How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Benz3ne

How many crashes this year?

Post by Benz3ne »

This might be a fun one!
How many crashes/falls have you had this year?
Any put you out for any length of time? Bike damage? You name it!

I’ll start. 3 so far. I’ve started cycling around 12 weeks ago having not been on a bike for about a decade (during my teens). Cycling now as my commute, working towards 4x weekly (around 6.5mi each way, down to around 22-24 minutes there, 28-30 minutes back).
I went straight in for clipless shoes, so had the mandatory tumble on them on my first ride with them. Stopped at a light and just didn’t unclip, laughed it off.
Went a good while without a fall thereafter until Tuesday last week - tired cycle, coming to a stop and deciding on either grabbing a pedestrian crossing or unclipping… eventually doing neither.
Then Thursday last week. Wet day and wheels just went out from underneath me on some smooth brick-like pavement. Hit the ground hard, cutting my hand and knee, bruising and grazing my hip and puncturing my tyre. Cycled about a mile before realising the tyre was getting flat then walked the remaining mile into work. Patched up my inner tube and cycled home on low pressure after using a hand pump. Was back on the bike properly the following Tuesday :)
So that’s 3 for me! It’s taught me to unclip early and more frequently - it’s easy enough to clip back in so why not just unclip, right?!
[XAP]Bob

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

None - well, no falls on the trike anyway. Fall over multiple times a day on my feet
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

None.
Last fell off around 25 yrs ago with the mandatory initial clipless lesson.

Edit:
That’s not true :P
I came off on ice 2018
Last edited by Paulatic on 19 Jun 2021, 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

None. It's 14 months since I last rode the bike.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

None this year thankfully. The last one was in September: a face plant into a peat bog near Loch Garten :lol:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

A perspective just today from the young Australian racing pro cyclist / legend Sarah Gigante - kinda redefines the word 'perspective'...
Someone crashed in front of me at Flèche [La Flèche Wallonne], leading to my spectacular flip over the handlebars and a broken fibula, collarbone, and elbow. Ouch! The only positive I saw at the time was that I had something silly to boast about … it’s actually a bit of a problem in cycling and probably shouldn’t be encouraged, but I will admit to being slightly proud of my stupidity at getting back on the bike and successfully chasing back to the peloton with my broken arm and leg.
"Ouch!"

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/sarah-g ... ken-bones/
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

2 minor off's on frosty ground and 2 major off's inside the last 6 years.

One in a forest with mountain bike and one on the road with same bike. First major was a head injury but the second and recent one was much worse and will be off bike for 6 weeks at least till my bones and lung mends up.
I am here. Where are you?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:35pm 2 minor off's on frosty ground and 2 major off's inside the last 6 years.

One in a forest with mountain bike and one on the road with same bike. First major was a head injury but the second and recent one was much worse and will be off bike for 6 weeks at least till my bones and lung mends up.
Good luck with your recovery, Cowsham. It's too easy to joke about it if it's not someone we 'know'.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I am not going to upset the road fairies by commenting :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:50pm
Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:35pm 2 minor off's on frosty ground and 2 major off's inside the last 6 years.

Good luck with your recovery, Cowsham. It's too easy to joke about it if it's not someone we 'know'.
Thanks Kyle -- things are a lot more settled and pain greatly reduced. I remember when I was about 25 having a much higher speed crash off my racer and rolling as over tit a long way down the road ( well actually down the footpath cos that's where I happened to land from the roadside ). Got up gave myself a shake and carried the badly buckled bike home.

Don't crash when your a man of a certain age -- we don't bounce like that anymore.
I am here. Where are you?
panda

Post by panda »

None. Though I very nearly ran into the back of my wife at a junction in a classic "but I thought you were moving off" shunt. I'm sure the coppers in the car behind me would have found that highly amusing.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

None for me this year ( touch wood ). I very nearly had a bad one last week. There’s a notorious crossroad junction on a route I use a lot ( Ipley Heath in the New Forest). Some absolute plank in an MPV type thing was approaching the junction from the left, I could tell from the engine note that he had his foot down and wasn’t going to stop ( at the clearly marked stop line / sign ) so I sat up and slowed down. Sure enough he flew straight across without so much as a lift / look. The sooner they get that junction staggered the happier I’ll be.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As discussed here?
viewtopic.php?p=1473523#p1473523

Very interesting.

Jonathan
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Well, for starters - get well soon all those who have been unfortunate to have crashes both major and minor.
Secondly, it's damn reassuring that most all of you have not had a crash in some time!
I'm sure as time passes my rate of crashing (read: tumbling gracefully during standstill) will decrease significantly. I'm, fortunately, yet to be in any significant crashes, or anything involving anyone else so I'll cling on to that for as long as I can.

Re: the 'knowing someone' bit, I'm all too familiar with. My best friend had a tumble during a race whereby he is now paraplegic. He's since taken up para-sports and will be competing in Tokyo for the rowing squad. It highlights for me that humans are, largely, an adaptable species.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

None on the bike but then did not make first 3 months of the year in cycling mode before I had a fall on the stairs at home and broke my tib and fib...... now back to zwifitng, awaiting physio assessment tomorrow, and done 2 short road rides in the past 10 days.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells