Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Jdsk

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 1:39pm I don't think SNP leadership really want independence. What will that get them? Their whole reason for existing will have been achieved and they might have to start looking around for another battle with a group a lot of Scots can hate as much as England and Westminster.
Perhaps the SNP leadership and many of their supporters simply think that independence would be better for their country.

Beyond that they're a social democratic party with policies rather similar to many others.

Jonathan
Dingdong

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Dingdong »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 7:42pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 1:39pm I don't think SNP leadership really want independence. What will that get them? Their whole reason for existing will have been achieved and they might have to start looking around for another battle with a group a lot of Scots can hate as much as England and Westminster.
Perhaps the SNP leadership and many of their supporters simply think that independence would be better for their country.

Beyond that they're a social democratic party with policies rather similar to many others.

Jonathan
I've heard several times now, from reliable sources North of the border that if the YES vote is successful, the SNP will disband (having achieved their primary objective) and open a new era of politics with the many emerging parties which have been brewing in Scotland over the past few years, in anticipation of this very thing. Radical political ideologies have always been part of the Scottish psyche.

Personally I think it would great to see an independent Scotland lead Europe in a new governmental system, because let's face it the one we have in England at the moment is utterly broken.
Lord knows what the Scots must think when they open the newspapers or turn on the telly. Perhaps the Scots on here can tell us? We may not like what they have to say.

Perhaps the break up of the UK will have positive benefits all round? I wouldn't criticise the Scots at all, it's Westminster politics that will be to blame for the dissolution of Britain, and in particular the corruption and underhand dirty politics of late. We've got no one to blame but ourselves, for voting in such a pile of political excrement.

Go Sturgeon!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Are you using England as interchangeable with United Kingdom? It's just that England doesn't have its own governmental system it only has the UK one which is at least partly owned by Scottish and Welsh electorate too.

I wonder if you can get any reliable assumptions from the way some Scots or more specifically independence wanting Scots talk about Westminster as English not UK?

As a spectator to the Scottish independence arguments I find little Scotlander attitudes as dodgy as little Englander attitudes during Brexit campaign. More than a little pitiful to define yourself in any part by a hatred of others. Not saying anyone on here is like that but it's certainly more common since independence became higher agenda all those years ago.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Tangled Metal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 6:42am As a spectator to the Scottish independence arguments I find little Scotlander attitudes as dodgy as little Englander attitudes during Brexit campaign.
From north of the border that is how I find it too.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A number of people I know who say they voted against Scottish independence in previous referendums are now saying that they will vote for it, solely because they wish to rejoin the EU.

I don't know if this attitude is representative.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Vorpal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 8:31am A number of people I know who say they voted against Scottish independence in previous referendums are now saying that they will vote for it, solely because they wish to rejoin the EU.

I've not met one of those yet and I live here - Boris is the biggest danger.

This is the SNP's best opportunity, we have a really good respected leader in Sturgeon and a well hated dreadful one in Boris. But neither of these leaders will be about in 10 years time.

If we had someone with the political skills and integrity of Nicola as prime minister of the UK the YES vote would collapse.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 8:43am
Vorpal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 8:31am A number of people I know who say they voted against Scottish independence in previous referendums are now saying that they will vote for it, solely because they wish to rejoin the EU.

I've not met one of those yet and I live here - Boris is the biggest danger.
Is that not primarily because of the way Brexit is being mishandled(deliberately IMO)?
If we had someone with the political skills and integrity of Nicola as prime minister of the UK the YES vote would collapse.
Quite probably but then Scotland wouldn't be treated in the way it currently is by Westminster,Brexit and the Tories are ruining this country,Sturgeon is swimming(sorry) against the tide with the Tories and has been for a decade or more from what I can see.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Looking at this down the other end of the spyglass, or at least from a viewpoint in West Yorkshire, what have we in England to worry about in this regard?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think it is. I know similar people and I also know a couple of businesses who did vote for Brexit and now regret it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Pebble wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 8:04am
Tangled Metal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 6:42am As a spectator to the Scottish independence arguments I find little Scotlander attitudes as dodgy as little Englander attitudes during Brexit campaign.
From north of the border that is how I find it too.
But you must be English reading English news and watching English media to have that view! 🤔;)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS having moved into a house with a satellite dish and getting the box and later TV to deal with the signal I'm now a keen viewer of BBC Scotland news and current affairs programmes. Always a refreshing pov, but does it class as a good source of information on independence matters with the pro lobby on here? Just so I know whether I'm getting approved current affairs and news information suitable for the SNP and followers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 1:31pm PS having moved into a house with a satellite dish and getting the box and later TV to deal with the signal I'm now a keen viewer of BBC Scotland news and current affairs programmes. Always a refreshing pov, but does it class as a good source of information on independence matters with the pro lobby on here? Just so I know whether I'm getting approved current affairs and news information suitable for the SNP and followers.
Absolutely not BBC Scotland are far from impartial don’t they get their funding from Westminster? . Glenn Campbell is pro unionist and always unable to hide it. Everything that comes out of the colonial quayside is always dominated with SNP bad. I rarely watch but glad that you do. Take note of the type of questions and manner of questions when interviewing the FM. Keep that in mind and now watch Glen interviewing a senior Scot Tory.

E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mostly watch the current affairs with talking heads. They mostly speak like a Scottish Owen Jones. Often pro Scottish independence.

Which Scottish rag is the right Scottish news outlet then?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 4:18pm Mostly watch the current affairs with talking heads. They mostly speak like a Scottish Owen Jones. Often pro Scottish independence.

No idea it must be easily 15 years since I’ve bought a newspaper other than the local weekly squeak. I only buy that because I can complete the cryptic crossword in it. :D

Edit Mrs P reminds me it’s more like 20 years and we used to buy the Times.

E2E info
toontra

Post by toontra »

Tangled Metal wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 4:18pm Mostly watch the current affairs with talking heads. They mostly speak like a Scottish Owen Jones. Often pro Scottish independence.

I'd avoid The National if you're of a nervous disposition. It's a Pravda-esque rag that filters almost every story through the pro-independence prism.

My considered opinion as an expat Scot who returns often is the SNP should concentrate on running the country using their devolved powers for a good few years so they can be judged on their competence to run things (you know, the little things like education) and focus a lot less on their swivel-eyed nationalist ideologies.