Parts from the UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
UpWrong

Re: Parts from the UK

Post by UpWrong »

Spa are selling to the EU again so must have registered to collect VAT for the EU I guess.
PH

Post by PH »

UpWrong wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 7:10am Spa are selling to the EU again so must have registered to collect VAT for the EU I guess.
That's interesting, do you know if they're dealing with the VAT on all orders to the EU?
The EU system for collecting VAT at POS (IOSS) is only applicable to orders up to 150 Euro
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/ioss_en

Some retailers are using this system for goods up to that value with the VAT paid, orders over that value are being sent without VAT for it to be paid by the recipient, The Cycle Clinic is an example
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/eu-shipping
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 10:06am
UpWrong wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 7:10am Spa are selling to the EU again so must have registered to collect VAT for the EU I guess.
That's interesting, do you know if they're dealing with the VAT on all orders to the EU?
The EU system for collecting VAT at POS (IOSS) is only applicable to orders up to 150 Euro
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/ioss_en
I can't see anything beyond:

All prices quoted on this website include VAT at the UK rate of 20%
and
Please email us if you would like a quote for international shipping
https://spacycles.co.uk/terms.php

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Where is UpWrong based? It's possible you see something different if accessing the site from outside the UK – though admittedly that does seem a bit advanced for Spa's website!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:38am Where is UpWrong based? It's possible you see something different if accessing the site from outside the UK – though admittedly that does seem a bit advanced for Spa's website!
:)
Sweep
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:05am I can't see anything beyond:

All prices quoted on this website include VAT at the UK rate of 20%
and
Please email us if you would like a quote for international shipping
https://spacycles.co.uk/terms.php

Jonathan
It was in a red banner, but the line has now vanished. Oh well, wait and see I guess. I'm UK based but was waiting on an order, noticed the banner and thought they might be even busier as a result.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry if that read as if I was doubting it. It wasn't meant that way.

I was adding that I couldn't see any more detail on the VAT.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 9:21am
cc1085 wrote:In Ireland and got great service from the UK for many years
Thom
I suggest you get parts from wherever seems easiest for a few months, then look at it again when things have bedded in and people have worked out how to operate in this new situation.
As someone else has already pointed out it'll be too late for many retailers by then,already many once thriving small businesses have been crippled by Brexit,the s**tshow continues.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 8:12am
cc1085 wrote:In Ireland and got great service from the UK for many years
Thom
I suggest you get parts from wherever seems easiest for a few months, then look at it again when things have bedded in and people have worked out how to operate in this new situation.
As someone else has already pointed out it'll be too late for many retailers by then,already many once thriving small businesses have been crippled by Brexit,the s**tshow continues.....
For that to be the case, those businesses must be very heavily reliant on exporting items, rather than selling domestically. And they must also be for some reason unable to benefit from customers in the same country not being able to buy abroad as easily just now. Because you would expect the home trade to grow at a time when goods crossing borders is problematic. The net effect, I would have thought, would be a muting of any trading difficulties during the adjustment period. A bigger problem for businesses selling bike stuff will be the global shortage of goods.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Until the world shortage of bike parts is a thing of the past then there isn't a clear idea of how exports from the UK will be effected.
I waited nearly 3 months for a set of tyres. Bought in Germany to ship to France.
How much Brexit will be the cause isn't yet clear.
Perhaps a better indicator would be products that have no supply problems and produced in the UK.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:31am For that to be the case, those businesses must be very heavily reliant on exporting items, rather than selling domestically. And they must also be for some reason unable to benefit from customers in the same country not being able to buy abroad as easily just now. Because you would expect the home trade to grow at a time when goods crossing borders is problematic. The net effect, I would have thought, would be a muting of any trading difficulties during the adjustment period. A bigger problem for businesses selling bike stuff will be the global shortage of goods.
The country voted to leave the EU in 2016 since then AFAICS the government have done very little to help UK companies adjust to the situation and whilst I agree there is a shortage of goods world wide due to the pandemic the UK government's attitude toward the EU has made matters even worse for UK based companies who im/export,and many do in a global market place,more importantly for many,the EU market is very difficult for them to now deal with and that's not just bike retailers.
As I said it's a s**tshow for UK retailers across the board.

Sooner or later people are going to have to admit that leaving the EU has been a huge mistaken on the UK's part and made worse by the clownatic in chief and his merry pocketfilling men....

EDITED for Typos
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2022, 6:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 8:01amHow much Brexit will be the cause isn't yet clear.
Perhaps a better indicator would be products that have no supply problems and produced in the UK.
I don't expect to ever see solid data on that for bike parts. But there'll be some views from those in the trade.

(In theory the data could be available from comparisons between GB and NI but the NI volumes will be low.)

On the wider effects on trade we already have the data. Trade barriers decrease trade, just as predicted. And it is possible to peel off the effects of the outbreak from those of the additional trade barriers.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pwa wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:31am
For that to be the case, those businesses must be very heavily reliant on exporting items, rather than selling domestically. And they must also be for some reason unable to benefit from customers in the same country not being able to buy abroad as easily just now. Because you would expect the home trade to grow at a time when goods crossing borders is problematic. The net effect, I would have thought, would be a muting of any trading difficulties during the adjustment period. A bigger problem for businesses selling bike stuff will be the global shortage of goods.
Goods move in and out of countries. Both are affected by Brexit. Sales need production – virtually nothing, in any country, does not use something made elsewhere in the world. Even farming uses imported machinery and chemicals.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 12:42pm
pwa wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:31am

Goods move in and out of countries. Both are affected by Brexit. Sales need production – virtually nothing, in any country, does not use something made elsewhere in the world. Even farming uses imported machinery and chemicals.
And leaving the EU on top of Covid has made that situation very difficult for most UK business,other than disaster capitalists!
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Guardian article on problems with parcels and stating that Royal Mail form CN22 is to be "redesigned":
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/ ... a-big-bill

Jonathan