Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

thirdcrank

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by thirdcrank »

It's good to hear that things are going well and you have my best wishes for that to continue.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

saudidave wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:47am 3 months after my initial email to the urology department of my local hospital and following the intervention by my daughter, an NHS employee, via her NHS email, I've finally had a response from a consultant. My P.S.A. level had fallen from 10.7 on the day of my prostatectomy in March 2021 to less than 0.01 in December 2021 but had risen back up to 0.02, 6 months later, causing concern on my part that the cancer may be returning. The response was that very minor fluctuations in P.S.A. like I've had are quite common and are of no concern. Concern and potential further treatment would only arise if the level rose back up to between 0.1 & 0.2. Note that's 10 times higher, it's easy to misread 0.01 & 0.1! Since I had no knowledge about the parameters of all that I was obviously a little unsettled by the rise, albeit a tiny one and whist I appreciate the pressures the NHS is under I think it's scandalous that it should take 2 emails, 3 phone messages and intervention by another party before I got a review date and a letter to clarify my prognosis.
I've now had another PSA test & it has now stabilised at 0.02, which I consider to be fantastic news. I was pretty chilled before, now I am completely so. My continence, whilst not absolutely 100% perfect is now very acceptable and if there is no alcohol involved I don't need any form of incontinence pad, which is a blessing in heatwaves! I couldn't be more pleased and look foreward to another couple of decades on the planet.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That sounds much better. Thanks for the update.

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:47am

I've now had another PSA test & it has now stabilised at 0.02, which I consider to be fantastic news. I was pretty chilled before, now I am completely so. My continence, whilst not absolutely 100% perfect is now very acceptable and if there is no alcohol involved I don't need any form of incontinence pad, which is a blessing in heatwaves! I couldn't be more pleased and look foreward to another couple of decades on the planet.
That is very good news. May your future be C free.
I am currently awaiting results of my latest PSA test, due Mon or Tues. I can only hope I share your good fortune (although I have nil expectations of one more decade, never mind two!).
I have no doubt that you will make the very most of the reprieve - go to it!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Fantastic news Dave great to hear about being dry too, urine wise I mean .. we can live without alcohol.
I am here. Where are you?
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Many thanks to all for the well wishes & good luck to all who are struggling with cancer in any form.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

I am interested in this thread as I have suspected PC with a biopsy appointment on Sunday. I casually asked my GP for a PSA test when in the surgery on a relatively trivial issue. Two blood tests followed with readings between 6 and 8. I was referred to urology at the local hospital. Prior to my appointment I had a MRI scan. On the day of the appointment a physical DRE test found nothing unusual other than a ‘slightly’ enlarged prostrate. However the scan results which came later in the day after my appointment found lesions though one was described as ‘equivocal’ and I was placed in the likely category 4. The MRI scan did not find any evidence of cancer outside of the prostrate. So now I await the biopsy and then a further wait for the results.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

My sympathy. Sounds like that at least caught it early - that and if entirely within the prostate give best prospects for successful treatment.
You may have some difficult decisions
- do plenty of research, "expert patients" have better outcomes.
Good luck.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

My ERT was nearly 18 mths ago. At 12 mths PSA was 0.04, last week 0.03. Apparently decline can be more gradual, up to 2 years, with ERT than surgery. I am more than pleased with latest figure and the 3 mthly follow up injections have another 18-24 mths to go.
Richard123

Post by Richard123 »

I had my prostrate removed just 5 years ago, and I suffer quite badly with bladder weakness. However, I've brought a bike this week, and will try to get fit on it in the coming months. I've tried all the exercise as you mentioned but its not helped at all, my cancer was very progressive, so they took a lot away, including all the nerves. We will see how it goes, cycling may help my condition, but I'll wear pads or pants. Its very humiliating to be honest, but at least I get another go, the other option was worse? :shock:
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

@Richard123, all you can do is try!
Sounds like a hard 5 years, may 2023 be better.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Richard123: I hope that you can enjoy some riding in 2023.

Do you have someone to talk to about the pads and the hassle?

Jonathan
David2504

Post by David2504 »

David2504 wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 6:00pm I am interested in this thread as I have suspected PC with a biopsy appointment on Sunday. I casually asked my GP for a PSA test when in the surgery on a relatively trivial issue. Two blood tests followed with readings between 6 and 8. I was referred to urology at the local hospital. Prior to my appointment I had a MRI scan. On the day of the appointment a physical DRE test found nothing unusual other than a ‘slightly’ enlarged prostrate. However the scan results which came later in the day after my appointment found lesions though one was described as ‘equivocal’ and I was placed in the likely category 4. The MRI scan did not find any evidence of cancer outside of the prostrate. So now I await the biopsy and then a further wait for the results.
Despite the radiologist reaching a provisional conclusion of Stage 2C cancer PIRADS level 4 (likely), a biopsy of 22 samples found no evidence of malignancy. It did however find evidence of inflammation, the cause of which given the absence of any discernible physical symptoms is unknown, The consultant told me that the inflammation should clear up by itself. He also added that when lesions are ‘scattered’ within the prostrate it’s difficult for a scan to distinguish between inflammation and cancer. So no treatment for me but ongoing monitoring of PSA levels.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

David2504 wrote: 5 Jan 2023, 8:37pm
David2504 wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 6:00pm I am interested in this thread as I have suspected PC with a biopsy appointment on Sunday. I casually asked my GP for a PSA test when in the surgery on a relatively trivial issue. Two blood tests followed with readings between 6 and 8. I was referred to urology at the local hospital. Prior to my appointment I had a MRI scan. On the day of the appointment a physical DRE test found nothing unusual other than a ‘slightly’ enlarged prostrate. However the scan results which came later in the day after my appointment found lesions though one was described as ‘equivocal’ and I was placed in the likely category 4. The MRI scan did not find any evidence of cancer outside of the prostrate. So now I await the biopsy and then a further wait for the results.
Despite the radiologist reaching a provisional conclusion of Stage 2C cancer PIRADS level 4 (likely), a biopsy of 22 samples found no evidence of malignancy. It did however find evidence of inflammation, the cause of which given the absence of any discernible physical symptoms is unknown, The consultant told me that the inflammation should clear up by itself. He also added that when lesions are ‘scattered’ within the prostrate it’s difficult for a scan to distinguish between inflammation and cancer. So no treatment for me but ongoing monitoring of PSA levels.
A good outcome then! Biopsy outranks MRI. Watch and wait.....
Kim L

Post by Kim L »

Hi,
I see that it has been some time since we have been spoken about the best saddle to use after a prosteta operation ( In mine case it was done by the Davinci Method)
I have had my operation for 9 weeks ago and I must ride my bikes again in ca. 4 weeks (that is our “rules/suggestions from the Hospital.
I am looking at the Sella Nymber and the SQLab612.

Can you please tell me your experience and let me know if you see some good alternatives 😉

Thanks
Kim