Halfords In-Store Bike build problems

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Halfords In-Store Bike build problems

Post by Jdsk »

tatanab wrote:
scottg wrote:So how much does a bike shop charge to take the Halfords bike to bits
and assemble it correctly,

A local mobile mechanic advertises £40 for "internet bicycle purchase build" which is probably similar.

Just checked... same here, £40:
https://bike-support.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Price-List-2020-1.pdf

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote:
tatanab wrote:
scottg wrote:So how much does a bike shop charge to take the Halfords bike to bits
and assemble it correctly,

A local mobile mechanic advertises £40 for "internet bicycle purchase build" which is probably similar.

Just checked... same here, £40:
https://bike-support.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Price-List-2020-1.pdf

Jonathan

As posted upthread a LBS charges £50 for similar, but I don't think any of these include all scottg is asking about. Though those things. such as replacing brake blocks and cables shouldn't be required.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote:but I don't think any of these include all scottg is asking about. Though those things. such as replacing brake blocks and cables shouldn't be required.
I would consider those as upgrades since they replace existing new parts.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I wouldn't touch a Halfords cycle...and certainly would not entertain a repair or service from them....I use them for the odd service part ( grease / mineral oil etc ) and have witnessed some absolute howlers from their ''experts in the cycle dept'' while waiting to pay for items....such as advising a prospective customer to purchase a ''general purpose saddle'' for her new Boardman road bike instead of getting a specific ladies saddle as their own brand ''general purpose '' was much wider / thicker padding than a ''normal saddle '' and she would notice the difference...to...a neighbour who purchased his daughter a bike ( 13yr old first MTB ) He brought to my house as he thought the brake weren't working properly ...The cables weren't connected properly and the handle bars were upside down !!!

When you see a spotty youth trying to fit a very expensive radio for a customer in the car park ...lots of swearing and brute force....you can see where the cycle experts base their skill levels on

steer clear and use your local bike shops ....
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

cyclemad wrote:When you see a spotty youth trying to fit a very expensive radio for a customer in the car park ...lots of swearing and brute force....you can see where the cycle experts base their skill levels on

On the only occasion I've bought a car battery from Halfords, I took advantage of their free fitting offer and ended up having to borrow the spotty youth's spanner to undo the clamp bolt because he couldn't/wouldn't apply enough welly.

And then the fancy gizmo that he plugged into the cigar lighter with the promise that it would remove the need for me to re-enter my radio code, didn't ...
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Why do you keep referring to them as 'spotty youths'. Rather rude and offensive in my opinion.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

philvantwo wrote:Why do you keep referring to them as 'spotty youths'. Rather rude and offensive in my opinion.
Fair comment - the issue is not the age or skin condition of the mechanics, im sure many of us were "spotty youths" at one point in our lives and they are just trying to earn a living. The issue is the lack of training/supervision that Halfords give them.
sjs

Post by sjs »

cyclemad wrote:I wouldn't touch a Halfords cycle...and certainly would not entertain a repair or service from them....I use them for the odd service part ( grease / mineral oil etc ) and have witnessed some absolute howlers from their ''experts in the cycle dept'' while waiting to pay for items....such as advising a prospective customer to purchase a ''general purpose saddle'' for her new Boardman road bike instead of getting a specific ladies saddle as their own brand ''general purpose '' was much wider / thicker padding than a ''normal saddle '' and she would notice the difference...to...a neighbour who purchased his daughter a bike ( 13yr old first MTB ) He brought to my house as he thought the brake weren't working properly ...The cables weren't connected properly and the handle bars were upside down !!!

When you see a spotty youth trying to fit a very expensive radio for a customer in the car park ...lots of swearing and brute force....you can see where the cycle experts base their skill levels on

steer clear and use your local bike shops ....

A few years ago I bought a new Genesis Tour de Fer from a BS L to me, and on a spin round the block the left pedal fell off. Someone (I'm sure not the main man of the LBS) didn't know it had an LH thread, and had somehow bodged it on. These things are not unique to Halfords.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A few years ago I bought a new Genesis Tour de Fer from a BS L to me, and on a spin round the block the left pedal fell off. Someone (I'm sure not the main man of the LBS) didn't know it had an LH thread, and had somehow bodged it on. These things are not unique to Halfords.

