How oh how do you get a lockring off?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
doffcocker

How oh how do you get a lockring off?

Post by doffcocker »

Hi all,

Following on from my issues with my new chain, I invested in a new cassette and all kinds of tools to get the old one removed, but after a hellish night yesterday trying to the old one off, as I sit here with sore palms I'm still no closer to getting the job done.

Admittedly I thought I'd try and get this done on the cheap, i.e. I found a very affordable chain whip and lockring set on Amazon and assumed it would do the job. And here is the little stinker:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

I should stress that on the fourth picture down on the ad the spanner depicted isn't included. I did however manage to dig out an old one of my own that I was able to attach the lockring to (picture included) but even that didn't work. As you might be able to see also, the chainwhip has even started to bend under the pressure.

I have no problem at all investing in a proper set of tools (all recommendations welcome preferably Amazon Prime or Halfords) if it's bound to get the job done, I'm just feeling a little hopeless today, almost like this thing is literally attached by molten steel and is never meant to come off.
Attachments
11111111.jpg
111111111111.jpg
1121112.jpg
tatanab

Re: How oh how do you get a lockring off?

Post by tatanab »

Your current alignment of tools is wrong. Reverse the direction of the chain wrench and remember that the lockring has a conventional right hand thread.

added link https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/pro ... a-cassette
Last edited by tatanab on 21 Jan 2021, 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Chain whip the other way. Then you can push down on that and the spanner in opposite directions. In rest the wheel against my shins , sprockets out.Or rest it on a box first .
Beaten to it
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Sorry I actually just quickly placed the tools on the cassette in any which direction for the purpose of getting a picture of everything together.

I have actually been going off the method you both describe from the beginning.

Cheers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You've got the right tools the right way round and they're engaging nicely? Next up is a good soak in penetrating fluid (not ordinary WD-40).

Jonathan
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Jdsk wrote:You've got the right tools the right way round and they're engaging nicely? Next up is a good soak in penetrating fluid (not ordinary WD-40).

Jonathan

I have GT85, is that suitable? And by soak, do you mean I just apply copious amounts direct to the lockring area?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

doffcocker wrote:
Jdsk wrote:You've got the right tools the right way round and they're engaging nicely? Next up is a good soak in penetrating fluid (not ordinary WD-40).

I have GT85, is that suitable? And by soak, do you mean I just apply copious amounts direct to the lockring area?

I'd use a penetrating fluid such as PlusGas, not a general purpose lubricant.

Yes, lots all over it, and then leave it to soak in.

Jonathan
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Jdsk wrote:I'd use a penetrating fluid such as PlusGas, not a general purpose lubricant.

Cheers. Is that something you can get in stores that are currently open like supermarkets or Halfords?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Normally when I take a cassette off (which is not very often these days) I tend to re-grease and service the hub at the same time. I have found that a kettle full of boiling water poured on the offending article works wonders. Obviously if you do not intend to rebuild the bearings this may be problematical.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, there are lots of more aggressive methods...

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Unlike a freewheel, your lockring won't get tighter with the act of riding. Whoever tightened it up must have exerted a lot of force if you cannot get it off with that amount of leverage. Only a diffident suggestion, but is it possible that at some stage you were tugging in the wrong direction ie tightening it up with a lot of leverage + frustration?
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Sometimes you need a bit of shock and aw treatment.
Put the tools on the correct way round/handles horizontal on opposite sides so you need to push both handles down to loosen the lock ring.
Now push down lightly, wrap some of your finger(s) around spokes adjacent to the tool handles - your fingers on spokes will help prevent tool/handles dislodging, and the also allow you to...
... pick the wheel up while keeping a light (lock ring loosening) tension on the tool hadles, thump the wheel down hard on the floor. This will give you a shock loading on the tools/lock ring.
That said, your chain whip looks modestly priced, so it might bend, or a chain whip plate might burst off its pin* (I've done both!).
Application of penetratng oil might help, though with chain oiling, it is unlikely to be corroded.
If all else fails, assuming you have another lock ring, grind the end of the lock ring off, this usually releases the tension on the thread, and the remainder easily unscrews.

*If a chain plate comes off the end of a chain pin, it is usually the one at the tool handle fixing. If you have some old 1/8" chain, with some faffery/a chain tool/light use of a hammer/sqidging of a vice and careful alighnment, you can get a 1/8" pin into the chain whip handle/chain. There will be enough protrudung pin to stop the plate coming off the end.
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

thirdcrank wrote:Unlike a freewheel, your lockring won't get tighter with the act of riding. Whoever tightened it up must have exerted a lot of force if you cannot get it off with that amount of leverage. Only a diffident suggestion, but is it possible that at some stage you were tugging in the wrong direction ie tightening it up with a lot of leverage + frustration?

I'm quite sure I have been doing it in the right direction from the beginning.

The bike is actually only 8 months old so the current lockring was screwed on by the manufacturer.
Last edited by doffcocker on 21 Jan 2021, 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Jdsk wrote:Yes.

Jonathan

I'm struggling to find the stuff you mentioned on Halfords, is this the sort of thing I should be looking for though?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... 66317.html

(I don't mind paying more if there's a decent chance of it being effective.