Walking the wrong way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Walking the wrong way

Post by Cowsham »

Now that the weathers better I see a lot of people out walking but against the flow of traffic on a road with no footpath.

I understand it's so they can see oncoming cars etc but they stay on the right hand side of the road coming up to a right hand bend. ( inside of the bend )

We have a road near us with no footpath but where there is a few walkers. The problem I see is that the road also has a high bank on the side walkers tend to walk against the flow of traffic and there are a few blind bends on the road.

If there is an oncoming car the driver ( to them the bend is a left hand bend ) won't see the walker until it's too late and the walker has nowhere to go since the bank is to their right, the bend is right, they are stood on the right facing the car! If the car has nowhere to go because it's meeting another car on the same bend then there's bound to be a collision between two of the parties.

Similar will apply to cyclists meeting a walker facing them on the left side only there's a little more room since it's a cycle and not a car.

Why are people not told to cross over to the outside of the bend so that all traffic can see them?
I am here. Where are you?
VinceLedge

Re: Walking the wrong way

Post by VinceLedge »

I have seen one or two people do this, you would have thought it would be common sense to be on the outside of a blind bend!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I do try to switch sides usually, but the drawback is (obv) crossing the road twice! I don't know what is in the mind of other peds.

It's still drivers' responsibilty to account for these road situations.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

On country lanes, at least the ones we have round here, which tend to have high hedges and are often sunken, almost every bend is blind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That's it. Drivers just need to remember that they cannot see round corners.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2021, 2:25pm
That's it. Drivers just need to remember that they cannot see round corners.

I was expecting that quote to pop up but if you can't drive around a bend you can't see around then there would be colossal traffic jams.

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side.

People need to be taught how to cross the road early enough to be on the outside of a bend and visible.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You just have to be able to stop in the distance you can see. Not too far from where we used to live the issue was motorbikers using small, country roads as a trace track by cutting corners where possible. You often drive round a blind bend to see two bikers side by side on the wrong side of the road
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Cowsham wrote: 12 May 2021, 4:36pmOr you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side.
If by "creep" you mean driving at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see, then that's exactly what you should do. You are not responsible for the actions of the car behind you. Console yourself with the thought that the pedestrian you are making sure you don't hit has every bit as much right as you have to be there.

Alternatively, confine your driving to long, straight roads and you won't have any need to creep.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As he said just above.
I ofetn chuckle in memory of the time I was told off by a passing driver. I was walking with the flow of traffic , on a wide grassy verge Iand nowt but a hedge on the other side) and a right hand bend. Perfect. He stopped his car, on the the side of the road, the inside of the bend to tell me that I was wrong and he should know as he was a road saftey instructor what ever that might be. I ever so politely pointed out that he had nearly been tail gated and that maybe he should give his "badge" to me. Off he went in a huff.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Yes John exactly

General guidance (1 to 6)
Pavements (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others.

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
keep close to the side of the road.

It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.
awavey

Post by awavey »

its one of my pet peeves when people dont walk facing oncoming traffic on country lanes, and was very noticeable last year in lockdown when people picked up walking as a new hobby, why they dont do those public service campaigns on it anymore I dont know, but then I remember even being taught it at school though tbf we lived in a very rural area.

the key point for me about walking facing traffic is that you can see the hazards approaching so you are aware of whats happening, and can react to them and not be surprised by what you are facing. if your back is to the traffic you may do something by seeing a hazard or obstacle on your route in front of you and step out in a way that immediately puts you into more danger.

yes if corner is so bad visibility wise, or poses more of a risk for other reasons, frequency of traffic, speed, etc, you need to cross to make sure its safe for you to walk around, but once passed the problem, you cross back, again part of the stuff we were taught way back when.

but as a driver or any road user you should never assume there is nothing in your way around a blind bend, it could be a pedestrian, it could just as easily be a fallen tree, animal, slow moving farm machinery.

its about being aware of your surroundings I think, but so many seem to treat a walk in the countryside as being somekind of enclosed park free of all dangers and switch their brains off
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When reading the Highway Code, it's good to use it as a guide to improving your own behaviour, rather than what others should do. In this case put a similar amount of effort into quoting the bits of the HC advising drivers to go carefully.

Re lockdown: social distancing - especially when it was two metres - makes it very difficult to keep to the footway when there are others about. Reduced traffic levels meant some drivers were able to race about, unhindered by congestion.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:28am When reading the Highway Code, it's good to use it as a guide to improving your own behaviour, rather than what others should do. In this case put a similar amount of effort into quoting the bits of the HC advising drivers to go carefully.
I've cycled around a left hand bend and met a person walking on my side of the road. Even at slow speed it's a bit of a shock. The walker has nowhere to go. Education would be a good thing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Walking tests for pedestrians?