DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by al_yrpal »

TC, I too had to change the address on mine which came back very promptly, hers didnt. It took almost a year to be resolved and then only by our MP. It caused a hell of a lot of tears and anguish and when we read that someone else had contacted their MP to get a delayed licence renewed that we did it after saying it had been lost and paying £25 to get it replaced. After the new licence arrived we got a cheque for £25 from the DVLC!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Al

I can only commiserate. As I must have posted before our biggest problems were with the HMRC - the Inland Revenue as was. In spite of living here since 1975, and NI contributions going back further - ironically to a time when she was an executive officer at whatever they called the social security ministry in those days - as well as income tax etc., - their contractedout ID system could not identify her when we had a higher-rate tax query. (The checking is done by credit reference agencies so if you have no history of credit they cannot believe that you exist.)

None of which alters anything I've said about the renewal of driving licences online.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

TC, its just speculation but I imagine her application was buried in a pile of someone working from home who had gone on the sick. :(

Big organisations eh?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've lived in France for 20 years and never thought about changing my UK licence to a French one for years. I knew using a UK licence with my daughters address was illegal but after 3 failed attempts to go French I gave up.
At the start of this year I decided to have another go. The French system ANTS is all on line and should be straightforward. My UK licence ran out in October but I thought allowing 6 months to get one from the French would be ample time.
As the months ticked by and with no progress being made I was in danger of having to stop driving.
In the end I applied for a renewal from the DVLA. My licence turned up at my daughters within a week.
Two weeks later my French licence arrived! Six months seems a long time and compared to the DVLA pretty useless.
I'm now in possession of two licences! I suppose I should send the UK one back but I may just keep it as a souvenir.
millimole

Post by millimole »

On the Sunday before our recent holiday flight to Spain on the Saturday I realised I almost certainly would need a photo driving licence (apparently because of Brexit a lot of car hire firms won't accept the old paper licence any more).
So more in hope than anything I filled in the online form to replace my paper licence - that was Sunday.
The new photo licence arrived on the Wednesday!

I am concerned about reports of folk accidentally losing their motorcycle entitlement when they renew at 70 - any advice on how I can pre-empt any issues?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

millimole wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 9:01am On the Sunday before our recent holiday flight to Spain on the Saturday I realised I almost certainly would need a photo driving licence (apparently because of Brexit a lot of car hire firms won't accept the old paper licence any more).
So more in hope than anything I filled in the online form to replace my paper licence - that was Sunday.
The new photo licence arrived on the Wednesday!

I am concerned about reports of folk accidentally losing their motorcycle entitlement when they renew at 70 - any advice on how I can pre-empt any issues?
I assumed I would lose my unlimited motorcycle entitlement at 70 and as I'd not ridden one for nearly 45 years I wasn't bothered, but it's still on my licence. AFAIK, the entitlements you need to confirm you want to retain - minibuses and some goods vehicles - require a paer application ie they cannot be renewed online
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Photograph both sides of the licence card and then print a summary off https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the interests of completeness, mrs thirdcrank's renewed licence arrived in today's post. Bearing in mind recent industrial action, it couldn't have come quicker.