How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Benz3ne

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by Benz3ne »

Cowsham wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 10:03pm Almost an off today passing through town. Although it's been dry all day today, which is rare, the roads have not dried much.

There is a grimy and, as I found out going round a 90 left, a greasy slippy surface.

At about 18 MPH both wheels of my mtb slide and I'm meeting a massive lorry.

Thankfully the wheels gripped enough to stay upright. Phew! :shock:
Yikes! Just reading that is enough to bring one to the brink of brown trousers. Hope you’re not too shaken up by it.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Tiggertoo wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Benz3ne wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:19am
Tiggertoo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 10:12pm
I have the KEO's.
In which case, which cleats do you have (colour)? If I remember correctly, there’s black that has no float, grey that is 4 degrees and red that is 9 degrees. 4 degrees was a good amount for me, plenty to have a comfortable lateral movement but not requiring a large sideways throw to unclip.
I do understand what you mean about coming to a stop. I’ve found that learning to track-stand, or practicing unclipping while practically stationary, does help. Hoping you manage to work it out!
I have the red cleats with 9 degree option. Plenty of float and as you say it is important to adjust them to the loosest setting. I do believe my issue is mostly that I tend to lift my foot at the same time as twisting the shoe, mainly due to being concerned the damn things won't release. I'm working on it. :roll:
I have Looks on most of my bikes but the ones that have SPD's are easiest to release.
I’m half tempted to send you my fairly chewed up greys to try… I think (for me at least) 9 degrees would be a little too much wiggle-room, laterally. Although I went for 4* straight from the off, it has more than enough movement available for comfort and the unclipping point isn’t too ‘wide’.
Only issue is shipping is usually about a third of the price of third-party cleat options.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I'm normally off road the first part of January, so crashes nil, but tumbles into the ivy, quite a few!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Benz3ne wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 1:36am
Tiggertoo wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Benz3ne wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 5:19am

In which case, which cleats do you have (colour)? If I remember correctly, there’s black that has no float, grey that is 4 degrees and red that is 9 degrees. 4 degrees was a good amount for me, plenty to have a comfortable lateral movement but not requiring a large sideways throw to unclip.
I do understand what you mean about coming to a stop. I’ve found that learning to track-stand, or practicing unclipping while practically stationary, does help. Hoping you manage to work it out!
I have the red cleats with 9 degree option. Plenty of float and as you say it is important to adjust them to the loosest setting. I do believe my issue is mostly that I tend to lift my foot at the same time as twisting the shoe, mainly due to being concerned the damn things won't release. I'm working on it. :roll:
I have Looks on most of my bikes but the ones that have SPD's are easiest to release.
I’m half tempted to send you my fairly chewed up greys to try…
Bloody doges again
I am here. Where are you?
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Slowtwitch wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 7:15am I'm normally off road the first part of January, so crashes nil, but tumbles into the ivy, quite a few!
Such is the prerogative of the mountain biker.
First, one must think like a mountain...
Cowsham wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 7:49am
Benz3ne wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 1:36am

I’m half tempted to send you my fairly chewed up greys to try…
Bloody doges again
Well played, gave me a chuckle.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

No crashes this year.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Blondie wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 8:56am No crashes this year.
This is the type of stat we like to hear! Let’s hope the remaining 50 weeks are as fortunate!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've just got home from the minor injuries unit at Tavistock.

Went out on a ride on Moulton this morning, up out of the valley to Tavistock and was going to head out along Route 27 before heading back to Tavistock along the lanes and a different route back home. Supposed to have been a 20mile circuit ending up at the pub for a couple of beers.

Ha Ha Ha.
Got as far as the mini roundabout on the edge of town to turn right, when BANG. :shock:
Not going fast at all, and going round it like I have done many thousands of times, but both wheels just slid out to the left, and hit the tarmac hard onto my right. I was down in a split second.

Zero friction on the tarmac?
5degC so not ice.

Cut lower leg, deep gouges into my elbow, and a cut above my eyebrow.
Wonderful people came to my aid, and mopped up my blood and phoned for an ambulance. I asked them to get my phone out of my saddle bag and I phoned Mrs Mick F. 20mins later, no sign of an ambulance but Mrs Mick F turned up.
She and the people got Moulton into the back of our car, and Mrs Mick F drove me the half mile to the injuries unit.

Patched up, and ok. Aching all over, and a very sore right elbow. Not enough flesh to stitch up, so I have to give it three days and get my dressing changed. The rest of the wounds are ok to leave as and when, but the elbow injury went down to the bone! :shock:

That's me, sitting with my feet up and out of action for a while!
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I hope that it all heals quickly.

Jonathan
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Mick F wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 1:25pm That's me, sitting with my feet up and out of action for a while!
Oh no! That's quite a tumble you've had there. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.

Main ache now, is the right side of my chest.
Right arm compressed it somewhat. Bits between the ribs. Inter-wotsit muscles? Hurts when I cough.

Right lower inside leg calf and upper thigh bruised and ache quite a bit, but the wounds on my calf, elbow and above my eyebrow, aren't a problem.

I think the mini roundabout must have been greasy or something. As I said, I've been round it tens of thousands of times. Mercian and Moulton, and even the Raleigh Chopper and the RSW16. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heading this way, and going right.
Fell on the far side of the mini roundabout.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.54597 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just chatting and discussing ........................

Left the village at soon before 10am and down into the valley bottom and over the bridge into "England".
Long sweeping righthander and uphill, and on the curve, there was a stripe of diesel. This stripe carried on up the hill.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52878 ... 384!8i8192

I wonder if the vehicle overfilled with diesel went round my mini roundabout and spilled diesel and that's why I fell.
Obviously zero friction as a bike is concerned and especially one with 20" wheels.

Right arm on my cycling top seems stained with dark brown.
My gear is all in the wash now, so we'll see if the stains come out.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get well soon Mick.

The odd weather is giving nice slippery roads.
I won't be on slicks until late spring.

P.S. When I wasn't expecting slippery bits summer, I went full pelt downhill and onto a very large banked roundabout, doing probably 25 / 30 hybrid mtb and the back end skipped out :?
Of course diesel and you've no chance.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Hope you heal soon and well, Mick.

A relative took a tumble on a curve last week and broke a bone in his arm. Taking corners is tricky business. I treat all bends with a great deal of caution these days, there is an awfully lot of crap on the road surfaces waiting to trip up little wheels.
I'm definitely going to get wider tyres needing lower air pressures.