Alcoholism and dealing with it.

Rob87

Alcoholism and dealing with it.

Post by Rob87 »

Afternoon all.
I'm posting this on this forum as I don't know any of you which likewise means I'm unonown to you guys. secondly, I love cycling and it has become a huge part of life.

It has occured to me, after yet another health damaging drink last night, that I am indeed an alcoholic. I was raised in pubs and followed suit of drinking 95% of my days. My usual drink in the house would be 4 strong beers and usually spirits ontop. When I'm out (when we could) then as many as possible.
I am functioning, employed with family and what not so an adiction isn't great. There is no off switch once I have a sip and I even male sure the beer is strong abv to get me intoxicated. These arent normal behaviours.
I tried Alcoholics Anonnymous ten years ago but it's religion based (not my cup of tea).

My lass knows I have a problem but when I try to stop she enabpes me somehow at a party or a meal etc. I'm gonna say it needs to stop tonight but I've said it before so don't know what reaction to expect.

So, Has anyone ever gone (going) through alcoholism? whay mechanisms do you use to cope when you get the urge? Has your life improved since sobering up and how? did you tell people.of your problem or just stop and keep it to yourself?

I suppose I'm posting on here because while looking at youtube videos and reading on it is helpful, it's a very lonely and isolated method of self help.

Well, thanks for reading and all the best. Ride Safe.
thirdcrank

Re: Alcoholism and dealing with it.

Post by thirdcrank »

I cannot help but good luck with this. AIUI, recognising there's a problem is the first and biggest step.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I recommend giving AA another try. It can appear initially as a religious organisation, and it is common for new attendees to be put off by this. If you can see past that for a few meetings the twelve step program does work if you can follow it with an open mind. I assume there are no physical meetings as the moment, but I’m sure there are online ones. Having a sponsor within the fellowship is also very important. I have found that the AA system does work for many people, although not all of course. One thing is certain, and that is without such help the risk of relapse is very high. To give yourself the best chance of success you need to accept the program and follow it, but dial out any hint of religion. I wish you good luck.
Power to the pedals
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

thirdcrank wrote:I cannot help but good luck with this. AIUI, recognising there's a problem is the first and biggest step.

Thank You :)
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

jezer wrote:I recommend giving AA another try. It can appear initially as a religious organisation, and it is common for new attendees to be put off by this. If you can see past that for a few meetings the twelve step program does work if you can follow it with an open mind. I assume there are no physical meetings as the moment, but I’m sure there are online ones. Having a sponsor within the fellowship is also very important. I have found that the AA system does work for many people, although not all of course. One thing is certain, and that is without such help the risk of relapse is very high. To give yourself the best chance of success you need to accept the program and follow it, but dial out any hint of religion. I wish you good luck.

I'll give it some serious thought as I'm no doubt going to need the support. Thanks for taking the time it's appreciated.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What thirdcrank says.

I'd also recommend talking to your GP.

Hope it goes well for you.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have to applaud your honesty and say (from my very limited and totally amateur pov) you have already taken the first & most important step.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Hi Rob. I am an alcoholic. I was persuaded to go to AA 35 years ago. I did but gave up on the meetings because I felt I was a young man among many older men and, anyway, I had a lot of living to do. Cut a long story short, I started tippling again, lost my house, wife and family. I managed to hold on to my job in newspapers, where there was a huge drinking culture at all levels.
I finally threw the towel in and went back to AA, sheepishly and with little faith, on May 29, 2001.
In three months, a day at a time, I will be 20 years away from my last drink. I have remarried, retired (though work in a bike shop at weekends) and have my family back in my life. I am so grateful that I plucked up the courage to go back to the fellowship of AA. It is not religious though I can understand newcomers thinking it is. I just wished I had stayed in AA the first time round, but heyho, I have to be thankful for the far superior life I have now. A life that's easier managed and one that my friends and relatives clearly prefer. You've taken the first step, the hardest one, by asking for help. Please lift the phone or go online. It costs absolutely nothing and all you need to hand over is your first name.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I never been badly hooked but I have been hooked because like you I don't have an off switch when it comes to drink.
I was able to cut down a lot for a few years, one night a week, before finally giving it up completely.
It's been over ten years now since my last drink.
I still sometimes get the urge to have another one but I know in the long run it's not worth it.
Stick with it, it's worth it.

Luck ......... :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can only echo the support that others have said.
Good luck, and remember that every journey starts with a first step.

I'm a drinker through and through. It's rare that I don't have a beer. I love pubs - sadly not available at present - but enjoy beer at home. I never drink spirits ........ sorry, I have been known to have a G+T but it's never more than two.

Wine is ok, but only a glass or two with a meal.

A day doesn't go by without my having a beer or three or four. Sometimes five, but I certainly do have an off-switch. I can manage fine without a drink as there's no cravings or anything. I just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm lucky, and know it. Others aren't so lucky. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

Thank you all for the replies it does genuinley mean alot. It's good to hear that there is life after booze.
I told my other half last night and she was suprisingly supportive. She's been telling me for years I've got a problem so she's oboard which is good.
I have to have "the conversation" with family which I'm not looking forward to but that's stigma more than anything.
I have still got alot of figuring out to do but I'll get there. Thanks all and Happy Riding.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I'm not sure if I was ever what would be termed an "alcoholic", though for a period of my life I think I drank far more than was healthy. It started at university and went on through most of my working life, I found things stressful and seemingly alcohol helped (it didn't really). After a couple of health scares I decided that I needed to cut right down. I tried giving up completely, but found that hard. What I did find that worked was to get away from routine situations that encouraged me to drink, e.g. coming home from work late and "needing" a drink, which happened on a regular basis, so decided to stop working late, changed my job, and when I came home from work made sure I did something different like for example, going for a walk, bike ride or to the gym, anything to break up the routine and switch off from work without having a drink. The other thing I found that worked was the realisation that I didn't actually need to drink alcohol in order to relax in social situations.
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

flat tyre wrote: The other thing I found that worked was the realisation that I didn't actually need to drink alcohol in order to relax in social situations.

This is gonna be a major adjustment as my sociol life (well not atm obviously) involved a drink. So gonna have to take it as it comes with that aspect.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:I can only echo the support that others have said.
Good luck, and remember that every journey starts with a first step.

I'm a drinker through and through. It's rare that I don't have a beer. I love pubs - sadly not available at present - but enjoy beer at home. I never drink spirits ........ sorry, I have been known to have a G+T but it's never more than two.

Wine is ok, but only a glass or two with a meal.

A day doesn't go by without my having a beer or three or four. Sometimes five, but I certainly do have an off-switch. I can manage fine without a drink as there's no cravings or anything. I just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm lucky, and know it. Others aren't so lucky. :cry:

Mick, if I had as much as you in one day I'd be in intensive care that night!
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I had a good friend that was an alcoholic. His worst drinking days were mostly over before we met. He joined our vintage motorcycle club to try and occupy his time while getting his mind off the drink but he had the odd relapse and would be missing for about a fortnight while he went on a Bender.

He eventually beat the drink completely and did about 25 years without it. I always admired him for beating the addiction because it was a long hard won battle for him.

He couldn't ever touch the stuff or even go somewhere where others were drinking so none of us had anything while he was with us.

Unfortunately about 2 years ago he found out it had left him with some health issues ending in cancer which took him within about 10 months. I still miss his wit and wisdom badly.
Last edited by Cowsham on 19 Feb 2022, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?