DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by Oldjohnw »

My over 70 licence only covers:
.AM A, B1, B, BE, fjinpq, whatever that is
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the unlikely event you are checking to see if you can drive a steam roller or trolley bus the categories are here

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

It's slightly confusing in that p and q which are lower case categories in the final roundup are shown at the beginning of the list in that link in upper case
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 10:59am I can't see what point you are making .........
I'm not making any point.
Just illustrating what an under-70s DL groups are.

When we were chatting in the pub the other day, I was referencing this thread and one of the over 70s had no idea that he'd lost any entitlements. It came as a complete revelation to him. The other one knew there was a difference, but not what these differences were.

All I was doing was showing what a full DL covers.
I have never taken any steps to preserve my entitlements eg at age 70 because all I want to be able to do is drive a car.
Like you, I don't actually care, but thanks to this thread I'm aware of the changes ............ and no doubt my friends are too now.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nobody should be surprised if they lose entitlements when they renew on the eve of their 70th birthday because they have to take steps to retain them - as discussed above - all of which is explained in the application form, although to be fair, it seems the DVLA may not have been up to the renewal task recently for people who try to retain entitlements. I don't think it's a bad thing that the age 70 threshold is used for a bit of a tidying up exercise so that somebody who is regularly using those entitlements can keep them, but losing them is the default. As I've posted I wrongly got the idea from somewhere that I would lose my "any size" motorbike licence. Having passed in 1970 and having only owned and ridden a BSA Bantam 175 till it needed an MOT at the end of 1972, it's absurd that aged 76 I can still ride a motorbike of any size.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yo Thirdcrank, Len Vale Onslow was re-building and riding motor-cycles when he had already received his "Queen's Telegram", over 100, so you are a spring chicken. Sammy Miller is in his 80's I believe and still feels capable of using Porcupines & and Blown BMW's at a brisk pace!
Knowing when to stop is important, but an arbitrary line in the sand is not always the right way to go.
But the oldsters who once rode a Bonnie yonks back, the become re-born bikers on R1's should be saved from their folly. MM
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Just applied on-line to renew my licence ready for my 73rd birthday. Didn't get shot off into some money grubbing scam, yippee!
I have declared that I am under medical supervision over a benign brain tumour, so may yet get sent through the hoops??? So fingers crossed.
But I do have one particular gripe though? One get drawn into the organ donor mincer, with it being presumed that one will accede to the pressure. I say this because there is no clear route to decline??? As my body ain't perfect I think it would be a waste of time and effort, also I don't wish my family to be troubled.
My tricycles are worth re-cycling, my body bits ain't! :lol: :lol: :lol: . TTFN MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

merseymouth wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 4:38pm One get drawn into the organ donor mincer, with it being presumed that one will accede to the pressure. I say this because there is no clear route to decline???
Did you have an option "I do not want to answer this question now."?

Thanks

Jonathan
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Jonathan, Well I never found such an option? So I say make it clear.
In my case the parts aren't worth the effort of harvesting them. MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thread resurrection, but a slightly different question.

Mrs Mick F has lost her cards. Bank contacted and cards blocked, and they'll be sending replacements.
In the little card carrier, were a debit card and a credit card ........... stopped/sorted .............. but her driving licence photocard as well.

She still has the paper part of the license and she is obviously still licenced to drive until her 70th birthday - four years away.
What are the legal implications of not having the photocard?
Is it worth paying DVLA for a replacement?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 8:38amShe still has the paper part of the license and she is obviously still licenced to drive until her 70th birthday - four years away.
What are the legal implications of not having the photocard?
Is it worth paying DVLA for a replacement?
She is obliged to apply for a replacement but I have no idea of the legal basis for that nor the penalties or relevant offence for not doing it. (It might be as fundamental as not having a licence but I wouldn't expect anyone to treat it the same as driving when you're not entitled to a licence.)

I'd apply immediately:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-repl ... s-to-apply

Jonathan

PS: Of course having read previous threads this might be an opportunity to enter a prolonged correspondence with the DVLA and thereby tie them up and waste their time and our money when they would be better employed in dealing with the multiple backlogs.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Here's one possible offence:

If you’re stopped, the police can ask to see your:
driving licence
insurance certificate
MOT certificate
If you do not have these documents with you, you have 7 days to take them to a police station. You’re breaking the law if you do not show the requested documents within 7 days.

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-wh ... our-rights

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't find anything saying a driver who loses their licence must replace it. A driver must produce their licence within seven days if required by the police in certain circumstances and that must be the first time some people realise they have lost it and I cannot imagine a prosecution of the loser then applied for a replacement and so produced late, always assuming that the licence held but lost covered the driver to drive what they were driving.

I believe that these days the police can check most of this online without seeing the actual licence.

That only leaves the possibility of the licence getting into the possession of a baddy. If it's already officially recorded as missing, then that might give some defence to the licence holder if it was alleged they were complicit in some jiggery pokery.

Other posts faster than mine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC, it was as I thought.
We've had a discussion about DLs before regarding not having one, but still being licensed to drive.
We don't have a TV license but we've paid and the BBC know it, so are licensed.

The cards went missing on Friday early evening but she didn't notice until Saturday afternoon.
If some low-life had them, they would have lost no time in using them contactless as much as possible.
There are zero transactions showing since loss, which means what? Goodness knows! :shock:

Either way, the cards are stopped and the lady on the phone at Natwest confirmed there were no transactions on any account since Friday ........ and that was the one Mrs Mick F did ......... just before she misplaced the card wallet.

As a little bit of info to this, we were in the Rising Sun for the "Friday Five 0'Clock Club" as usual. We ran a tab and paid at the end.
She bought a round and settled up at the same time, and whilst the receipt was being printed, she ferried the drinks to the table. She remembers nothing more about the card wallet other than seeing it on top of the bar next to the till.

I've been in there Saturday and Sunday, and they've looked for the cards and haven't found them, but we're convinced they are still there somewhere, as if anyone had purloined them, they would have used them.

I'll be walking the dog later maybe and I'll call in again and ask again. May not go out as we're expecting a delivery by Hermes.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

".... We don't have a TV license but we've paid and the BBC know it, so are licensed. ...."

Just checking my memory here as I worry about every example of losing it. I thought you did have a TVL but you wrote in to complain when they issued it in your name rather than Mrs MickF.