DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've just tried to renew my licence as I'm approaching 70 I get to the end of the form to find that to complete it on line I'll lose a couple of categories i.e. minibus and over 3.5 tons I don't have a HGV but can drive one privately. (grandads rights)
Next I dont have a passport or photo card licence. and there's nothing to say how to proceed.

any ideas out there.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Jdsk

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by Jdsk »

ferrit worrier wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:47am Next I dont have a passport or photo card licence. and there's nothing to say how to proceed.
I'm not sure but I think that you should start here:

"Identity documents needed for a driving licence application"... and scroll down to "If you're a pensioner":
https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ferrit worrier wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:47am I've just tried to renew my licence as I'm approaching 70 I get to the end of the form to find that to complete it on line I'll lose a couple of categories i.e. minibus and over 3.5 tons I don't have a HGV but can drive one privately. (grandads rights)
Can you apply for renewal of those categories by post?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't have either of those.
Note "original".
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.32.32.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:33am I don't have either of those.
Note "original".
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.32.32.png
Would you like help with sorting this out? Or are you making a point?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just been on the .gov site, and it makes no sense at all regarding C1 and D1 ........... which FW is complaining about.

Yes, I'm making a point about this, as it's as clear as mud.

If you go to here:
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
and scroll down to More Information and click it, it says:
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.45.19.png
Click on that, and it gives a page which doesn't give an answer for the over 70s.
https://www.gov.uk/renew-lorry-bus-coac ... 45-or-over

Sounds to me, that a phone call is in order as the website doesn't help.

.................. and I turn 70 in just over 18m time having held a full driving licence since 1970.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Thanks guys the fog is now lifting :D

Jdsk it's both really just got very "Miffed" after spending ages trying to get somewhere and always ending up in the same place.
Cheers Mick I'll try and find a number it't be buried somewhere :lol:
Ta lots everyone :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't forget to get back to this thread when(?) you've sorted all this out.
There's many of us out here with the same question.

I used to drive the local community bus. 15seater. Did it for six or seven years twice or three times a month.
All us drivers were of a "certain" age as we were the only ones with a mini bus entitlement. Younger drivers need to take a separate test so rarely bother.

Some of the drivers when they turned 70, gave up with it. Two reasons:
One, the insurance for them was higher so they felt it would be better if they stopped.
Two, they didn't renew their entitlement - mainly due to DVLA perhaps.

Personally, when I turn 70, I want it completely seamless. Same license, same entitlement, same everything. I'll be greatly miffed if they took some of my entitlements away without my knowledge ................... which is probably what happened to one or two of the community bus drivers.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

C1 and D1 renewal at 70

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
includes:

You cannot use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.

Discussion at MoneySaving Expert:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... ntitlement

(Also covers requirements for tanks.)

Jonathan
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

after another trawl through .gov It became apparent that the easy way was to exchange the paper licence for a photocard one and then go for the over 70's road.

WHAT A PERFORMANCE

so as it stands at the moment paper to photocard applied for £20.00 they send the application docs out, takes about a week, then send back with picture of me, and who knows they might want one of the cat!!!!!at least I've got till 20 July in the meantime I can get my mug shot.

time to get the bike out :oops: second time in 12 months :oops:

I'll keep you informed as how it goes

Cheers Malc
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ferrit worrier wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:32am after another trawl through .gov It became apparent that the easy way was to exchange the paper licence for a photocard one and then go for the over 70's road.
That's what I'd do.

Jonathan

PS: And who knows when the next election might be... ? : - )
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I should by now be on my third over-70 licence as I am 76. As I still had only a paper driving licence when I was 69 I received a paper renewal application form by post automatically and that went well. The only slight glitches were a personal one - struggling to keep my signature within the box - and then getting a kosher mugshot from Max Spielman. The regular shop manager was off and the relief made a big song-and-dance about the camera not being where it should be.

The first renewal again went well. I received the paper application automatically by post and it said the existing photo would be ok. I cut a little paper template for the signature box and bingo.

During lockdown, the DVLA announced that all driving licences would be extended by eleven months and I've not received an application form. The stuff online said renewals could be done at any time online but that requires the applicant to be in the system with a suitable passport.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:51am I should by now be on my third over-70 licence as I am 76. As I still had only a paper driving licence when I was 69 I received a paper renewal application form by post automatically and that went well. The only slight glitches were a personal one - struggling to keep my signature within the box - and then getting a kosher mugshot from Max Spielman. The regular shop manager was off and the relief made a big song-and-dance about the camera not being where it should be.

The first renewal again went well. I received the paper application automatically by post and it said the existing photo would be ok. I cut a little paper template for the signature box and bingo.

During lockdown, the DVLA announced that all driving licences would be extended by eleven months and I've not received an application form. The stuff online said renewals could be done at any time online but that requires the applicant to be in the system with a suitable passport.
It's been quite a journey this morning I checked several weeks ago and the web site intimated that I would get a letter 90 days before my current licence expires. 90 days came and went and still nothing.
It does say in the depths of the website you can use other things instead of the passport. letters from the pension people with your NI number etc, but I wait with baited breath to see what drops on the door mat. meantime I'm off to the local supermarket to get a mug shot .
Malc :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ferrit worrier wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:12pmIt's been quite a journey this morning I checked several weeks ago and the web site intimated that I would get a letter 90 days before my current licence expires. 90 days came and went and still nothing.
It does say in the depths of the website you can use other things instead of the passport. letters from the pension people with your NI number etc, but I wait with baited breath to see what drops on the door mat. meantime I'm off to the local supermarket to get a mug shot .
Malc :D
I understand how important it is for something like this to be right and this is only something of a guess from me but I suspect your 90 days has been automatically delayed by eleven months. You are right about other documents being acceptable to prove ID. I can't remember what I used but it wasn't a problem. When Mrs Thirdcrank's first renewal came up the difficulty was getting something with only her name on because so much is in joint names.
============================================
PS I've just checked and I see the automatic eleven months extension only applied to licences expiring before 31 December 2020
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All good info, and thanks guys.

I have a photocard license which expires the day before my 70th birthday in 2022. Should be valid for ten years when you pay for them, but mine will only be valid for eight years as it was last renewed in 2014. Ten years since I got it, but not valid after 70.
Mrs Mick F's license expires only two years before she's 70, but will have to pay £20 for only the two years.
At least I get eight years out of my £20.

We know people -and there must be millions of them like FW - who don't have a photocard driving licence. When I passed my test (in Wigan) in 1970, I had a little red book. That was handed in when DVLC was formed, and we received a green fold-up thing in a plastic sleeve. They were all valid until the day before your 70th birthday. No charges involved from age 17 to age 70.

Come the photocard and DVLA, we have to renew every ten years and it costs money unless you have a change of address. We had green paper when we moved here, and then soon after we had a change of postcode so could only have a (free) photocard licence ........... and now we're trapped into the phot-renewal system. Renewed twice since then, so they've had £40 each from us so far. Had we not had a change of postcode (or we'd not told them) we'd have saved £80.

Yes, you get free renewals after turning 70, but that doesn't help the renewals in your late 60s and getting your twenty quid's worth.
Mick F. Cornwall