How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve just taken another ‘off’. A *****y e-scooter took me out. It was illegal ( not part of a trial ) as well. Fortunately there was a police presence nearby. One seized illegal scooter, and hopefully a nice big fine too. I’m not too damaged and the bike went down on the cheaper ( NDS ) side. Fortunately it wasn’t the Bianchi either.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 12:59pm I'm a bit puzzled.
I disconnected the cable to the rear light. I have a connector half way as the frame is separable.
Still no front light.

I removed the front wheel and mounted it in the wheel-stand, spun the wheel with a multimeter against the contacts. No issues, the dynamo is chucking out the volts.

Connected a spare front light and spun the wheel, and the lamp came on.
I took off the front light from the bike and did the same experiment. The light came on.
Put the wheel back, connected the front light with nothing else connected, and nothing!
Gave it "good looking at" and tried again, and it worked. Tried again and again and again, and each time it worked.

Found broken connections to the rear light, so checked all the soldered connections, and renewed most of them with new heatshrink. By now, I've spent three hours doing all this!

Put it all back together, confident that it's correct and good, but when I spun the wheel ............ nothing.
More checking, and finding nothing amiss, I spun again and all is well! :shock:

I gave up at that point and came in for lunch. :lol:
Sounds like an intermittent fault with either the wires or the wheel generator.

Put the spare light on with everything else the same -- you'll probably find the lights will either still be off or will go off at some point ie fault with Gen or wires from it.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If the two lamps are in parallel ( most likely ) then a short + to -- or + to frame if negative is frame will short out any power the Gen makes and could be detrimental to the generator so don't run it too long.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Give the light a shake and see if you can detect anything rattling inside. My B&M light failed after an off. Some chips broke off the circuit board internally making it work intermittently. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Going to be having a fettle later today. Awful weather outside, so I'll be fettling in the spare bedroom!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Found this issue.
Not easy to fix.

I have a thread on here somewhere(!) about feeding the cable up through the RH fork from the hub dynamo to the front lamp via the weld breather holes.

When the nice lady who helped me mop up my blood and wheeled my Moulton off the road and leant it up, she had turned the handlebars through 180deg. She and Mrs Mick F loaded it into our car, but the front wheel was still 180deg out and went a bit further round. I think the cable up through the fork has been stretched and the connection lost somewhere inside.

No continuity on one of the feeder pair.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 10:25am Found this issue.
Not easy to fix.

I have a thread on here somewhere(!) about feeding the cable up through the RH fork from the hub dynamo to the front lamp via the weld breather holes.

When the nice lady who helped me mop up my blood and wheeled my Moulton off the road and leant it up, she had turned the handlebars through 180deg. She and Mrs Mick F loaded it into our car, but the front wheel was still 180deg out and went a bit further round. I think the cable up through the fork has been stretched and the connection lost somewhere inside.

No continuity on one of the feeder pair.
That'll do it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

After checking, I found the co-ax cable I'd used to be too brittle, so replaced it.
I'll carry on with this subject in the linked thread.
viewtopic.php?t=119835
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 12:10pm After checking, I found the co-ax cable I'd used to be too brittle, so replaced it.
I'll carry on with this subject in the linked thread.
viewtopic.php?t=119835
Use two lengths of test lead wire if you want very flexible cable.

https://cpc.farnell.com/concordia-techn ... U0QAvD_BwE
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Sil ... 635-2958-0

I'd go for 12 awg -- they have orange and blue left for + and --

You can buy in 1m or 5m lengths

£3.30 for 1m free postage
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

Havent been out since i burnt myself badly a few weeks ago, so great no crashes. But funily enough i just came across a picture of my first "touring" bike in 2010, after maybe 15 years of just dieselling.

Bought a brand new Edinburgh Bicycle coop Revolution Country Traveller bike, in maybe 6 months it had pretty much fallen apart (sent it back to them twice in this time, hubs, spokes , stis, brakes, with terrible customer service to boot), then going down the hill to Seaton in Cornwall,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36379 ... 384!8i8192

had the brakes on fair and the forks just folded up under me. The bus driver right behind me was proper on it and stopped in time. a few minutes earlier i had been going 40+ down a long hill.
After heavy braking down a
After heavy braking down a
Glad I had the kids with me to help out!
Glad I had the kids with me to help out!
Es un Escandalo!
Es un Escandalo!
Needless to say the Edinburgh Bike Coop refused outright to admit any liability, but did give me a refund which was the least they could do. Then I got a lovely 2H super galaxy which i wish i still had. Im worried to go out on anything less than a thorn raven these days...
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Ah Edinburgh bike Co-op...! I've had two in front of me, and decided to pass on the both of them. AFAIK they were one of the first British Big bike retailers to import and brand their own frames. These were job lots sourced from China, when there really wasn't the same QC as there is now (imho the Chinese are making some of the best steel, Ti and carbon frames in the world nowadays).

In a word, they were crap. The last one I looked at had hole in the weld at the head tube lug. I know a guy imported no name aluminium frames from China in the late 90s and they suffered similar QC issues, but they were extremely cheap (to the importer) to have landed in the UK. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Chinese steel or carbon frames now. I bought this lovely carbon gravel disc frame last year and built it up mostly with Dura Ace and Ultegra and I've to to say one of the best rides. A great all day tourer as well. And a pleasure to work with, went together very easily.
Last edited by Slowtwitch on 19 Feb 2022, 6:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Full build, 8.2kg
Attachments
1645252322499.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Almost taken off today in town by a fiat 500 driver. Looked to be a wee lass behind the wheel.

She overtook me and immediately turned left into lidl car park. I braked hard -- don't know how I didn't hit the left side of her car. There were loads of witnesses and I could see them gasp as it happened.

This was one of those occasions where there were too many people on the shared use footpath to cycle on.