Possible 10 years for damaging a statue?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Possible 10 years for damaging a statue?

Post by Jdsk »

And you're not quite sure of the rules of the road and they don't seem to be written down anywhere. But they've been known by the other rider's family for many generations, and don't need to be written down or spoken out loud because they're so well known and taken for granted.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:12am And you're not quite sure of the rules of the road and they don't seem to be written down anywhere. But they've been known by the other rider's family for many generations, and don't need to be written down or spoken out loud because they're so well known and taken for granted.

Jonathan
Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 5:01pm
Pebble wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 4:42pmThere is little to no racism now in the UK, yes I'm sure you will find plenty of claims of it in the looney left press of the Guardian and BBC (they seem to have it on the brain) but in real life racism has all but gone.
"Nearly half of young Brits believe systemic racism is a major problem facing the UK, according to a new report from BCW and PSB that reveals brands, politicians and institutions face an existential threat from a deepening generational divide."
https://diversityuk.org/young-brits-bel ... m-problem/

Jonathan
There are different ways of reading that. It seems to me that if young people see "a major problem" then it may still be a smaller problem in absolute terms than it was in the days when the majority saw no problem. Then, the source there may also be partial. If I've got it right, those researchers analyse attitudes for people who might want to influence them with spin, advertising etc. ie Nothing much to do with addressing social problems but rather helping vested interests appear to be doing so.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Pebble wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 4:42pm
There is little to no racism now in the UK, yes I'm sure you will find plenty of claims of it in the looney left press of the Guardian and BBC (they seem to have it on the brain) but in real life racism has all but gone. There is nothing stopping anyone getting on and doing well in the UK, you just need to work hard.
:shock: Is this post serious?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I believe family wealth is more useful in "getting on" in life than being born white+male, in modern Britain.
Look at the makeup of the HouseS of Parliament.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:18pm
There is little to no racism now in the UK, yes I'm sure you will find plenty of claims of it in the looney left press of the Guardian and BBC (they seem to have it on the brain) but in real life racism has all but gone. There is nothing stopping anyone getting on and doing well in the UK, you just need to work hard.
If it is Pebble needs to get out more,I have a friend who's black he'd educate Pebble on just how wrong he is!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:56pm I believe family wealth is more useful in "getting on" in life than being born white+male, in modern Britain.
And both are more advantageous than being black/Asian,worse still being black/Asian and female.

Anyone who thinks the UK is an equal society is living in cloud cuckoo land!
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:31pm
Vorpal wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:18pm
If it is Pebble needs to get out more,I have a friend who's black he'd educate Pebble on just how wrong he is!
Dr Tony Seewell's report seemed to put it in better perspective.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56585538
and I think there was just one white person out of the 11 who led the report.

Of course some racism will still exist and always will be, but I seriously doubt it gets in the way of anyone achieving what they want these days.
mattheus wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:56pm I believe family wealth is more useful in "getting on" in life than being born white+male, in modern Britain.
And just look at tv, news / drama / advertising, look at football, sport, the arts, music - it seems there is a distinct disadvantage in being white. not that I am remotely bothered by that, but am finding it increasingly ludicrous to be continuously told that that they're all being held back by a racist nation. The UK is not a racist nation by a million miles.

I doubt there is any so called 'white privilege' either. being born into a stable loving family with a high work ethic is what is going to give you great advantage now, I think this is why Chinese and Indian households do so well, great family structures and amazing work ethic, they deserve to be the best paid people in Britain today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48919813

I'm generally against inward migration, but a free trade deal with India is just what we need right now, and we can also welcome all the Hong Kongesse who want to resettle here, they would do wonders for our economy.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Because of what Ghandi urged Indians to do I dont think we will ever get a fair trade deal with India.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble
I'll stand by my previous post.
All the black and Asian people I've known have all suffered racism to a greater or lesser extent,some of it blatant and also from people in authority as well a ordinary people on the street.
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

Pebble wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 12:06am Dr Tony Seewell's report seemed to put it in better perspective.
The report was widely disparaged. Its origins and the people selected for it, not least Tony Sewell himself, were seen as people who already had strong views which were in line with what Tory ministers wanted to be told. To date that report remains an anomaly, and people who cite it are doing so similarly because it fits their own prejudices.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

slowster wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:05am
Pebble wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 12:06am Dr Tony Seewell's report seemed to put it in better perspective.
The report was widely disparaged. Its origins and the people selected for it, not least Tony Sewell himself, were seen as people who already had strong views which were in line with what Tory ministers wanted to be told. To date that report remains an anomaly, and people who cite it are doing so similarly because it fits their own prejudices.
And likewise, are those who dismiss it are doing so as it does not fit their own prejudices
I was a little sceptical when it first come out, but it was not the findings of just one person. So who were the commissioners of the report
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ssible.pdf
hardly a whitewash....
slowster

Post by slowster »

Pebble wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 12:22pm And likewise, are those who dismiss it are doing so as it does not fit their own prejudices
No, because it is an anomaly. Selecting people to prepare the report who have already stated strongly what their views are on the subject, is clearly flawed. It was a report commissioned by the Tory Government, which had a vested interest in the outcome and chose the commissioners accordingly.

To date the report's findings have not been supported by any other studies into the subject. Citing that report to justify your own prejudice, is just another illustration of your prejudice.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Some statues of Cook are being defaced:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/j ... -will-fall

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ben@Forest wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 6:51am
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 12:01pm I do that too. People who are up to date might forget what they said 3 or more pages back. I'd be interested to find out what you think we're doing now that's likely to be thought of as beyond acceptable in the future. I think one might be motor racing with ICE.
But what might we want to continue to see that's always going to be powered by fossil fuels? I read sometime ago that heritage attractions such as railways, beam engines, traction engines etc use 26,000 tonnes of coal a year (l think that was just England).

And of course there are heritage diesel locos, planes like the Battle of Britain flight and even vintage or classic car racing. A lot of the above can be a much more interesting history lesson to a child or adult who doesn't particularly enjoy reading or academic pursuits.

Plus of course whose going to ban the above whilst we (the UK) has, in normal times, around 1,300 flights a day?
Imagine electric conversions for old steam trains complete with water steam out of the funnel. Or hydrogen fueled systems where the exhaust could perhaps be sent out as steam.

I'm sure I've seen engines showing how steam beam. Engines work that use electricity to power everything. Might be models but could be scaled up of necessary.

Necessity is the mother of invention. It's necessary to leave fossil fuel behind so invention will come even for heritage engines I reckon.