Good trousers.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Good trousers.

Post by mattsccm »

Bags are a rather loose fitting but closer/better cut than stuff like Craghopper and the cheaper things. Actually, although Rohan have said otherwise, they are a different cut nowadays. Well my 1983 ones are different to my 2019 ones in the same size.
All a bit floppy around the lower leg.
Many of the MTB companies such as Endura do a much better cut cycling trew nowadays.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mattsccm wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:36pm Bags are a rather loose fitting but closer/better cut than stuff like Craghopper and the cheaper things. Actually, although Rohan have said otherwise, they are a different cut nowadays. Well my 1983 ones are different to my 2019 ones in the same size.
All a bit floppy around the lower leg.
The Stretch Bags version are closer cut around the leg. I don't know whether it's the stretch or they've expanded the waist a bit (or both), but I wear the Stretch ones with a belt but never bother with the polycotton ones. Other difference is the front pockets have a smaller expansion gusset, so the popper is pretty much superfluous. The stretch helps make up for it, but you can fit things in the originals that won't make it in to the Stretch version. The ladies' version has the expansion panel removed entirely, and they've been extensively re-cut (for my wife, to the good: she didn't really get on with the originals but likes S-Bs as smartish/work trews).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:41pm I also have a broad-brimmed Rohan rainhat - currently unavailable. My wife says it all gives me the look of a priest.
I have one of their "Hilltop" hats from when they end-of-lined it. Broad brimmed, waterproof, fleece lined and with ear/neck cover it looks completely daft (and then some) but on a foul day it's awesome, on foot or on the bike, and at my age I'd rather look daft than be soaking and shivering!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
jags

Post by jags »

i came across endura hummavee on chainreaction i deal with them a lot so i might just buy these,
the Rohan gear looks good but the wife would deck me if i spend 100 quid on cycling pants.
thanks guys for all the replys much appreciated next few bob i get ill go for Rohan.

jags.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I had Rohan bags back in the 90's. They were good for travelling, especially in hot climates - very light, dried quickly, useful (but maybe too many) pockets, etc. I didn't find that they were very warm if there was a cool wind. The material doesn't insulate you from the chill. I sometimes took Lifa long johns if going somewhere hot and cool (either at night or altitude). I can't think they would much warmer than shorts if cycling.

For touring, my lightweight warm trousers for those chilly mornings are tracksuit bottoms. The ones with the mesh lining. Surprisingly warm and dry quickly. They spend most of the time rolled up in my pannier. Can also be worn off bike without looking too odd. Oh and usually about 3 quid in the charity shop.
jags

Post by jags »

bought the endura humavee ,ah there ok time will tell if there as good as they make out.
i have to go hunting now for a loose jersey top ,all my jerseys are way to tight on me big belly. :roll: :D
thanks for help on trousers folks.

jags.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pjclinch wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 3:16pm ... the Hilltop is one of the very few knee-length serious waterproofs you can get anywhere these days. ...
With apologies for resurrecting a thread about trousers with a comment about coats, but I've had my Hilltop on a couple of times in the last 24 hours. One of the features it has - in common with the Rohan (Globetrotter?) mac is that it has a press-stud fastening at the bottom of the front opening. Memory lane here: one of my great-grandmothers had a press-stud sewn there on her coat and one of my abiding memories of her when I was small and she was young enough to take me out was of her fastening her coat. I think I got my mother to sew one on for me on my coat, but that may be my imagination. Anyway, one way or another, Rohan picked up the idea and I like it.
Jdsk

Re: Good trousers

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:27am
NUKe wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:14amAs the weather warms up I switch to a pair of Endura Humvee 3/4 length.
I'd be interested if anyone ever finds these going cheap.
£33 to 40 at Chain Reaction:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/end ... content=GB

Jonathan
Sweep

Re: Good trousers

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:32am
Jdsk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:27am
NUKe wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:14amAs the weather warms up I switch to a pair of Endura Humvee 3/4 length.
I'd be interested if anyone ever finds these going cheap.
£33 to 40 at Chain Reaction:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/end ... content=GB

Jonathan
Good trousers and a good offer, though I find the dedicated insert a waste of time.
Also I find them not good when it's really hot - I use some thinner mountain warehouse things then.
Sweep
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Aldi are doing some casual cycling trousers for £12.99. A bit of a garish colour, but they look quite good for the money.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-commuter ... lsrc=aw.ds
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

They look like flares with turn-ups!
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

TrevA wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 4:07pm Aldi are doing some casual cycling trousers for £12.99. A bit of a garish colour, but they look quite good for the money.
Looks like Coco the clown's been making stuff on his sewing machine.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 4:07pm Aldi are doing some casual cycling trousers for £12.99. A bit of a garish colour, but they look quite good for the money.
cripes what a colour - I hope more attention went into the stitching than the listing grammar.

I fear you'd have to be very "casual" to appear in public in those.
Now if they could rework the hallowed M&S cycling chinos - did a fair bit of cycling round London to various smartish events in those.
Sweep
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have a pair of Endura Firefly trousers that I find really good for bike and casual wear. They're not sold any more but if those were re-introduced with a couple of tweaks, they would, imho, be unbeatable. The material is more like proper trouser material and not the hard shiny stuff of the Hummvees that I have - it is softer and dries very fast. They also don't have big logos or reflective patches on them, which I don't like - especially for off-the-bike use. The tweaks (though this might be worthless without knowing what the original trousers are like - so here's a link to an inactive sales page): 1) a proper belt with wide loops instead of the original sewn-in side cinch straps and sewn-in front straps with a cinching buckle. 2) Better trouser-leg bottom/ankle design - the original velcro strap arrangement doesn't work - I modified mine with a bit of stitching but only after tearing them on the chainwheel. 3) Do away with the useless little extra pockets around the thighs.

Here's a photo from the linked page (there are other photos on the linked page):
endura-firefly-trousers-black-1.png
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It's early days yet but I'm loving my decathlon water repellant walking trousers.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-war ... 19&c=GREEN
Got mine in grey (VERY dark grey) and had to shorten them. This meant losing the elasticated ends but I hate those things anyway. They've a lovely fleecy lining for cooler temps and a built in belt. It never stays tight but mine are a nice fit anyway. I've not been able to test the water repellant claims yet but I doubt it's brilliant. Very comfy indeed.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.