Has cycling's 'new golden age' been and gone?

Bmblbzzz

Re: Has cycling's 'new golden age' been and gone?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't know whether it's a big deal but it's certainly a deal. Paper production requires energy and raw materials and produces waste. It's also quite polluting of water, partly due to the cellulose paper is made from, partly due to the bleaches and so on. As with so many things, it's not the product, but the by-products that are the problem, and recycling does nothing to reduce them (because they have already been produced by the time the product gets to you).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 1:48pm I don't know whether it's a big deal but it's certainly a deal. Paper production requires energy and raw materials and produces waste. It's also quite polluting of water, partly due to the cellulose paper is made from, partly due to the bleaches and so on. As with so many things, it's not the product, but the by-products that are the problem, and recycling does nothing to reduce them (because they have already been produced by the time the product gets to you).
Fair points. :thumbsup:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Cyclists now outnumber drivers on many A-roads, Department for Transport figures reveal":
https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-n ... ads-289563

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Excess population is obviously the problem. There wasn't this issue 200 years ago was there? 6%
What no one ( or few) will do is admit this. We live too long, longer than the natual life span of our bodies hence the need for medical care. I see the suggestion that a reduced population would create problems as missing the point. Remove all the less important jobs and there would be people. Eg All fast food workers could be care workers/lorry drivers etc. Get rid of those pointless web designers/ on line game creaters etc.
Oh no, we can't upset anyone can we? :lol:
But that is the issue. Too many people.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:39pm Get rid of those pointless web designers
The irony of this message being posted on a designed website is delicious, but most of that message is junk.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 6:51pm
mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:39pm Get rid of those pointless web designers
The irony of this message being posted on a designed website is delicious, but most of that message is junk.
You owe the forum an explanation, mjr. Which bit isn't junk?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 4:30pm "Cyclists now outnumber drivers on many A-roads, Department for Transport figures reveal":
https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-n ... ads-289563

Jonathan
That's remarkable. Hooray! :D And I think shows the value of consistent provision, a network rather than a series of lanes. I'd like to know which places, if any, were outside the London bubble though.

Ed: I see two were in Oxford.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:18pmI see two were in Oxford.
Thanks.

I haven't got access to the Times: does it say which?

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:18pm I'd like to know which places, if any, were outside the London bubble though.
Definitely been a substantial increase in Northumberland, over the past 12 years. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon yesterday; but came across eight cyclists on a short circular (31 miles). 5 heading towards town within 2 miles of leaving, another 2 further out, 1 on the "wrong" side of the moor, too far out to have got there easily

2 were pure roadies, 3-4 road related users, the final out on a country ride but some distance from town.

It's incredible; I did have a couple of dedicated years 10-12 years back, at least 8000-10000 miles annually. Seeing a single cyclist on a 60-70 circular, would have been a noted event. To see a cyclist on every other 30-40 mile ride is notable
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

On line and bike shops are getting supplies back to normal. So hopefully people will stop stealing my bikes. The trains and cyclists on roads in my area are also slowly getting back to normal.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

briansnail wrote: 5 Feb 2022, 3:58pm On line and bike shops are getting supplies back to normal. So hopefully people will stop stealing my bikes. The trains and cyclists on roads in my area are also slowly getting back to normal.
Same here

I am here. Where are you?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 5 Feb 2022, 6:07pm
Same here

You have to admire Edinburgh cyclists: shorts n t-shirts in February. Global warming?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Go on. Which bit isn't junk? :D