Walking the wrong way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
De Sisti

Re: Walking the wrong way

Post by De Sisti »

Cowsham wrote: 12 May 2021, 4:36pm People need to be taught how to cross the road early enough to be on the outside of a bend and visible.
Yes, but who is going to do the teaching? :?:
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

This issue highlights the responsibility of drivers, riders and pedestrians to be in the right place, on the right side and at the right pace.
Vehicles travel far too fast on winding country roads and it's amazing there aren't more collisions.
Parents have a primary duty here and maybe the schools should teach the highway code relating to pedestrians.
My neighbour is a primary school teacher and I know she looks after her charges in this respect, having seen her out with her class on a field trip to the local beach. It is however apparent that a lot of visiting holidaymakers around here are woefully ignorant of their responsibility in this respect.
Maybe far more 20 mph zones and surface delineation marks are needed from the M O T.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:52am Walking tests for pedestrians?
Not to mention compulsory walking helmets! (You know it makes sense.) :roll:
"42"
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I try never to exceed 20mph when out walking.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cowsham wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:38am ....

I've cycled around a left hand bend and met a person walking on my side of the road. Even at slow speed it's a bit of a shock. The walker has nowhere to go. Education would be a good thing.
You've lost me a bit with this. Even assuming "met" does not imply they were walking towards you, my only interpretation of this is that you were going too fast, even at slow speed. "The walker has nowhere to go" is not caused by the way they are facing. I really cannot see how educating pedestrians would help them get out of your way, especially on a narrow road.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 12 May 2021, 4:36pm
thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2021, 2:25pm
It's still drivers' responsibilty to account for these road situations.
That's it. Drivers just need to remember that they cannot see round corners.

I was expecting that quote to pop up but if you can't drive around a bend you can't see around then there would be colossal traffic jams.

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side.

People need to be taught how to cross the road early enough to be on the outside of a bend and visible.
Mr Cowsham,
You are displaying your ignorance of the law and Highway Code, and showing an irresponsible approach to driving on the public highway.
I almost wish you had done so before I replied to your thread; you really are in no position to be criticising vulnerable road users (pedestrians in this case).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:01am
Mr Cowsham,
You are displaying your ignorance of the law and Highway Code, and showing an irresponsible approach to driving on the public highway.
I almost wish you had done so before I replied to your thread; you really are in no position to be criticising vulnerable road users (pedestrians in this case).
Exactly.
This attitude is one which endangers cyclists too.
I have found that many drivers refuse to accept H.C. para.126.
Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
This is unambiguous, but obeying it would mean, for many drivers, driving more slowly. They consider this an infringement of their rights.
It is disappointing to find a cyclist taking the same view.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

In practice many if not most drivers will go round blind left handers at well beyond the speed in which they could stop in the distance they can see, and the behaviour is reinforced by the reality that they will almost always get away with it.

Of course the driver is responsible but that won't help the ped if he's brown bread. I won't quote the usual 'right of way' rhyme, but there's a good chance that the driver will think it's his right to be on the road and the walker's fault for being there.

I frequently walk local roads like that. If there's no verge, I cross the road. It's akin to driving or riding defensively.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Looks like the perfect discussion for a rainy day! Driving at a speed that allows you to stop, just about sums up ‘travelling’ by any means!
I’d also add a further thought - ‘imagine meeting yourself coming the other way’ - just reinforces the thinking process.
I find the most frustrating/irritating comments on some of the bike forums are from cyclists who complain about having to avoid/ hitting, ‘unexpected’ obstacles on their travels! Exactly the attitude that they are criticising drivers for?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Red Kite wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:28am In practice many if not most drivers will go round blind left handers at well beyond the speed in which they could stop in the distance they can see,
This is just an aside, but: if we're talking about British RHD cars, on a narrow single-track road, then the driver can see further round a tight "blind" LEFT-hander than a mirror-image right-hander!
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:33am
This is just an aside, but: if we're talking about British RHD cars, on a narrow single-track road, then the driver can see further round a tight "blind" LEFT-hander than a mirror-image right-hander!
So best walking up the middle on those single track, sunken Devon lanes with the vertical sides!
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I know my following comment isn't walking related but bear with me ......
riding towards a RH bend last week, 2 cyclists came around the bend towards me (LH for them of course) in single file. This is a country road, width for car+ in both directions), anyway, as I rounded the bend, there was a car approaching fast, and immediately I heard a squeal of brakes after he'd rounded the bend, and thankfully no other disturbing noises. As the road he had just driven along was at least a mile long straight, with no junctions nearby, he must have had the cyclists in his sight for some considerable time - he'd clearly (in the maybe 2 seconds they'd gone around the corner out of his sight), eliminated them from his memory? and also decided he could go too fast around a blind bend at well. It beggars belief how some people use the roads!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2021, 10:46am
Cowsham wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:38am ....

I've cycled around a left hand bend and met a person walking on my side of the road. Even at slow speed it's a bit of a shock. The walker has nowhere to go. Education would be a good thing.
You've lost me a bit with this. Even assuming "met" does not imply they were walking towards you, my only interpretation of this is that you were going too fast, even at slow speed. ( It's pretty simple - if they are walking with the flow there's more of a chance you'd see them as you both approach the LH bend especially if your on cycle -- if they're against the flow of traffic and walking towards for them a RH bend you definitely won't see them since they are and have always been out of sight until you meet on your LH bend. I'd thought that bit was obvious to most people. Wait I'll bring out the puppets )
"The walker has nowhere to go" is not caused by the way they are facing. I really cannot see how educating pedestrians would help them get out of your way, especially on a narrow road.
Last edited by Cowsham on 13 May 2021, 1:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:10am
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:01am
Mr Cowsham,
Exactly.
This attitude is one which endangers cyclists too.
I have found that many drivers refuse to accept H.C. para.126.
Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
This is unambiguous, but obeying it would mean, for many drivers, driving more slowly. They consider this an infringement of their rights.
It is disappointing to find a cyclist taking the same view.
Do you ride against the flow of traffic on right hand bends Mike ?
I am here. Where are you?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Red Kite wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:41am
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:33am
So best walking up the middle on those single track, sunken Devon lanes with the vertical sides!
Quite probably, yes!