Parts from the UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Parts from the UK

Post by Jdsk »

The consumers hadn't crossed my mind. I was thinking of the lost exports and the lost employment.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 12:09pm The consumers hadn't crossed my mind. I was thinking of the lost exports and the lost employment.

Jonathan
Quite, you can make a joke of it but whilst big companies like Airbus seem to be able to continue as before many smaller ones have decided to stop exporting.
Added up this must effect the UK's exports. Death by a thousand cuts can't be the plan.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 7:49am .....Death by a thousand cuts can't be the plan.
You mean there is a plan? Don't look like that from where I'm sitting.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 7:49am
Jdsk wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 12:09pm The consumers hadn't crossed my mind. I was thinking of the lost exports and the lost employment.
Quite, you can make a joke of it but whilst big companies like Airbus seem to be able to continue as before many smaller ones have decided to stop exporting.
Added up this must effect the UK's exports.
Cause and effect is always difficult in the economics of the real world. And of course the outbreak is a confounder. But that has also affected similar countries and in this case the available data already show the effects on Great Britain of the decision to increase trade barriers. (And I do mean Great Britain rather than the United Kingdom... )

Anyone seen any more effects on export of bikes and bike parts?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 10:49am
francovendee wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 7:49am
Added up this must effect the UK's exports.
Cause and effect is always difficult in the economics of the real world. And of course the outbreak is a confounder. But that has also affected similar countries and in this case the available data already show the effects on Great Britain of the decision to increase trade barriers. (And I do mean Great Britain rather than the United Kingdom... )
And the new figures for trade in food and drink are just as feared:
https://www.fdf.org.uk/fdf/news-media/p ... u-markets/

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Of most concern is whether exports to non EU countries will ever make up the loss to EU countries. One, two ten years or never?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 9:27am Of most concern is whether exports to non EU countries will ever make up the loss to EU countries. One, two ten years or never?
There's a pedantic point about whether that means in past or future value.

But apart from that I think that the answer is "Probably not until soon after the UK (or what's left of it) Rejoins the single market and customs union".

NB we're not yet implementing all of the barriers agreed in the TCA.

Jonathan

Screenshot 2021-09-05 at 14.23.05.png
https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustry ... 2017-02-21
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 10:49am
Anyone seen any more effects on export of bikes and bike parts?

Jonathan
While in Italy, I had the B screw hole in the derailluer snap/break on my MTB, where the B screw went through the RD before setting against the hanger, i only had a semi circle rather than the full circle. needed a replacement SRAM 10s RD.

Tried 3 proper bike shops + a Decathlon. Nothing. shortage of parts apparently 'likely be 3-4 weeks could be longer'.

so not just a UK shortage.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 2:26pm
francovendee wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 9:27am Of most concern is whether exports to non EU countries will ever make up the loss to EU countries. One, two ten years or never?
... I think that the answer is "Probably not until soon after the UK (or what's left of it) Rejoins the single market and customs union".

NB we're not yet implementing all of the barriers agreed in the TCA.
Latest trade figures:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/national ... preadsheet

"UK trade with EU falls sharply as Brexit and Covid drive down exports":
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... wn-exports

“The UK’s loss of importance in foreign trade is the logical consequence of Brexit. These are probably lasting effects,” said Gabriel Felbermayr, the president of the Kiel-based Institute for the World Economy .

Ana Boata, the head of macroeconomic research at the trade credit insurer Euler Hermes, said: “UK exporters are losing their competitive advantage.”
She also cited the decline in financial services, which were not covered by the Brexit trade deal, as a contributing factor.
“Since its peak in 2017, financial services – the UK’s biggest exporting sector – has steadily lost its market share.
“The UK is the only one of the 10 biggest countries to see this happen, with Brexit exacerbating the decline.”

Jonathan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Since it was launched I've been wanting Sram Rival AXS, the new cheaper eTap groupset. Everywhere I looked was showing long delivery times and I was messaging one of the staff at Zyro, the importers via social media, who was saying deliveries coming in weren't enough to fulfil retail orders.
This week, however, by going to three different retailers I have managed to get hold of a complete groupset, albeit without the rotors as I'll use my current rotors. All stock came from UK retailers apart from the chainset which came from Holland 48 hours after ordering it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Redvee wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 1:26amAll stock came from UK retailers apart from the chainset which came from Holland 48 hours after ordering it.
Where are you, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 8:02am
Redvee wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 1:26amAll stock came from UK retailers apart from the chainset which came from Holland 48 hours after ordering it.
Where are you, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cider country, Bristol.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Redvee wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:54am
Jdsk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 8:02am
Where are you, please?
Cider country, Bristol.
Thanks.

I was only asking about the country! : - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

J D Sports moving warehousing, supply and online business back into the EU:

Jonathan
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Farage, Banks and the ERG should be in prison.