How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Benz3ne

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Benz3ne »

I've upped my tally today. Perhaps one of the more uncomfortable ones to date.
Car was in front of me down a narrow, winding road that I frequent. I was, what I thought was a reasonable distance, behind them and they weren't going particularly fast - perhaps 16-17mph.
Lorry came around the corner and the car slammed on in front of me. They had a lot of room to spare in front of them, given the lorry had stopped also. Perhaps 8m or so.
Regardless, I locked up my brakes but went into the back of them. I've definitely stopped in a shorter time whilst travelling faster so I'm not entirely sure what happened in this instance.
Went into the back of their car, helmet against their rear window and bike into their bumper. I have a sore shoulder from bracing myself to impact, and the top of my ear is a little uncomfortable. Initial inspection showed their car was fine, they asked if I was okay and I returned the question, and we were happy to go on our ways.
I continued down the path and onto the local sea-front promenade. I realised at this point that my shifting was a little poor. Derailleur a little 'squiff', not much of a problem.
Oh wait, what is that? A mark on my frame? No, a dent... wait. Two dents. Top tube and down tube are both bent. The bike is a steel Charge Plug so it might be salvageable but I'm still annoyed at the outcome.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Benz3ne wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 11:18am I've upped my tally today.

Oh wait, what is that? A mark on my frame? No, a dent... wait. Two dents. Top tube and down tube are both bent. The bike is a steel Charge Plug so it might be salvageable but I'm still annoyed at the outcome.
Should've gone for carbon then you'd be sure it was banjaxed. :lol:
Glad to hear you're all right anyway.
I am here. Where are you?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 11:52am
Benz3ne wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 11:18am I've upped my tally today.

Should've gone for carbon then you'd be sure it was banjaxed. :lol:
Glad to hear you're all right anyway.
That was my first thought after the incident before "how much is this going to set me back, anyway?!" :lol:
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

I refuse to comment, as it will likely attract the attention of the 'Crash Fairy' to my front wheel. (Turns thrice, spits twice, cheese for the blind mice).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

This guys had a bad off due to a motorist pulling out on him. His injuries are very bad but what shocks me is the unwillingness of doctors to give him an operation to fix his badly broken shoulder.

https://youtu.be/6Ma0Y9-X-DY

The follow up video about his insurance claim is disconcerting too.

https://youtu.be/wdKXYn6hN1M

The penalty for the driver ?
https://youtu.be/YAnlGh4nIlE

What penalty ????
Last edited by Cowsham on 19 Sep 2022, 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:33am... but what shocks me is the unwillingness of doctors to give him an operation to fix his badly broken shoulder.
What features of the injury led you to conclude that fixation would have improved the outcome?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:54am
Cowsham wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:33am... but what shocks me is the unwillingness of doctors to give him an operation to fix his badly broken shoulder.
What features of the injury led you to conclude that fixation would have improved the outcome?

Thanks

Jonathan
With the collarbone being broken in 4 pieces surely fixation would prevent shortening -- I assume it's 3 breaks like a Z so shortening is a high possibility and if the ac joint is still in tact that would explain the scapula being pulled forward as he shows in the second video. I think at least some kind of shoulder bracing should be done to try to keep the broken bits aligned but an op to fit a plate would be better -- then a later op to remove the plate.

They told me ( thank goodness it was only one collarbone break although the ac process was also broken ) they wouldn't do the plating because of the cost of two operations. I was shocked but at least mine had the chance of a good outcome even though in 6 weeks it hadn't healed. Thankfully when I completely immobilized the arm and shoulder for another 6 weeks it did eventually heal.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:12pm
With the collarbone being broken in 4 pieces surely fixation would prevent shortening -- I assume it's 3 breaks like a Z so shortening is a high possibility and if the ac joint is still in tact that would explain the scapula being pulled forward as he shows in the second video. I think at least some kind of shoulder bracing should be done to try to keep the broken bits aligned but an op to fit a plate would be better -- then a later op to remove the plate.
Is that what the imaging showed?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:18pm
Cowsham wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:12pm
Is that what the imaging showed?

Thanks

Jonathan
In my case mine had one break out at the distal end just beyond the other 3 ligaments pulling it down onto the scapula, his is too but 3 breaks so a Z break is very likely if not completely folded over it'll be badly disfigured and shorter. Not only that he'll have significant trouble with all the structures underneath that corner of the shoulder. I'd like to see his xrays though.

I've been told I can have mine but when I asked they made some excuse at the time so I couldn't get hold of them.

Was going to post them on here to show what can happen in that kind of fall. Also wanted to see in which way my ribs were broken cos I was told some had 3 breaks each. Doc was very surprised my lung didn't collapse.

Saw just last night on " helicopter er " tv program a paramedic putting a chest drain into a guy who collided with a wall in a motorbike crash. When he put his finger in through the hole in his chest he'd made under his arm he could feel the sharp fragments of rib and had to be careful not to split his glove or cut himself on the shards of broken ribs which could introduce infection to the patient. :shock: