How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pendodave

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Pendodave »

I had one last year, more of a toppling off than a crash as it was during a very slow speed turn in a road which had some loose chippings.
Still not great to hit the deck and, despite mitts, my fingers managed to pick up a couple of scrapes.
Falling into a hard surface from a height is never a good thing. I felt a bit discombobulated for a while.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Pendodave wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 11:44am I had one last year, more of a toppling off than a crash as it was during a very slow speed turn in a road which had some loose chippings.
Still not great to hit the deck and, despite mitts, my fingers managed to pick up a couple of scrapes.
Falling into a hard surface from a height is never a good thing. I felt a bit discombobulated for a while.
This is how I felt after my first proper fall. Wheels out from underneath me at slow speed. All of the impact was downwards which seemed to hit harder... Felt quite winded for the rest of the day, which wasn't ideal as I was starting gas chromatography training that day. :lol:
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I actually forgot I fell off once last year, at walking pace, stopping at a cafe , went to stop on thick gravel, back slid from under me and I collapsed in a heap, dignity was the only thing hurt!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Too many crashes due to an inability to unclip the Looks. Other crashes were mainly due to dogs taking me off the bike.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 4:33pm Too many crashes due to an inability to unclip the Looks. Other crashes were mainly due to dogs taking me off the bike.
Ah no! Which looks did you have? I had the Keo’s before very recently trying SPD’s and they were adjustable - chucked them down to their lowest force required to unclip and they were positively easy. In fact, I’ve just adjusted the SPD’s in the same way because they were a little tough to unclip. Now they’re a dream.
VinceLedge wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 3:58pm I actually forgot I fell off once last year, at walking pace, stopping at a cafe , went to stop on thick gravel, back slid from under me and I collapsed in a heap, dignity was the only thing hurt!
Oh yeah that’s sure to dent the ego! :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 4:33pm Too many crashes due to an inability to unclip the Looks. Other crashes were mainly due to dogs taking me off the bike.
The dogs see you coming -- " there's that silly Tigger again let's pull him off the bike - we'll have a good laugh at him trying to get out of those foot muzzles"
I am here. Where are you?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

"Oh no! Which looks did you have?"

I have the KEO's. I now have them set at the loosest setting even though that provides more twist than I'd like. Most of the problems with unclipping for me has been on a steep slope when deciding that it is time to start walking. As you know, unclippping requires a twist of the foot, which on a level ground is okay, but on a steep hill, stop pedaling and forward motion ceases and any resistance to the foot twisting attempt will result in a tip over to the ground. Ouch!
Last edited by Tiggertoo on 12 Jan 2022, 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Cowsham wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 8:53pm
The dogs see you coming -- " there's that silly Tigger again let's pull him off the bike - we'll have a good laugh at him trying to get out of those foot muzzles"
Getting knocked to the ground by a rush of dogs will take care of the 'foot muzzles'.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:12pm
I have the KEO's.
In which case, which cleats do you have (colour)? If I remember correctly, there’s black that has no float, grey that is 4 degrees and red that is 9 degrees. 4 degrees was a good amount for me, plenty to have a comfortable lateral movement but not requiring a large sideways throw to unclip.
I do understand what you mean about coming to a stop. I’ve found that learning to track-stand, or practicing unclipping while practically stationary, does help. Hoping you manage to work it out!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:32pm
Cowsham wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 8:53pm
Getting knocked to the ground by a rush of dogs will take care of the 'foot muzzles'.
They chow them off you ? -- where do you ride? Russia?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Benz3ne wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:19am
I have the KEO's.
In which case, which cleats do you have (colour)? If I remember correctly, there’s black that has no float, grey that is 4 degrees and red that is 9 degrees. 4 degrees was a good amount for me, plenty to have a comfortable lateral movement but not requiring a large sideways throw to unclip.
I do understand what you mean about coming to a stop. I’ve found that learning to track-stand, or practicing unclipping while practically stationary, does help. Hoping you manage to work it out!
I have the red cleats with 9 degree option. Plenty of float and as you say it is important to adjust them to the loosest setting. I do believe my issue is mostly that I tend to lift my foot at the same time as twisting the shoe, mainly due to being concerned the damn things won't release. I'm working on it. :roll:
I have Looks on most of my bikes but the ones that have SPD's are easiest to release.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Benz3ne wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 11:05am
eileithyia wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:55am This year, so far none...but it's a bit soon.... :lol: :lol:
I would've said the same before yesterday morning... :lol:

Hope you're ok
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tiggertoo wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Benz3ne wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:19am
I have the KEO's.
I have the red cleats with 9 degree option. Plenty of float and as you say it is important to adjust them to the loosest setting. I do believe my issue is mostly that I tend to lift my foot at the same time as twisting the shoe, mainly due to being concerned the damn things won't release. I'm working on it. :roll:
I have Looks on most of my bikes but the ones that have SPD's are easiest to release.
I've been using step in pedals for something like 35 years the last time i had a release issue was due to loss of a cleat bolt which caused the cleat to jam the mechanism that was on Deore SPD's, the only time i can recall having an issue with Look road system was the first time i raced with them - i forgot what i was supposed to do to release my foot!

i'm happiest when my feet are held quite tight, my best bike has Keo carbon blades with 12Nm plates, 0 float cleats by preference, you need to stamp into them but release is no extra effort or thought. It's so much automatic to me that i struggle to understand why people struggle with them - i guess all i can offer is, keep practicing :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Almost an off today passing through town. Although it's been dry all day today, which is rare, the roads have not dried much.

There is a grimy and, as I found out going round a 90 left, a greasy slippy surface.

At about 18 MPH both wheels of my mtb slide and I'm meeting a massive lorry.

Thankfully the wheels gripped enough to stay upright. Phew! :shock:
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

eileithyia wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 8:23pm
Benz3ne wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 11:05am
eileithyia wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:55am This year, so far none...but it's a bit soon.... :lol: :lol:
I would've said the same before yesterday morning... :lol:

Hope you're ok
Very kind, thank you. All good really. Small graze on hand and knee healing well, neck was a little stiff on one side the following day only and bruise on my hip is uncomfortable to lie on but more than manageable.
Not too bad all-up, and I can deal with pain pretty well.