DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by thirdcrank »

I see a difference between openly offering to provide a service for a fee and promoting it as such, and using a disguised official-looking website to con people into paying for something which is free on the gov.uk www

Re the Post Office checking passport applications specifically, I've only one experience of that, which must be a couple of years ago at least. With the queue for ordinary post office "services" snaking almost into the street, somebody went to the dedicated passport window so the only position dealing with the queue was closed ie abandoned.
========================
rjb

My take on your link is that they are offering - for a fee - to do most of the messing about. I fancy it's a reaction to people who go to the post office and want help with the photo booth and everything else.

It doesn't seem to address your problem - keeping the extra entitlements - at all.
====================================
PS I've just been online using the gov.uk address to renew driving licence over 70 NB I have no passport. Stress levels mounting, especially as it threatens a time out for slow responses. It should be easy - bearing in mind I've lived here since 1975, no change of name, mother's maiden name, sex, whatever but I eventually came to what seemed like a dead end without a passport. About to give up in despair, I noticed a small note saying that applicants over 70 could ignore that page. Perhaps this is all a cunning plan to weed out anybody getting unfit to drive? I doubt it. Anyway, I've had the email saying my application has been successful, subject to verification.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 1:52pm PS I've just been online using the gov.uk address to renew driving licence over 70 NB I have no passport. Stress levels mounting, especially as it threatens a time out for slow responses. It should be easy - bearing in mind I've lived here since 1975, no change of name, mother's maiden name, sex, whatever but I eventually came to what seemed like a dead end without a passport. About to give up in despair, I noticed a small note saying that applicants over 70 could ignore that page. Perhaps this is all a cunning plan to weed out anybody getting unfit to drive? I doubt it. Anyway, I've had the email saying my application has been successful, subject to verification.
Excellent.

It's your last sentence that is one I picked up on.
Was it tongue in cheek?

email saying my application has been successful ............................... subject to verification.

By what?
Passport by any chance? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thank you for submitting your driving licence application online.

Your driving licence application has been submitted for validation checks. The driving licence should arrive in the post within 2 weeks.

If you are still in possession of your old driving licence, cut into two and return it to:

DVLA, Swansea SA99 1ZW
I meant that my submission had been successful ie that it had not bounced because of some error in completion. I'm assuming that the rest is cut-and-dried as there's nothing to query.

I get the impression that they have had to bend to accommodate people over 70 without passports and that's why there's the option to skip the passport page. There are other signs of slipshod amendment to the application form. eg on the Organ donor section, instead of the button to check used elsewhere, you have to click on the wording of your chosen option and that's not clear (or wasn't to me.)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, I'm due to renew for early January, so I'm sniffing around.
Having seen that a number of people have been referred to "Specsavers", to have sight validation verified, I have a question. Do I have to use that specific optometrist chain for a replacement?
I say this as I have used a much longer establish concern for over 55 years, so can they validate my fitness for DVLA?
Also would a report from my ophthalmic consultant at St. Paul's Eye Hospital in Liverpool, where I've been on their books since 1952 prove acceptable?
I say this because I am loathe to go to that Johnny Come Lately, SS!! TTFN MM
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Update on my renewal.

As posted above I renewed online on Thursday afternoon 9 September and my new licence has arrived by post this morning (Monday 13) That's excellent.

One small disappointment is that the new one runs for three years from 9 September, rather than the expiry of the old one at the end of November (including the eleven months covid-related extension) but that's hardly a big deal as these renewals are free and I'd not continue to drive to the next renewal if my eyesight etc didn't meet the qualifying criteria. I applied at the start of the usual 90 day period to have plenty of time in hand if something went wrong with the process and I'm relieved it didn't. It does mean this type of renewal is possible in very short order.

