Walking the wrong way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Walking the wrong way

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 3:50pm I do drive a car (test passed 1965) and I'm licensed to ride a motorcycle (test passed 1970)

I don't underestimate the effect of being dazzled by the sun. However, I believe that the advice in the HC is for people to follow to improve their own driving or riding rather than a way to shift that onus on others.
I was listening to radio 4 yesterday and it was on about cycling in the Netherlands -- there's much more respect between groups of road users.

One of the things they've done, which may have influenced this, is if there's an accident between a bicycle and a car the onerous is on the car driver to prove his/her innocence. (Maybe Vorpal can confirm)

While I agree with this I know whoever is to blame we as cyclists or walkers usually come out worse and I for one would rather try to remove any factor produced by my actions than rely on someone I don't know to keep me safe in spite of my erroneous actions.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the usual term is "presumed liability" and we've had several threads about that, and different versions of it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, eg:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=145062

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The idea of a walking test is a good one.. People who are found to have foolishly mixed drinking with walking could be charged with P&P i.e pissed and perambulating. They could be required to wear a hi-vis jacket to alert others ,with repeat offenders required to pick up litter. .How about wearing a visible number in case of excessive speed or shoes with insufficient tread?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Those are already laws! Well okay, not the shoes with insufficient tread – as far as I know.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Where do you live-Kanggye?These laws have yet to be implemented here!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Licensing Act 1872, Section 12:
Every person found drunk in any highway or other public place, whether a building or not, or on any licensed premises, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding ten shillings, and on a second conviction within a period of twelve months shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding twenty shillings, and on a third or subsequent conviction within such period of twelve months be liable to a penalty not exceeding forty shillings.Every person who in any highway or other public place, whether a building or not, is guilty while drunk of riotous or disorderly behaviour, or who is drunk while in charge on any highway or other public place of any carriage, horse, cattle, or. steam engine, or who is drunk when in possession of any loaded fire-arms, may be apprehended, and shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding forty shillings, or in the discretion of the court to imprisonment with or without hard labour for any term not exceeding one month.Where the court commits any person to prison for nonpayment of any penalty under this section, the court may order him to be imprisoned with hard labour.
I believe this has been superceded by more modern legislation this century but it was still in force in the 1990s – it used to be referenced in the back of the Highway Code. Don't confuse "very rarely enforced" with "not implemented"!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

While out at 6am this morning ( still dark ) I happened upon a runner, in town, running with the flow of traffic but out in the middle of the road when there was a perfectly good footpath to use.
He had the good sense at least to be sporting a red light on his back.
Had to ting the bell to let him know I was about to overtake him.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:37am While out at 6am this morning ( still dark ) I happened upon a runner, in town, running with the flow of traffic but out in the middle of the road when there was a perfectly good footpath to use.
Yes but did you shake your fist and tell him he should pay bloody road-tax :wink:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hellhound wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:58am
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:37am While out at 6am this morning ( still dark ) I happened upon a runner, in town, running with the flow of traffic but out in the middle of the road when there was a perfectly good footpath to use.
Yes but did you shake your fist and tell him he should pay bloody road-tax :wink:
"Get on the jog path!"
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

He'd only have heard the word "PAY " at the rate I went passed.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:16pm
He'd only have heard the word "PAY " at the rate I went passed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RickH

Post by RickH »

Many runners use the road rather than the pavement (footway) as, despite our complaints as cyclists about the state of the roads, the road has often got a better surface & also has fewer things obstructing it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RickH wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 3:36pm
Many runners use the road rather than the pavement (footway) as, despite our complaints as cyclists about the state of the roads, the road has often got a better surface & also has fewer things obstructing it.
And much lower likelihood of ice at 6:00 am.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Then they should darn well slow down as we expect drivers or cyclists to.