Ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
briansnail

Re: Ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Post by briansnail »

And who pays her legal fees? Taxpayers?
Yep always us Taxpayers,

Does anyone know if there were was any possibility of the reverse? Horizon payments posted to sub post master accounts and is this possible? So the accounts would be in surplus rather then deficit. Logically the possibility must exist.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
Jdsk

Re: Post Office scandal

Post by Jdsk »

freiston wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 1:58pm
pete75 wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 1:09pm
Cowsham wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 9:47am

Sub judice is the proper phrase she was looking for. Used a lot in the Ranson affair. Seriously the government needs to get the convictions overturned and compensation paid asap before more worms crawl out of the dirt.
Any compensation paid should take into account the free board and lodging enjoyed by imprisoned postmasters. It costs something over £30,000 a year per prisoner, so any compensation should be reduced by this amount for each year spent inside.
Is that still the case?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -in-prison
IIRC it later emerged that the repayment hadn't been applied in practice for some time.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 9:47am

Sub judice is the proper phrase she was looking for. Used a lot in the Ranson affair. Seriously the government needs to get the convictions overturned and compensation paid asap before more worms crawl out of the dirt.
Any compensation paid should take into account the free board and lodging enjoyed by imprisoned postmasters. It costs something over £30,000 a year per prisoner, so any compensation should be reduced by this amount for each year spent inside.
Is that still the case?

If the Guardian is to be believed anymore than it's mirror image, the Daily Mail, then it isn't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post Office scandal

Post by Jdsk »

"Remove Post Office from Horizon scandal compensation schemes, MPs demand":
https://committees.parliament.uk/commit ... ps-demand/

Sounds right to me.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Re: Post Office scandal

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Mar 2024, 8:44am "Remove Post Office from Horizon scandal compensation schemes, MPs demand":
https://committees.parliament.uk/commit ... ps-demand/

Sounds right to me.

Jonathan
Yes the sooner the SPM's get paid the less money will get sucked up by the legal fees in the long run so I'd be in favor of over compensation rather than trying to be too precise about every case. The government should just own up to their mistakes universally and save the legal budget for convicting the ones at the centre of the scandal.
I am here. Where are you?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 3:09pm

Is that still the case?

If the Guardian is to be believed anymore than it's mirror image, the Daily Mail, then it isn't.
The Guardian is not remotely the mirror image of the Mail. It's not even the mirror image of the Telegraph.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 2:45pm
thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 5:57pm I see from today's Private Eye (No 1615) that in the initial fuss following the "dramatisation" Paula Vennells employed libel lawyers Mishcon de Reya to send newspapers a legal notice to "stop belabouring her."

Apparently, it was only when that failed that "she caved in and relinquished her gong." (FWIW, the last bit is wrong as you cannot simply return a CBE.)
It's about to be removed.
Does anyone know if the defenestration/annulling ceremony will be televised?
PS: I don't think that this will make much difference to anything. On balance I'd leave the "honour" in place as that would help to bring the whole rotten system into further disrepute.
The system has no honour.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Mar 2024, 9:56am
Is that still the case?

The Guardian is not remotely the mirror image of the Mail. It's not even the mirror image of the Telegraph.
You must be looking at different papers to the ones normally published under those names.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Is that still the case?

Just out of interest:

# Is the Guardian the mirror image of any paper and if so then which one / ones?

# How, in objective terms, would you describe the Guardian?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post Office scandal

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 10:52am ...
I'd describe it as a newspaper best discussed in another thread.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As an alternative, I'd recommend a subscription to Private Eye which is a way of supporting genuine investigative journalism.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif (3.31 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Only limited online content, so not ideal for anybody posting links for others to follow
toontra

Post by toontra »

thirdcrank wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 3:51pm As an alternative, I'd recommend a subscription to Private Eye which is a way of supporting genuine investigative journalism.
Agreed. MP's and others in positions of authority dread the scrutiny of the Eye if they have anything they'd rather you didn't know about. That in itself is a good thing.

And some genuinely funny stuff as well. What's not to like.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Carlton green wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 10:52am

Just out of interest:

# Is the Guardian the mirror image of any paper and if so then which one / ones?

1. Probably the Times

2. The Guardian is regarded as a newspaper of record, ie factually reliable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gua ... 0105%2C134.

It has left leaning, "soft left" editorial position but also includes commentary from other positions eg a regular column from Simon Jenkins. Editorial and reporting are generally kept separate.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 9:37pm

Just out of interest:

1. Probably the Times

It has left leaning, "soft left" editorial position but also includes commentary from other positions eg a regular column from Simon Jenkins. Editorial and reporting are generally kept separate.
Thank you for responding and thank you for the link which proved interesting too. Usefully educational.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 9:37pm

Just out of interest:

1. Probably the Times

The Daily Telegraph is also a newspaper of record according to Wikipedia.