Sorry I'm not in any better position to help with queries about preserving additional entitlements mentioned on this thread or the other.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

merseymouth wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 4:34pm Having seen that a number of people have been referred to "Specsavers", to have sight validation verified, I have a question. Do I have to use that specific optometrist chain for a replacement?
Specsavers were reawarded the DVLA contract in 2019:|
https://www.government-online.net/dvla- ... es-tender/
https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/industry/high ... specsavers

But I don't know if that makes any or all reports from other providers unacceptable.

Advice from Diabetes UK:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-di ... -eye-tests

Jonathan
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Thanks jdsk, Helpful. I do believe that the tests that St Paul's do will exceed the standard set by that particular high street provider, so fingers crossed that I won't have to darken their door?
I certainly believe that all who use vehicle on the road should have a good sight test, which is something that does not appear to properly applied under the current system, so called honesty isn't the best policy! Test all to a proper standard, not just the ability to read a number plate. IGICB MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 9:00am
millimole wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 9:40pm You may jest, but I have a family member who is in the final stages of their probationary period as a police officer, and I asked them how I'd know if their warrant card was genuine - "no idea" was the rather worrying reply.
I am always struck by how, in TV cop shows, the detective flashes their card and the member of the public never scrutinises it, but accepts a glimpse of something in a little wallet.
And it's now hitting the headlines. With good reason.

"People stopped by a lone plain-clothes officer should challenge their legitimacy, the Met Police says.":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58757375? ... medium=RSS

"He (the Policing Minister) said it was "reasonable" for a woman with doubts about a police officer's conduct to make "lines of enquiry", but that "won't be appropriate in every circumstance" because officers "seeking to keep us all safe every day need to be able to go about their business"."

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm really at a loss to understand how that advice would have helped Sarah Everard - confronted by a large man, equiipped with police "appointments" who had gone to great lengths to plan and prepare an attack.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 12:04pm I'm really at a loss to understand how that advice would have helped Sarah Everard - confronted by a large man, equiipped with police "appointments" who had gone to great lengths to plan and prepare an attack.
And the Metropolitan Police have just suggested flagging down a bus to help:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16298303/ ... h-everard/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Metropolitan Police statement:
https://news.met.police.uk/news/metropo ... ens-434739

And DAG's response:
"Why the advice of the Metropolitan Police that those concerned by wrongful arrest ‘wave down a bus’ is besides the point":
https://davidallengreen.com/2021/10/why ... the-point/

Includes:

"Imagine the scenes of a person challenging what may be a lawful arrest by stopping a bus and getting the bus driver involved."
"It would probably end up with the hapless bus driver being arrested as well."

"Anyone challenging arrest can say hello to the offence of resisting or wilfully obstructing a constable in the execution of their duty."
"They may also say hello to Mr Taser."

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One simple - to me - point is that for decades governments and particularly the Home Office have held the view that uniformed police patrols are a waste of money. There has been an inexorable shift from the "Primary object of an efficient police" - the prevention of crime - to the next best thing - the detection of offenders.

IMO this murder illustrates what I'm trying to say. This crime, committed initially in a public place, was not prevented, but the detection was successful.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

What have the last few of posts got to do with the DVLA? Senior Moments?? MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Was in the pub last week and discussing driving licences for the over 70s.
We compared the groups allowed to drive.

I'm under 70 and the two chaps I was discussing with are both over 70.
Their licences are the same as each other's ............... but mine - like there's WAS - is quite different.

Here's the relevant part of the B side of mine.
Maybe compare an over 70s one with it. If anyone would like to post a piccy of their groups for comparison purposes?
IMG_0811.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't see what point you are making and I'm too idle to photograph the back of my licence, partly because the gunge they used to stick it to the covering letter smudges the back.

I passed a (manual) car test in 1965 and the motorbike in 1970. I have never taken any steps to preserve my entitlements eg at age 70 because all I want to be able to do is drive a car.

My current entilements are AM/ A/ B1/ B/ BE (< 10.1.75 ie I can tow any size trailer ) / fklnpq.