I recently went into my local, expensive but not boutique, LBS and asked for a rim tape. The assistant eventually found one and I asked what the price was. £24.99 was the answer so I made a rapid exit. I avoid the place as much as possible.

In contrast, at least Halfords do have some sensibly priced things for sale but I have never used their mechanics or bought a bike off them. I also have a cheap LBS which is OK for basic things like inner tubes.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Halfords have previous form for getting it wrong.
I have seen 2 or 3 Halfords bikes where they have the forks backwards in posts. Doesn't inspire much confidence.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

philvantwo wrote:Why do you keep referring to them as 'spotty youths'. Rather rude and offensive in my opinion.

the last spotty youth I spoke to was rather rude and his appearance was offensive too :)
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

There is a Halfords in Christchurch, Bournemouth. It is actually opposite a very nice Pizza Hut and alongside some Furniture stores and even a Homebase.
In the cycle department upstairs (lift available) there works a girl. She is a walking Tatoo! She is also a fabulous cycle mechanic. It would be worth a trip just to watch her at work. I doubt there would be any complaints about her built bikes!
I no longer live in the area but occasionally (as one does when visiting Pizza Hut) used to pop in to chat to her. I first 'discovered' her because I noticed a set of SKS Mudguards reduced in price. I purchased as spares and she started to advise me how to fit them. Once chatting she realised I already knew and told me it was nice to talk sense to someone who knew what they were buying. She said the mudguards were reduced because the type of customer wanted cheap!
Make your choice. I do NOT use any cycle shops ever! (Let alone Halfords)
'Spotty youths'? I see many around and most are friendly lads and lasses, but those mentioned in a Halfords branch must be Halford grown.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

My son once bought a bike from halfords, fatbike type. He paid in store for the bike and was told to call in a day for them to assemble and set up the bike, when he turned up tp collect the bike he noticed that they had set up with the front forks (rigid) reversed so the disk and caliper were on the front of fork...(right side)
Trying not to laugh he pointed the error and was told by the cycle expert ( not a young lad) that some new style fat bikes are that way.. my son calmly pointed out the error, lets just say the bike tech didnt take too well..

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Halfords.... not the best
Pete... I think
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You can get lucky or unlucky with bike mechanics because there is very little or no legislation around competence and training. Bike shops are free to employ anyone and everyone as mechanics, including those with little to no experience. Many such as Halfords do. They have low wages and high workload, are generally not good work environments and consequently have staffing problems and high staff turnover. Mistakes like this can happen at many bike shops but it's no wonder that the chances are higher at somewhere like Halfords.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I trust only two mechanics with my bike(s).Myself and a mate who works for Halfords.To be fair to him he has been a fully trained cycle mechanic for the best part of 28 years and only works at Halfords as it suits his childcare needs and his wife is the main earner.He's just moved shops and he says there's a common factor in the four Halfords he's worked.All the 'mechanics' are youngsters(under 25) and none are actually certified other than by Halfords.Generally if a mechanic is off they use an employee from another area to fill in and do 'easy' jobs :roll:

How much would I want if I were to 'rebuild/check' a bike previously built by Halfords or online?Tricky one as it doesn't actually take long to strip/grease/rebuild/refit etc and would someone who only wants to pay £100-£300 really want to pay another £40-£50 to have it checked?
If I were to do it for a friend etc then I'd charge a couple of beers.If it were my job however then it actually boils down to time/travel time etc.
£50 IMO is not unreasonable for a Mobile-cycle mechanic for their time and experience.Any parts would need to be extra.

One of our CC members started a Mobile Cycle mechanic business(pre Covid) and he struggled and eventually gave in.It's an odd one.Those who ride seriously tend to do their own spanner work and those who buy bikes for kids/holidays/occasional use just won't pay the sort of fees involved.
He now walks dogs for a living!