Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
wjhall

Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Post by wjhall »

... wrote: Can you give an update of progress on the Tutshill sluice crossing of the Yeo?
Has any work started?
I assume you are basing the enquiry on the council website statement that funding is available (1,3) to complete the work for which planning permission was granted in 2018 (2) and that work would start in March 2021. Unfortunately that is all I can offer, so until someone in the know replies or someone goes round to Kingston Seymour to check, we are in the dark.

The last definite information I had was about the time planning permission was granted, when it seemed to be hung up on the question of passing through a field full of cows.

This is a classic example of a typical British failure in project planning. That problem could have been spotted using a couple of sheets of A4 when it was first thought of, or no later than local reaction to the proposals. The same goes for the need to build a new bridge to separate from farm traffic, and the Ramsar issue; these are the kind of things that would show up with a map and a checklist. The detailed design submitted for planning was also flawed, the cattle grids drawn were a type specifically regarded as dangerous for cyclists.

At the time planning permission was granted the doubt seemed to be so large that the progenitor was beginning to talk of a completely different route along the motorway. I assume the belief that funding has been granted means that work is now proceeding on the Tutshill sluice route, with or without a solution to the cattle problem.

(1) https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/sites/def ... 2019_0.pdf
(2) https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/loca ... go-2339436
(3) https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/pari ... cle-route/
wjhall

Re: Tutshill sluice Yeo crossing works

Post by wjhall »

The current issue of the North Somerset council newsletter claims that works have started, with the aim of opening next summer. (1)

(1) https://www.northsomersetlife.co.uk/new ... le-route-0
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thankyou for that update, I've gone grey whilst waiting. It's almost 35 years since the route was proposed and blocked by the nimby's. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

wrote: Thankyou for that update, I've gone grey whilst waiting. It's almost 35 years since the route was proposed and blocked by the nimby's. :lol:
I did go down the road to Yeo Bank Farm last summer, to see if any construction had started. As it happened I fell into conversation with a neighbouring farmer herding cattle down the road. He was familiar with the general outlines of the project, and the bridge arrangements, but did not know anything about the cattle interface question. He suggested that I ask the Yeo Bank farmer, who it seems was also herding the same cattle, just ahead, but I declined to interrupt his work with my curiousity.

I do not know whether the Yeo Bank farmer was one of the "NIMBYs", it would be quite reasonable for him to be so, but I did notice that there is now a caravan site at Yeo Bank farm, which I think is a development in recent years, so if he is now running a tourist business he might well be in favour of a tourist route. I have not before seen anything but a closed gate here.

210726-2763 Yeo Bank Farm-all quiet.JPG

NIMBYISM can be a fairly logical reaction to a development proposed by someone else with possible inconvenience to the objector and no obvious advantage. Adverse reactions can be increased by promoters not attempting to foresee problems and consider solutions, and by lack of consultation or persuasion.

The first is partly a result of promoters getting bees in bonnets and failing to stand back and apply some critical analysis to their projects to identify problems and devise solutions. I can only see the unsolved cattle problem at the time of the planning application as being in this class.

Sustrans, who I assume are at the bottom of this also seem to be getting a bit of a reputation round here for dropping applications onto local people without any real effort at consultation or explanation. I believe planning permission being rejected for the route round Chew Valley Reservoir partly resulted from lack of consultation.
Last edited by wjhall on 26 Jan 2022, 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Over the years several cafes have opened on both sides of the sluice in anticipation of the opening of the route and subsequently closed when it never happened. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

wrote: Over the years several cafes have opened on both sides of the sluice...
Interesting, I had never noticed. I would have thought that a well advertised place with a garden in the Kingston Seymour area might have done reasonable trade even now, the K-S loop is already fairly popular for itself, but I suppose it would also attract motor trade, which would resurrect one of the earliest objections, that the path would be something people would drive to, and park on marshland roads for.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wjhall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 4:22pm

Interesting, I had never noticed. I would have thought that a well advertised place with a garden in the Kingston Seymour area might have done reasonable trade even now, the K-S loop is already fairly popular for itself, but I suppose it would also attract motor trade, which would resurrect one of the earliest objections, that the path would be something people would drive to, and park on marshland roads for.
Enough park on the lane from Clevedon for the various stables along there which can be quite a hazzard.

There was a cafe place open near KS last autumn when i did the ride down the lane - seemed to be quite busy.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Further delays. Opening now scheduled for sometime next year. Don't hold your breath.
"Weston to Clevedon Multi Access Route ("Pier to Pier Way" / Tutshill Sluice) - Kingston Seymour Parish Council" https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/our- ... cle-route/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 7:58pm Further delays. Opening now scheduled for sometime next year. Don't hold your breath.
"Weston to Clevedon Multi Access Route ("Pier to Pier Way" / Tutshill Sluice) - Kingston Seymour Parish Council" https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/our- ... cle-route/
Lets hope its worth the wait!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What a delay.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a unique opportunity to see the route last week as i returned into Bristol airport.
IMG_3881 forum.jpg
To get your bearings, Clevedon is the built up area towards the top of the image (north) with Wales across the water.

A) is the Tutshill Sluice crossing that the new Pier to Pier route uses
B) is the new farm bridge that has been the cause of the delays
C) is the new path from the south

The latest information is that a 'soft' opening will occur in the next few weeks before a grand opening in June/July once all the signage is in place. Apparently the delays are due to the installation of the new farm bridge not being completed, i can't really see how this impacts opening the bike path as the work at the sluice had been complete for some time (according to the parish council).
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hurray it's almost ready. A few more weeks won't matter as I've been waiting for over 30 years. :D

What a pity they lost the original bridge.
Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway
Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Should be a good turn-out.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a look 'on the ground' today.

The route could be open now - except the southern end is very firmly fenced off. I must admit to taking a bit of a flier to see if you could get through, i'm sure i'm not the first, nor will i be the last.

Apart from the lovely new lane on the south side, almost to the river, the route across the two sluices and connection to Yeo Bank Lane is 'surfaced' with a loose stony rubble, i hope its not the final surface!

There is currently no sign of any work being carried out, so much for the ' finish off in April/May', i'll not be holding my breath.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

I went to look at the north side yesterday. I could not tell whether a cycle route is imminent. This is the exit point at the corner for Tutshill Farm/Mendip Farm. There is tarmac but I do not know whether it has always been there or has been laid for the path. The array of 'private' notices suggest that no one expects a cycle route soon. In fact they could remain, the path is presumably permissive, so the land will remain private and there will still be no public right of way. The most recent Kingston Seymour update (1) refers to a public opening being targetted in July, without mentioning which year.

(1) https://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/our- ... cle-route/
230619-5204 Tutshill Farm entrance.JPG