are required, and that I could not otherwise do (which basically means cycling with Scouts). It's also an insurance policy against cycling organisations (or governments!) that decide to make helmets mandatory and ban me by the back door.

The Triton is no longer made, but I did find this useful article. Given my comment on shape as well as size being a factor, I wouldn't buy anything without trying it first. What size do you actually need? Please do report back, because this topic comes up from time to time, so others may appreciate knowing what you found.

Edit: I've also just discovered the Bontrager Quantum MIPS. Curiously, Trek only list it up to 63cm, so I don't know whether they've dropped the large size from their range.

* It can run in families. Apparently, when my late father joined the Army for his National Service, they didn't have a beret in the stores large enough to fit.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

drossall wrote::D :D :D

My head is 66cm, and to make it worse is longer and narrower than average (so a typical helmet shape may not fit even if nominally the correct size)*. Most manufacturers only make up to 62cm or sometimes 64cm. I'm considering seeking a prosecution under the Trades Descriptions Act of the next maker who claims to offer a "one-size-fits-all" product; I should have thought it would be an open-and-shut case, since it quite obviously doesn't.

My excellent LBS spent ten years (really!) looking for a helmet for me. I'd drop in for an inner tube or some brake blocks, and they'd look triumphant and offer me their latest find, and then look crestfallen when it proved to be yet another not-quite-big-enough one. They did finally succeed with a Bell Triton though. That was a decade or two ago, and it's far too precious actually to wear much, so it lives in a helmet case and comes out for things where helmets are required, and that I could not otherwise do (which basically means cycling with Scouts). It's also an insurance policy against cycling organisations (or governments!) that decide to make helmets mandatory and ban me by the back door.

The Triton is no longer made, but I did find this useful article. Given my comment on shape as well as size being a factor, I wouldn't buy anything without trying it first. What size do you actually need? Please do report back, because this topic comes up from time to time, so others may appreciate knowing what you found.

Edit: I've also just discovered the Bontrager Quantum MIPS. Curiously, Trek only list it up to 63cm, so I don't know whether they've dropped the large size from their range.

* It can run in families. Apparently, when my late father joined the Army for his National Service, they didn't have a beret in the stores large enough to fit.

Thank you for your helpful reply. As you say shape of head is factor. I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and it is a well know phenomenon that heads, as well as coming in different sizes come in different shapes which are usually divided into two types, round and oval (oval being narrower side to side) and for this reason you are right to say that a helmet must be tried for fit.
The person in question (no names, no pack drill) measures up at 62cm, which on the face of it doesn't seem that big, being at the upper end of many available helmets, but experience has shown that whilst they can be made to fit they don't fit properly IMO. I suspect the problem is that they are at the limit of their adjustment but the shell is basically too small. Having done some research there are a number of helmets, notably Bell and Giro who make helmets designed for heads up to 65cm or more, but no one seems to stock them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BELL-Unisex-Ad ... 80%9365+cm)&qid=1597992605&sr=8-1-fkmr0&linkCode=sl1&tag=hdbuk0100-21&linkId=35eda7e187038ba286c48840a61c42ae&language=en_GB
Anyway I'll keep looking and report back.

Ian
drossall

Post by drossall »

The Bontrager link I gave was to a stockist who appeared to have the larger size. I know nothing more about that brand of helmet, so not necessarily a recommendation. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

drossall wrote:The Bontrager link I gave was to a stockist who appeared to have the larger size. I know nothing more about that brand of helmet, so not necessarily a recommendation. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Thanks, I've had a look at that link. At a push I might give them a try but unless there's a free returns policy it could become an expensive business trying helmets via mail order. (Not that I think retailers should be expected to pay returned postage for goods).
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

iandusud wrote:At a push I might give them a try but unless there's a free returns policy it could become an expensive business trying helmets via mail order. (Not that I think retailers should be expected to pay returned postage for goods).

If you have a Paypal account and pay by that means, you can take advantage of 12 x paid for returns on Paypal per year. Go to the transaction, click return this item (or some such), package the item, take a photo of the address label, send it back via PO including insurance to cover the goods ( I always use signed for too), photo the PO receipt. Then upload the photos to Paypal and they will refund the return postage.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Hexr.
Scans your head and you have a made to measure one. Interchangeable lids . Solved the problem for my son, better than sculpting the back end of the largest helmets available. Also the weight isn’t felt as the fit is perfect.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

deliquium wrote:
iandusud wrote:At a push I might give them a try but unless there's a free returns policy it could become an expensive business trying helmets via mail order. (Not that I think retailers should be expected to pay returned postage for goods).

If you have a Paypal account and pay by that means, you can take advantage of 12 x paid for returns on Paypal per year. Go to the transaction, click return this item (or some such), package the item, take a photo of the address label, send it back via PO including insurance to cover the goods ( I always use signed for too), photo the PO receipt. Then upload the photos to Paypal and they will refund the return postage.

I was unaware of that. Thank you for pointing it out.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

KM2 wrote:Hexr.
Scans your head and you have a made to measure one. Interchangeable lids . Solved the problem for my son, better than sculpting the back end of the largest helmets available. Also the weight isn’t felt as the fit is perfect.

I've not come across Hexr. An interesting, if not cheap, option.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I look at the price of some helmets and I think, nah, Planet X, on a good day £12, and I’ve got enough for a decent(reasonable) set of wheels. But I don’t have the head size that needs catering for.
drossall

Post by drossall »

My cycling club once offered to hold me upside down in a vat of molten polystyrene. I have not yet taken them up on this, but it could be an alternative to Hexr.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout helmets made for other purposes? I imagine many firefighters and divers are big people with big heads
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies