Walking the wrong way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Walking the wrong way

Post by Cowsham »

wjhall wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 6:08pm So far no one has mentioned the rule for large groups of people, rule 5 (2015 edition). In the 1968 edition it refers to groups marching on the road.
That could be a very contentious issue here. :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We were out driving through a small village last night about 8.30pm just enjoying the scenery ( I can't do much else atm ).

As we left the village the sun was very bright and low in the sky in front of us but I noticed something on our side of the road about 50 yards up the road. It was hard to make out against the bright sun.

The wife was driving slow at about 20MPH and didn't see it as soon as I did but did when I alerted her to it.

It turned out to be a man walking with his bike on our side of the road. We had our windows down since it was a very warm night ( about 29 degrees c ). I told the wife to stop along side the guy.

I told him "your very hard to see there fella" he said OK thanks. As we pulled away I noticed in the rear view mirror he'd crossed over to the other side got on his bike to ride on into the village.

Good job he did cos we'd just came through a left hand bend before he came into view.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Last week I came across two episodes of bad behaviour on the road.

1. A motorist pulling away exceptionally hard from a roundabout I had just navigated and cutting in far two close.
2. Almost immediately afterwards a cyclist on the opposite side but cycling the wrong way and carrying a long parcel.

Both extreme acts of considerable stupidity.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 9:34amI told him "your very hard to see there fella" he said OK thanks. As we pulled away I noticed in the rear view mirror he'd crossed over to the other side got on his bike to ride on into the village.
Thanks for sharing. One of the extraordinary features of the human mind is the ability to learn from experiences we haven't had... talking, writing and reading, the web...

And congratulations on communicating with a road user using a different mode of transport.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:13am
Cowsham wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 9:34amI told him "your very hard to see there fella" he said OK thanks. As we pulled away I noticed in the rear view mirror he'd crossed over to the other side got on his bike to ride on into the village.
Thanks for sharing. One of the extraordinary features of the human mind is the ability to learn from experiences we haven't had... talking, writing and reading, the web...

And congratulations on communicating with a road user using a different mode of transport.

Jonathan
Shanks mare?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cowsham wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 9:34am We were out driving through a small village last night about 8.30pm just enjoying the scenery ( I can't do much else atm ).

As we left the village the sun was very bright and low in the sky in front of us but I noticed something on our side of the road about 50 yards up the road. It was hard to make out against the bright sun.

The wife was driving slow at about 20MPH and didn't see it as soon as I did but did when I alerted her to it.

It turned out to be a man walking with his bike on our side of the road. We had our windows down since it was a very warm night ( about 29 degrees c ). I told the wife to stop along side the guy.

I told him "your very hard to see there fella" he said OK thanks. As we pulled away I noticed in the rear view mirror he'd crossed over to the other side got on his bike to ride on into the village.

Good job he did cos we'd just came through a left hand bend before he came into view.
Would this have been any different if the rider had been slowly riding his bike rather than walking?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Walking round blind right bends on the wrong side of the road, or cycling round blind left bends on the left side, I do the same thing: move away from the kerb so that drivers have more stopping time/distance. Once everyone has more time to react, it's easy to move back toward the kerb whilst the oncoming car is slowing down.
Visibility on Bends #1.JPG
Visibility on Bends #1.JPG (49.52 KiB) Viewed 869 times
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:40am
Cowsham wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 9:34am We were out driving through a small village last night about 8.30pm just enjoying the scenery ( I can't do much else atm ).

Would this have been any different if the rider had been slowly riding his bike rather than walking?
Well yes if he'd been riding his bike I'd presume he'd be on his side of the road not ours when moving towards us. Can you see what the problem is when approaching a blind right hand bend but being on the right hand side of the road at the time? The sun being behind him didn't help either.

The maybe not obvious to some thing to do is be on the left side so that you are not in the path of oncoming traffic especially when the sun is blinding the people driving towards you.

When you've the sun on your back at least the traffic coming from behind can see you well so stay on the left side even when walking.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You have lost me now. I thought the cyclists was walking with his back to you but on the same side of the road
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Out in the lake district recently on holiday, coming out of Buttermere going north we had to walk on the road for a while (walk around Crummock water), any how we walked on the left as there was a bend to the right, only for some driver to drive past pointing to the right-hand side of the road, clearly thinking we didn't know what we were doing. Irony is that if we had been on the right-hand side, he'd never have seen us. We crossed back a few minutes later when past the bend. I always walk on the outside of a tight bend, if I can't see a car, it can't see me.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:36pm You have lost me now. I thought the cyclists was walking with his back to you but on the same side of the road
It's the 'Walking the Wrong Way ' thread.

Did you miss the bit "as we left the village" ---- "As we pulled away I noticed in the rear view mirror he'd crossed over to the other side got on his bike to ride on into the village."
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Elizabeth_S wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:43pm Out in the lake district recently on holiday, coming out of Buttermere going north we had to walk on the road for a while (walk around Crummock water), any how we walked on the left as there was a bend to the right, only for some driver to drive past pointing to the right-hand side of the road, clearly thinking we didn't know what we were doing. Irony is that if we had been on the right-hand side, he'd never have seen us. We crossed back a few minutes later when past the bend. I always walk on the outside of a tight bend, if I can't see a car, it can't see me.

Yes a bit of common sense is needed amongst walkers, glad you have some Liz
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is what I have in mind, from the HC
Rule 237

Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop. (My emphasis.)
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 226-to-237
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 3:13pm This is what I have in mind, from the HC
Rule 237

Keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Be aware that the road surface may become soft or if it rains after a dry spell it may become slippery. These conditions could affect your steering and braking. If you are dazzled by bright sunlight, slow down and if necessary, stop. (My emphasis.)
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 226-to-237
Do you drive a car or motorcycle ?

Never mind -- you'd have to stop on your bicycle -- wait till the sun goes down before you left that village.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I do drive a car (test passed 1965) and I'm licensed to ride a motorcycle (test passed 1970)

I don't underestimate the effect of being dazzled by the sun. However, I believe that the advice in the HC is for people to follow to improve their own driving or riding rather than a way to shift that onus on others.