Good trousers.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jags

Good trousers.

Post by jags »

Hi folks,
I'm back cycling after years of layoff due to bad back.
Anyhoo I'm after good trousers for everyday cycling.i have loads lycra but me been a tad overweight I'm doing me best to stay away from skin tight lycra.
Fancy nice trousers and nice top anyone got any recommendations.
Cheers
Jags.
Jdsk

Re: Good trousers.

Post by Jdsk »

What style are you after?

Lots of us wear Rohan walking trousers. Discussed here with alternatives:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141694

Jonathan
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Rohan trousers are slightly more expensive than similar makes - but I just can't seem to wear mine out. I have four pairs (elasticated material) bought round about 2014 to 2018 for walking and cycling. All four still going strong after constant use on all conditions.
jags

Post by jags »

After nice fit on leg not baggy elastic on waste.quick drying light ish tough wearing.bacically good for cycling.im short 36 waste 29 inside leg.i check in tomorrow lads I have to get to bed shattered.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I just wear jeans and tuck them into my socks. I have some old ones with the legs cut off as shorts for the summer. Very comfy. I wear a yellow flourescent top or tabbard. M&S often do cycling trousers. I have found all seat pads uncomfortable. Roadies would probably suffer a fashion meltdown if they dressed like I do. Too many dress all in dangerous black to look cool. You dont have to look like a Beleisha beacon to be safe.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
millimole

Post by millimole »

Leaving aside the comments about tops as you were asking specifically about trousers - I too was on the search for the holy grail of non-cycling cycling trousers and ended up at Rohan Bags.
They are expensive, but fit me, dry very quickly, seem indestructible and look normal.
Other walking trousers - Craghoppers for example - are much cheaper, and may suit you, but i find they start to show obvious signs of wear very quickly, and they don't have the 'give' of the Rohan material.
I've found denim too bulky, and very slow to dry.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
grufty

Post by grufty »

I've tried several pairs of non-cycling trousers and Rohan Lowland are the top of my list. Non- flappy ankles, tailored waist and true to size, albeit slightly long in the leg, but that's good for cycling. They're light in weight, quick drying, a three season trouser. And now the price....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In general, trousers made for activities such as walking, playing golf, running, etc. will be suitable as long as they are high waisted enough that they don't show a builder's bum when you are in a cycling position. I recommend trying discount racks at outfitters, or someplace like TK Maxx. Shower proof or fast drying materials seem to hold up well & stay looking nice.

I generally avoid cotton for cycling just because it's horrid if I get caught in the rain or something.

There are some earlier threads with this sort of discussion...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=117244
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118324

Obviously, they are older, so the products may no longer be available.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Another vote for walking kit, trousers and shorts, they are hard wearing and comfortable. In hot weather I prefer cotton.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've worn Rohan togs since before Craghoppers and in the days when they assumed everybody had an inside leg of 40" + and they left the trouser bottoms unfinished I used to get my late mother to sew them for me.

Rohan stuff is generally of a higher quality than Craghoppers IME but not so much better that the price difference is justified. A lot of that difference must be the cost of the marketing. It's years since I last bought anything from Rohan but I still receive catalogues regularly: by coincidence, I've had one within the last couple of days and at one point I was receiving a £10-00 gift card every year. I have several titanium Sporks bought with them. Somebody pays for that marketing.

You can often save a bit on Rohan prices by waiting for the regular sales and the outlet at Long Preston (if it's still there) has some cheap stuff if you can live with the weird colours that didn't sell. Places like Boundary Mill seem to have Craghoppers togs on permenent discounts.

Finally, a lot of the Rohan marketing is pure guff.
================================================================
As Vorpal says about cotton not drying.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Can I ask the trouser wearers How are your knees?
Top half of me now is usually a woolly jumper but as yet I’m still a tights man below the waist. Often wonder if I’ve got very sensitive knees as I hate the drag, caused by trousers, over them. A lot of walking or cycling I wear tights. I’d gladly wear a skirt or dress all week and not just Friday nights if it was acceptable. :wink: Anything to avoid that pull over the knees and not being a postman I only wear shorts on days over 12C.
Anyone suffered this and overcome it?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No problem with my knees in any of my Rohan walking trousers with or without Helly Hansen Lifa tights underneath.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:03amYou can often save a bit on Rohan prices by waiting for the regular sales...
Yes. It's several decades since I bought any at list prices.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:45amI generally avoid cotton for cycling just because it's horrid if I get caught in the rain or something.
francovendee wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:52am Another vote for walking kit, trousers and shorts, they are hard wearing and comfortable. In hot weather I prefer cotton.
A bit more on materials, please.

The problem with denim is well known. But aside from that are you both referring to pure cotton as opposed to polyester/cotton mixes?

Thanks

Jonathan
jags

Post by jags »

Thanks everyone seems rohan trouders are we liked I'll sus out pair later today .