Dame Cressida Rose Dick (What do we know)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Dame Cressida Rose Dick (What do we know)

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 7:40pm One trigger for her departure is the reluctance to do a fuller forensic investigation into "Partygate".
Who has said this?

Do any of us know the reason beyond what the Mayor has said?

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 7:40pm One trigger for her departure is the reluctance to do a fuller forensic investigation into "Partygate".Her Boss is the Labour mayor.Just suppose it had been a Conservative London mayor. Might she have survived? This highlights the problem of mixing politics with functioning government officials.Oil and water.....
I've not seen that reported. Do you have a source.
briansnail wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 7:40pm ....
Much of her apparent deficiencies lie outside Cressida's control.One cannot be expected to take the heat for loose cannon who explode despite the best of precautionary measures.Its to easy to point fingers.Harder to point out what she should have done differently.
It was not a matter of her control. She was asked to come-up with a viable plan to address the many issues - something that should have been done anyway and some time ago. The problem was that her plan was seen as inadequate so it then quite reasonably becomes necessary to get somebody else in who can come-up with a plan because the many issues cannot be left unaddressed.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This evening's telly news (AKA media speculation) has included the suggestions that
  • CD resigned in response to something from Sadiq Khan
  • CD's resignation surprised the Home Office. (Clive Myrie used the expression blind-sided.)
For anybody who's missed it, Sadiq Khan is a Labour politician whose budget has been mercilessly squeezed by this Tory government. He may have a lot to gain from a robust investigation into Partygate. "Just saying."
===============================================================
Home Office sources said they were "astounded" that Mr Khan's previous comment that Dame Cressida had "days and weeks" to sort out the Met turned into "less than 48 hours".

Dame Cressida is thought to have offered her resignation after declining to meet Mr Khan to discuss her plans for reforming the Met - but the BBC understands he did not inform Priti Patel about the meeting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-60345334
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

CD clearly did resign due to the actions of SK. See this video and BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-60341675

Policing should be independent of politics.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:31pm CD clearly did resign due to the actions of SK. See this video and BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-60341675

The Commissioner is accountable to the Mayor.

To whom do you think that she should be accountable?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

(Thinks) I wonder if she will get a mega pay out for loss of office and/or constructive dismissal.

All beyond my knowledge but I do seem to see a lot of reports involving megabucks when politicians oust appointed officials. (Rotten boroughs in Private Eye seems a good source for examples.)
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

She's gone. Rest in peace, as best she can, wherever her conscience burns.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Carlton green wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:31pm CD clearly did resign due to the actions of SK. See this video and BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-60341675

The Commissioners position (irrespective of politics) is dependent on the support and confidence of the mayor of London. That's the gig with all these Mayorships throughout the UK. Once that is lost, or rescinded, then there's no option but to resign. Its what you voted for (if you voted tory in the previous election)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Slowtwitch wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 2:58pm She's gone.
She hasn't. She has said that she will.

And replacing her won't be easy. That might mean that she stays in post for rather longer than is either expected or desirable. Or that there might be an interim appointment.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 2:32pm (Thinks) I wonder if she will get a mega pay out for loss of office and/or constructive dismissal.

All beyond my knowledge but I do seem to see a lot of reports involving megabucks when politicians oust appointed officials. (Rotten boroughs in Private Eye seems a good source for examples.)
She submitted her resignation so to my mind no "loss of office" or "constructive dismissal". She could go to an industrial tribunal(?) to get such a ruling but as things stand she resigned of her own free will.

She was asked to come up with a viable plan o quickly address the many issues she'd allowed to fester. She never came up with any plan (or never presented it) and when asked for it she resigned instead.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:43pm

Thanks

Jonathan
That’s an interesting question that I’d meant to respond to earlier. Who are other Police Forces accountable to and who are the Courts accountable to? I don’t see that London should be a special case and I’m really not certain what particular value the Mayor adds.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:27pm

That’s an interesting question that I’d meant to respond to earlier. Who are other Police Forces accountable to and who are the Courts accountable to? I don’t see that London should be a special case and I’m really not certain what particular value the Mayor adds.
Sticking to the police rather than the courts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enfor ... untability

The accountability of the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police is different from that anywhere else in England.

If the national and local responsibilities of the MPS were separated this would be much easier.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I honestly don’t see what value Mayors add with respect to Police Forces and believe that they should all be accountable to the Home Office (or similar if the power is devolved at home nation level) .
https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... do/powers/

Perhaps it’s all politics, but in the fall-out from such things real people, the man and women in the street, end up not being as well served by the Constabulary. Corruption happens in high places too, IIRC the Mayor of Liverpool got into a bit of bother.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:31pm
Carlton green wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:27pm

Sticking to the police rather than the courts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enfor ... untability

The accountability of the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police is different from that anywhere else in England.

If the national and local responsibilities of the MPS were separated this would be much easier. (My bold)

Jonathan
This is one of the first, if not the first signs I've seen across the several Cressida threads that anybody sees that change is going to be needed, but I think it will need to go a lot further than eg hiving off things like royal and diplomatic protection to the National Crime Agency.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:44pm I honestly don’t see what value Mayors add with respect to Police Forces and believe that they should all be accountable to the Home Office (or similar if the power is devolved at home nation level) .
https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... do/powers/
Power in the UK is generally far too centralised. And the Home Secretary in particular has far too many powers with far too little accountability.

We'll eventually get some information on sizes from the changes in policing in Scotland.

Jonathan